Want Luffy's Hat? 100 Lucky Fans Get 'Em In Japan

Topic started by gia on April 27, 2010. Last post by Achilles 4 years, 8 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I hate for this morning to be all about cool stuff in Japan, especially stuff that would be very hard to import...but word on Comic Natalie is that 100 "perfect replicas" of Luffy's straw hat will be sold this June-- although I'm sure they'll all sell out during the preorder phase, which is now. They also run ¥4980, about $53 USD. (I will note that I'm not so sure that it's a "perfect" replica since as I recall Luffy's hat had a small cut in it. Then again all the promo images feature a little kid as Luffy, so I guess it's the pre-damaged hat.)

Preorders launch on April 30th-- which would start at, let's see, April 29th at 8am PST, if you'd like to poke around and see if it can be bought and shipped overseas. It doesn't look good though-- I tried to sign up for an account on the site and there's no overseas option for address; if you really want it you may have to find a proxy in Japan to ship it to.

You know, I can understand a limited-edition thing, but for a manga that sells millions of copies per volume, couldn't we have bumped it up to 500 or something?  (...On the other hand, I suspect most cosplayers can find a straw floppy hat and throw a ribbon on it for about a tenth the cost...)
Post by FoxxFireArt (2,649 posts) See mini bio Level 25
I'd be astounded after all this time this is some kind of new item.

Buggy caused a lot of damage back in Orange Town, where Luffy first met Buggy. Also. no matter the damage the straw hat has suffered. Nami has repaired it. It actually would be more authentic if it was aged a bit. Considering that Shanks had that hat back when he was much younger and passed it onto Luffy.

Cosplayers have been finding straw hats of their own for quite a while. This would only be for the psychotically obsessed fan.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I have to ask, what would you do with it?  Hang it up some place or wear it?  I find that I can only comfortably wear a hat that is my exact head size.  I've tried wearing hats that are as little as 1/4 of an inch off and shoved them aside.  So, since this hat obviously won't come to fit my head size (7-1/8) I won't be wearing it.  Which means it's a display piece.  Well, like a lot of knick-knacks, that means it will collect dust.  It's been my experience that straw needs particular vigilance because the dust easily settles between the fibers.  I guess you could build a glass case for it, but that seems like such an expense.   Buy this one for $10 and call it a day.

I wonder if it comes with a small folded piece of paper tucked away in the headband.
Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (7,010 posts) See mini bio Level 14
@FoxxFireArt said:
" I'd be astounded after all this time this is some kind of new item.

Buggy caused a lot of damage back in Orange Town, where Luffy first met Buggy. Also. no matter the damage the straw hat has suffered. Nami has repaired it. It actually would be more authentic if it was aged a bit. Considering that Shanks had that hat back when he was much younger and passed it onto Luffy. Cosplayers have been finding straw hats of their own for quite a while. This would only be for the psychotically obsessed fan. "

I want it!!!!!!
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,358 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Only 100? I can already see the pre-order website getting swamped with orders for them.
Post by Achilles (28 posts) See mini bio Level 3
It's actually Shanks hat, but lets not get technical  :p

I WANT ONE but I would prefer a ship or maybe a devil fruit xD
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel