ONE PIECE #567 - - Special Review

Topic started by No_name_here on Oct. 19, 2012. Last post by Om1kron 1 year, 11 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (856 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

Nothing in the packaging for ONE PIECE has ever made me think it'd have as bountiful a reservoir of “preposterone” as what's exhibied in this episode. I suppose I should’ve expected that - - it’s not one of the reigning shonen shows for nothing, right? - - but it was still pretty unfathomable to imagine Monkey D. Luffy as a hyper-masculine brawler on the level of, say, Son Goku.

Well, here we are with an episode mostly about Luffy bashing apart a sinking ship that’s supposed to be as big as Noah’s ark - - furiously punching away at the thing like it’s the car in some STREET FIGHTER bonus level. Of course, it’s not some exhibition of strength, either. Luffy’s unleashing this machinegun barrage of fists to save an entire island of imperiled fish people! The stakes are too high for any funny business!

Then what I assume must be the pantheon of colossal undersea fish gods appear to save the day and take the burden off the rubbery guy's shoulders. A veritable group-sized deus ex machina - - or deus ex aqua, perhaps. Since I’ve decided to pinch my nose and do a cannonball into the endlessly deep ONE PIECE pool, I feel like I just keep riffing on the same sentiments of how bizarre this show is. I honestly try to avoid getting too repetitive with my episode-by-episode commentary, but it’s fundamentally unavoidable to remark on the wackiness ONE PIECE exudes out of every single cel.

Look, this is an anime where the giant-sized mermaid girl is probably the least strange thing on screen, all right?

While the opening recap did a great job of getting me up to speed on the plot thus far, and I’m always getting the general gist of what’s happening, I’ll admit to feeling like I’ve swimming in some school of fish, right now. I don’t know where we’re coming from and, for damn sure, I don’t know where we’re going... but I’m enjoying all the colorful fish swarming around me. Let's get on to the latest episode, now!

Watch this episode, "Stop, Noah! Desperate Elephant Gatling!” here and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by YotaruVegeta (582 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The giant sea animals were hinted at for a while, and I wondered when they would return. I thought they would actually come to Luffy's aid at a moment when he was defeated, but it makes sense that giant creatures were the only ones who would be able to hold back the ark.

Post by RoninAutomaton (12 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Pinchuk, Converted’d!!

Post by FoxxFireArt (2,643 posts) See mini bio Level 25

ONE PIECE is a series that's really hard to draw comparisons to. The wackiness of the character designs is partly what allows them to go from comedy to drama. You just go with it, becasue it's fun.

Just a bit of FYI, Madam Sharley, the shark mermaid, looks so concerned becasue she's a fortune teller who foresaw Luffy being responsible for the destruction of Fish-Man Island. I believe she was worried that the falling Noah was going to be the incident she saw.

The Noah just isn't the size of the Noah's Ark. It's nearly half the size of Fish-Man island.

A veritable group-sized deus ex machina - - or deus ex aqua, perhaps.

Okay, that was a good one.

Post by zaldar (1,273 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@FoxxFireArt: yes that was pretty funny wasn't it? This isn't my kind of show but his humor is pretty good....doing a cannonball into the endless pool though might have been a little much (even if it is a true reflection of the number of shows in the series)

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I'm not sure if they're available yet on whatever streaming site hosts One Piece, but episodes 279-283 are a sort of recap for the first 7 crew members. They were broadcast when One Piece began airing on a different network. Might be worth checking out if you're not up to watching all 560 episodes you haven't seen yet!
Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Here's an interesting tidbit that also shows just how crazy this show is. Those Sea Kings that stopped the ship, you first see them in the very first opening (~45 seconds).

Post by YotaruVegeta (582 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Petiew:It's probably available on funimation. I caught up on a couple arcs there.

Post by Om1kron (143 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Petiew said:

I'm not sure if they're available yet on whatever streaming site hosts One Piece, but episodes 279-283 are a sort of recap for the first 7 crew members. They were broadcast when One Piece began airing on a different network. Might be worth checking out if you're not up to watching all 560 episodes you haven't seen yet!

If you have hulu plus and a ps3 the entire library of one piece is available for you to enjoy. the new 720 and 1080p shows look great on my television. I don't even watch OP in a browser anymore. So nice to sit down at 7pm pacific and watch something that aired in japan a few hours before.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel