Why do people think they have to protect the strongest character?

Topic started by TheManipulater on June 26, 2010. Last post by kira112 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by TheManipulater (725 posts) See mini bio Level 10
 I hate  it. in everything from movies to comics to anime the WEAK  character always think that they have to protect the strongest one and they only end up getting in the way. so now the strong character has to protect the weak one while fighting the bad guy. IT PISSES ME OFF 
Post by OmegaMekix (3,847 posts) See mini bio Level 16
It does get annoying but the strong one sometimes can't get back up so the weak character actually saves them. It is to show how courage is the first step the strength. But it is done too often and is usually performed wrong.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
I don't think it's about weak and strong.  I don't think they're thinking I'm am weak, therefore I must protect someone who is strong.  I think it's more about characters protecting a person that they like, love or know must survive.
Post by TheManipulater (725 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@sickVisionz said:
" I don't think it's about weak and strong.  I don't think they're thinking I'm am weak, therefore I must protect someone who is strong.  I think it's more about characters protecting a person that they like, love or know must survive. "
Like in inuyasha kagome runs in to try to ''save'' inuyasha when he has the situation under control. she gets attacked or tooken hostage so he cant perform as well as he could with her not interfering thats one of the reasons i DESPISE orihime she whines more than sakura did 
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
Orihime isn't whiny imo.  She pretty much just sits in the background and lets everyone do whatever they want and then heals them up when they get injured or protects them from an attack.
Post by Chroma (146 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@sickVisionz said:

" I don't think it's about weak and strong.  I don't think they're thinking I'm am weak, therefore I must protect someone who is strong.  I think it's more about characters protecting a person that they like, love or know must survive. "

Agreed, the only problem I have with it is when it is predictable. It can seem cliché when a weaker character puts him/herself in danger to protect a stronger character, just so that "hero" character then has to rescue them. I suppose it depends on how it is executed. 
Post by segagiess (265 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@OmegaMekix said:
"It does get annoying but the strong one sometimes can't get back up so the weak character actually saves them. It is to show how courage is the first step the strength. But it is done too often and is usually performed wrong."

not only that, but its old, like 60 years!!!!!
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
any more examples other then Inuyasha? I'm kind of interested why i never noticed it.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Orihime
Post by jewl122 (326 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Wow. i do know what the guy is sayin', though
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@segagiess said:
" @OmegaMekix said:
"It does get annoying but the strong one sometimes can't get back up so the weak character actually saves them. It is to show how courage is the first step the strength. But it is done too often and is usually performed wrong."
not only that, but its old, like 60 years!!!!! "
WTF, what is 60 year? there's not thing refrenced about time, camaraderie extend more than 60 years
 
@sickVisionz said:
" Orihime isn't whiny imo.  She pretty much just sits in the background and lets everyone do whatever they want and then heals them up when they get injured or protects them from an attack. "

which is what a healer should do, her main power is super healing, she is the ONLY medic in the team, if she actually get hit/die, who would heal?
Post by kira112 (1,066 posts) See mini bio Level 9
theres no such thing as weak and strong its all about how you defeat the enemy  that is all
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel