Your Personality?

Topic started by Fat_Magnum on Jan. 8, 2013. Last post by Feral_Nova 1 year, 8 months ago.
Post by Fat_Magnum (2,493 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I recently, that is to say within the last six months, was introduced to a topic I, and some of my cohorts, found interesting: The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or MBTI. I'm sure there are a fair amount of you are familiar with the tool and the theories backing it, but even so, I'll leave a concise explanation copied (probably) from some place like wikipedia:

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment is a psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.

I thought it might be interesting if, should they so desire, members around the good ol' Vice took a brief questionnaire and posted/discussed their types if they like. Here's a link to one that doesn't ask for email info or any such thing.

I'll refrain from expressing the entirety of my views on the whole concept but put forward that I agree with Jung's statement that people are too complex to truly categorize so simply. That said, there has been an element of consistent accuracy in those I know who've messed around with this a bit.

To it then: My type usually comes up as INTP (sometimes as INTJ), meaning of the Indicator's four dichotomies I prefer introversion over extroversion, intuition over sensing as a means to gather information in my environment, thinking over feeling in making decisions and perceiving over judging in dealing with goals. Here's a relatively succinct overview of the type.

Feel free to have at it then, and I apologize if this comes across as a promotion of any sort, it's not intended as such.

Edit: I went ahead and took the indicator in the link provided, results were:

INTP

• You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (56%)
  • You have strong preference of Intuition over Sensing (100%)
  • You have strong preference of Thinking over Feeling (88%)
  • You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (11%)

Pretty consistent with how it (the MBTI in general, not necessarily this particular test) scores my results.

Edit: A site with a catalog of examples of famous people of each type. Here

And one with fictional examples here.

Keep in mind those are, mostly, speculated deductions from people who "get" the theory driving the MBTI's typing. Not difficult as it's only based on preference in 4 dichotomies.

Post by ComicMan24 (8,759 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I am an ISTP apparently.

@ComicMan24: Interesting, one of my acquaintances came up as ISTP as well. She seemed to disagree with the type fitting her. How about you?

I, being redundant in attempting to discern veracity and consistency(of most things really), have taken this thing around a dozen times and in various forms over a decent period of time (to see if there were any significant change, as put forward by the MBTI's skeptics).

The test I linked, for instance, typed me as INTJ but every other analysis suggests INTP with -J being a close second. It's not an exact science, not a science at all really (I view most of psychology in that light) unless of course you mean a sophisticated pseudo-science :P

Regardless of that, it's fun because it can often be accurate.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,231 posts) See mini bio Level 12

ENTJ

Extravert(89%) iNtuitive(25%) iNtuitive Thinking(38%) Judging(22%)

• You have strong preference of Extraversion over Introversion (89%)
  • You have moderate preference of Intuition over Sensing (25%)
  • You have moderate preference of Thinking over Feeling (38%)
  • You have slight preference of Judging over Perceiving (22%)

@Fat_Magnum: With some of it, I agree yeah. Like prefering to think things in a more realistic and mechanical way for example. But with some others like this "ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless." I pretty much disagree.

@Supreme Marvel: So basically Sauron. It all makes sense now... :P (people usually speculate he would be XNTJ, more often E-)

@ComicMan24 said:

@Fat_Magnum: With some of it, I agree yeah. Like prefering to think things in a more realistic and mechanical way for example. But with some others like this "ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless." I pretty much disagree.

I can understand that, I can agree that a lot of what INTJ traits are very similar to me, all except what is supposed to be the biggest INTJ thing: Planning and being methodical. Not my natural way of doing things lol

So "decisive, open-minded, self-confident, attentive, theoretical and pragmatic." but not "...approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or adversity."

Which is why I think I'm more INTP

@Fat_Magnum said:

@Supreme Marvel: So basically Sauron. It all makes sense now... :P (people usually speculate he would be XNTJ, more often E-)

lol

@Fat_Magnum said:

@ComicMan24 said:

I can understand that, I can agree that a lot of what INTJ traits are very similar to me, all except what is supposed to be the biggest INTJ thing: Planning and being methodical. Not my natural way of doing things lol

So "decisive, open-minded, self-confident, attentive, theoretical and pragmatic." but not "...approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or adversity."

Which is why I think I'm more INTP

Well we did established earlier that you would be a lousy villain. This test just confirms it :P

Even if you don't have that from what I see here, you do have some very nice qualities there.

Post by Sonata (35,688 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I am ENTP. 

I kinda hate personality tests it make me realize I have multiple personalities lol 

EDIT I was moderate in all categories and all were less than 40%

Ok, I did it again because I wanted to check something I forgot earlier and now apparently I am an ISTJ. So I have a different personality now lol

ISTJ

Introvert(78%) Sensing(1%) Thinking(12%) Judging(1%)

• You have strong preference of Introversion over Extraversion (78%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
  • You have slight preference of Thinking over Feeling (12%)
  • You have marginal or no preference of Judging over Perceiving (1%)

@ComicMan24: You'll see more of my negative side on the Vice.

Like my dismissive attitude towards anyone I perceive as illogical or unintelligent. My flippant disregard for propriety and people's feelings and (this is hard to discern through text but the following is actually part of my sense of humor) my displays of self-aggrandizement and overbearing ego. And of course, I generally only involve myself in the forum games where very little actual communication occurs. Also, this is over-sharing but was more than likely evident anyway: When I first started visiting AV, and for a while after that, I was in a state of mental... instability. The clinical definition of going crazy, to put it simply. I'm sure that created some hilarious impressions. :P

@Sonata: Hehe, I can understand that sentiment. One of the commonly held stereotypes for my type (purportedly) is that, in interacting with people face to face, since we don't really get interpersonal interaction that well (I guess) we take on behaviors and mannerisms of the person we are talking with as we converse (social chameleons is how they put it)

Some people aware of the INTP type and mbti therefore distrust them saying this innate habit is like having many personalities and is creepy. -_- As an aside, one of my closest friends is ENTP, but she took like the real pay-much-money-to-take thing, none of this free internet BS.

@ComicMan24 said:

Ok, I did it again because I wanted to check something I forgot earlier and now apparently I am an ISTJ. So I have a different personality now lol

Sort of, the 2 are fairly similar. You're the only one who would know which is more accurate, of course :P Since you are scoring your S so low, my guess is it may be an N, which would make sense. Most internet-y types are of the Rational/Intellectual temperament(i.e. everyoen who has posted in this thread so far.)

@Fat_Magnum said:

@Supreme Marvel: So basically Sauron. It all makes sense now.

That would make sense. I often have ideas of global domination.

@Fat_Magnum said:

@ComicMan24: You'll see more of my negative side on the Vice.

Like my dismissive attitude towards anyone I perceive as illogical or unintelligent. My flippant disregard for propriety and people's feelings and (this is hard to discern through text but the following is actually part of my sense of humor) my displays of self-aggrandizement and overbearing ego. And of course, I generally only involve myself in the forum games where very little actual communication occurs. Also, this is over-sharing but was more than likely evident anyway: When I first started visiting AV, and for a while after that, I was in a state of mental... instability. The clinical definition of going crazy, to put it simply. I'm sure that created some hilarious impressions. :P

Well if you check my posts, you will notice that most of them are not from conversations but from the games as well. And you seemed ok to me, when I first talked to you. Granted didn't know when you first came here but still didn't get any weird vibe from you.

@Fat_Magnum said:

@ComicMan24 said:

Sort of, the 2 are fairly similar. You're the only one who would know which is more accurate, of course :P Since you are scoring your S so low, my guess is it may be an N, which would make sense. Most internet-y types are of the Rational/Intellectual temperament(i.e. everyoen who has posted in this thread so far.)

If only I knew really. I don't really do well in those things.

@Supreme Marvel said:

@Fat_Magnum said:

@Supreme Marvel: So basically Sauron. It all makes sense now.

That would make sense. I often have ideas of global domination.

Why am I not surprised now? :P

Post by Aleasha (1,430 posts) See mini bio Level 17

INFJ

Introvert(33%) iNtuitive(75%) iNtuitive Feeling(12%) Judging(78%)

• You have moderate preference of Introversion over Extraversion (33%)
  • You have distinctive preference of Intuition over Sensing (75%)
  • You have slight preference of Feeling over Thinking (12%)
  • You have strong preference of Judging over Perceiving (78%)

I got some high percentages there lol. Except the feeling over thinking.

So, am I the only evil one here then?

@Aleasha: Ermahgerd you're the rarest type. If this is an accurate result of course. My little sister and mom are also this type, lawl

@Supreme Marvel: Well if I'm actually INTJ, then I would be like Saruman(maybe), Professor Moriarty, Father from FMA (Edward Elric is also INTJ) Here is a fun page to read on tvtropes, has long lists of fictional examples of these MBTi types. Oh sweet awesome L is INTP, actually now that I think of it he's almost the INTP-est character I can think of... lol

INTPs are a little too independent and detached to ever really care about controlling people, supposedly. So I guess I'm not evil, despite the redness of my name.

@Fat_Magnum: Im not sure what it means just yet so I can't say its accurate or not but im going to google it lol

Edit:

I would have to agree with most of what it says it fits pretty dang close thats crazy

@Aleasha: Yeah there are lots and lots of profiles out there for each of the types.

@Fat_Magnum: In regards to getting feelings about loved ones I once had a dream where my cousins normally white hat and glasses where flying through the air, the hat was red though. The next day I couldn't let him leave until I told him this I stopped him in the doorway to do so he laughed it off and left on his motorcycle 15 minutes later we get a call he was t-boned on his motorcycle and the first thing my aunt says when she gets back from checking on him (He had stitches in the back of his head and road rash but otherwise ok) is "His hat and glasses flew so far" when he got home and they where getting him settled he looked over at me and said " Are you happy now?" Of course not but it isn't a singular event. and PS he listened to me when I had a feeling after that.

the link I was reading off for my description

http://www.personalitypage.com/INFJ.html

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel