Your Favorite Movies Growing Up?

Topic started by KuroNekoXIII on Sept. 15, 2011. Last post by Newdeath 3 years, 3 months ago.
Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

As the title of the topic suggests, list your all-time favorite movies when you were growing up. These can be both animated movies, actual movies, and/or anime movies.

From the top of my head, my favorite animated movies were:

The Iron Giant

The Trumpet of the Swan

And my favorite movie was:

Homeward Bound

Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18

I can honestly say that I have always liked the Back to the Future trilogy to the point where I can say I have copies of it on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray now.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

This is much more of a Screened topic, but I'll bite. It's kind of hard for me to answer since my favorites have changed as I grew older. The movies I liked when I was still in single digits were different than the ones I enjoyed as a preteen and then later, a teenager. Well, let's get the big one out of the way first. I saw Star Wars when I was eight and it completely mesmerized me. That wasn't too unusual at the time and explains why Lucas will make a billion of his Blu-Ray releases even though they aren't the movies we grew up with. Star Wars fans just keep coming back like a beaten dog. The movies I liked when I was in short pants:

1. Benji (1974) ~ One of the very first movies I ever saw. I remember it because the dog was at the premiere in New York.
  2. The Cat from Outer Space (1978) ~ Space kitties! To paraphrase the kid from Up, "...but it's a talking [cat!]" Sci-fi and cute cats, the best of both world when I was young
  3. Grease (1978) ~ It was fun and full of rock-n-roll. It was my first "grown-up" record album, too.
  4. Abbot and Costello (any movie) ~ Local TV ran one every Sunday morning at 11am and I was there to see it.
  5. Godzilla (any movie) ~ Godzilla's awesome. Every kid knows that much.

As a preteen and early teenager, I explored older movies and watched a lot of stuff from the 30's through to the 50's. My grandparents grew up in the 30's so we would watch old movies together as a shared experience.

1. Bye Bye Birdie (1963) ~ a musical about rock-n-roll co-starring Dick Van Dyke and Ann Margaret. My mother was in her high school production of it so it's special to me.
  2. My Man Godfrey (1936) ~ a screwball comedy about a butler and a ditzy dame. It's probably why I love romantic comedies in anime so much.
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) ~ Come on, it's Raiders! It's still the best action-adventure movie ever.
  4. Ghostbusters (1984) ~ I think I saw it 3 times when I was a kid which was very rare for me.
  5. The Karate Kid (1984) ~ Just a classic of my youth. "Wax on, wax off"

High school is a time to create and develop who you want to be as a person. That usually comes down to doing whatever everyone else is doing, or being moody and choosing the exact opposite. I went the latter route but not in the traditional sense. As I said, I liked old movies, but I was also cartoon fanatic and so watched everything I could that was animated.

1. The Maltese Falcon (1941) ~ In high school I was reading a lot of mystery fiction and this story was among the very best film adaptions.
  2. Brigadoon (1954) ~ I just liked the characters in this one more than the story. That happens with anime these days, too. I'll look past a mediocre plot if I like the characters.
  3. The Thin Man (1934) ~ Another mystery movie but like Brigadoon, the characters of Nick and Nora Charles are what endears it to me.
  4. Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) ~ It was an animation lover's dream. The piano scene with Daffy Duck and Donald Duck still cracks me up.
  5. Project A-Ko (1986) ~ My very first anime movie. It's still among my all-time favorites.

Many of these movies are still among my most favorite as listed over on Screened. Favorite Movies and Favorite Animated Movies

Post by takashichea (14,356 posts) See mini bio Level 25

My favorite movie was Rush Hour. I watched two and three and think the original was the best.

For animated movies, I pick the first Pokemon movie and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Now, my favorite movie would be Princess Mononoke because I liked how the movie involved fantasy with the idea of man destroying nature, and I like Wall - E. Wall - E had a nice romance and the same theme with Princess Mononoke.

Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

My favourite movie growing up is probably Disney's Mulan. it's easily the movie i've seen most in my entire life and is one of my favourite movies of all time.

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
  1. Lion King
  2. Iron Giant
  3. Saving Private Ryan
  4. Band Of Brothers
  5. Stand By Me
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,358 posts) See mini bio Level 19

Boy...the list could go on forever if I had to name off all of my favorite movies that I grew up with. Below are the Top-10 that I narrowed it down to (in no particular order):

1. Iron Giant

2. Who Framed Rodger Rabbit

3. Pokemon: The Movie

4. Castle in the Sky

5. Princess Mononoke

6. Homeward Bound (Timeless classic that I still watch today)

7. The Green Mile (watched when 11, loved it enough to watch it once a year since)

8. Pokemon 2000 (The Movie)

9. Toy Story/Toy Story 2

10. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Still watch it each Halloween)

Bonus: Forrest Gump, Flubber, and Mrs. Doubtfire

Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
  1. Iron Giant
  2. Toy Story
  3. Lion King
  4. Pokemon: The Movie
  5. A Goofy Movie

ND

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel