Why is reading always associated with intelligence?

Topic started by Killer_of_trolls on Nov. 2, 2012. Last post by sickVisionz 1 year, 10 months ago.
Post by Killer_of_trolls (1,563 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I never understood that.

How is reading a novel/short story different from watching a movie.

How is reading book different from viewing a documentary.

How is reading the newspaper different from watching news.

Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

i think it is because you have to imagine the scene and the sounds of the story .this is regarding books and novels, newspapers are not different from movies.

Post by Killer_of_trolls (1,563 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@SilverGalford said:

i think it is because you have to imagine the scene and the sounds of the story .this is regarding books and novels, newspapers are not different from movies.

yeah, makes since. forgot about that.

Also, maybe because reading is usually the main source of studying in schools in most cases.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,134 posts) See mini bio Level 12

You usually learn something from reading.

Post by Fat_Magnum (2,493 posts) See mini bio Level 16

It isn't. I'd say reading is just a fundamental of civilized life.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,724 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Reading also helps you recognize and pronounce hard words, also is better for the mind.. because it makes your thinking abilities stronger I think.. lol

but for reals, reading is better than watching... unless you are experiencing that moment than it's different.

hope that makes a little sense.

Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I think the notion is a holdover from older times. Being literate is important but I don't associate reading with intelligence. Someone could read a book to learn how to do something and still not be as good at it as a person watching a YouTube video detailing how to do it with examples and all of that.

My old video job had some interns come in and one of the hardasses (a nice guy, but blunt and a hardass) drilled some kid who didn't know how to operate a camera. He asked him how much experience he had and when the kid replied, "I did this in school," he said school is not experience.

I take reading to be the same way. Spending 3 whole days reading a book about how to do something isn't even 1/4 as useful imo as 3 hours of hands-on training about it. In almost any situation, I'd prefer someone with x amount of hands-on training than someone with an equal amount of book reading about the subject. To be honest, out of all learning methods, reading is probably the least useful way of learning something in a way that's actually going to be useful in application.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel