Why are breasts considered sexual?

Topic started by justanormalguy on April 25, 2012. Last post by killermike 2 years, 4 months ago.
Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

You know, to the point and degree where they have to be completely censored out? Well, not even the breast itself, just the nipple. See, I started watching a few anime series like Sekirei and Manyuu Hikenchou, and I began to wonder... what's the big deal? See, when I began to analyze things, it turns out like this -

Men's chest is considered normal. Why? Because it isn't used as a sexual product in marketing, although clearly we all know a hot body on a man a female is attracted to.

Why are women's breasts so coveted? Thinking through the eyes of an intelligent human being, it has to do with how they are portrayed.

*Fact* If women's breasts weren't used as sexual products, and so highly kept censored, wouldn't the general public begin to see them as just another.... "eh, show us something new". That's probably the most rational thought one can put into deducing this question. Just like men's chest aren't censored, neither should the female breast. *disregarding the fact that some men have larger breasts than women, and in Africa there have been cases where even men began lactating in order to feed their young when their mother died* . Just the simple fact that they are highly censored to the general public and used in a sexual manner, that's what drives men to covet them so highly. It's that censorship that promotes sexual urges and drives. What's more coveted than something kept in secret? A lost treasure. A female breast. Both unknown. Both highly coveted. Both kept under wraps.

It's really adding 2+2 together. When logic surpasses personal ignorance, or rather personal insecurity (the mentality most women have about their breasts only proves insecurity), the world can truly be equal. In Europe, the mentality is much more... well, open and free - if that makes any sense. No one is insecure about their bodies. They got what they have, and they enjoy it. And it's because of that free and open thinking that allows even men to be comfortable around topless women. Not only are they showing confidence, but it's just something so normal. You see it every day, and it becomes... normal. Like a man's chest here in America. It is just seen as normal.

Places like America and Japan, you can see how childish their mentality is when it comes to sex. There are reasons why women(and even men) go to topless support rallies demanding equality. Anime has a huge over-sexualization of the female breast because of the childish mentality that the Japanese have. Here in America it is the same thing.

I ask a simple question to you all... why? Why are breasts considered sexual? My answer? Insecurity and censorship. Or really, just childish mentality.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,183 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@justanormalguy said:

I ask a simple question to you all... why? Why are breasts considered sexual?

Because women have them, and men are naturally attracted to women, so men find breasts attractive. Mystery solved!

I mean sure, marketing over-sexualizes breasts. But it's not marketing that made breasts sexy. They already were, otherwise the marketing wouldn't work as well as it does. Think about it, if they censored the bare arms of women would arms suddenly become super sexy? No. Everyone has arms, who cares.

If men had breasts then it wouldn't be a big deal, because then breasts wouldn't be feminine.

Lets flip it around to help prove my point a bit. As a general rule, women find muscular men attractive. Why? Because during puberty, boys get stronger, their muscle-mass increases. Probably because back when the human race was young, long before we got too smart for our own good, men were running around hunting and scavenging. We needed muscles for that, and they only developed those muscles further during hunting, scavenging and so on. Therefore, muscles are masculine. See what I'm getting at?

That's my theory anyway. Media doesn't make breasts sexy, it just promotes the fact that they are.

Post by Daveyo520 (30 posts) See mini bio Level 10

lol

Post by Hot_Karl (4 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I feel like an actual discussion of this would be interesting to take part in...if this was another forum. But because it's Anime Vice, that won't be happening.

It's sexualized in at least American society, and it's known as a erogenous zone, but compared to other erogenous zones on a female (like a stomach or legs or whatever), it's taboo to show bare female breasts.

Also, they're distinctly a female characteristic. Women have breasts, that's what makes them women (or at least that's how we know them as such), so it's tied to their sexual nature, and our sexual nature as well.

@VinceNotVance said:

I feel like an actual discussion of this would be interesting to take part in...if this was another forum. But because it's Anime Vice, that won't be happening.

Why not? There are plenty of users here who can discuss a topic like this without being immature about it. I think it would probably get spammed more on other forums to be honest.

they're distinctly a female characteristic

Exactly. The guy in the original post said how a man's bare chest isn't censored and how some men have breasts, which is missing the point entirely.

@justanormalguy said:

in Africa there have been cases where even men began lactating in order to feed their young when their mother died

Well that's something... to not think about. Ever. Now we know why men have nipples I guess?

Post by takashichea (11,879 posts) See mini bio Level 25

In my home country (my mother's side), showing breasts was tolerated until French came in and established the etiquette and customs. In third world tribes, you see women exposing their mammaries. Breasts are served for breastfeeding in those culture. It's more of sociological aspect in industrialized countries. Showing breasts is violating the norms and that makes it taboo. That taboo makes breasts oversexualized.

@Daniel_Newton - My response to your question is this - why were female bellybutton not allowed to be shown bare on TV for a long time? I remember reading about this back in the... 30's? Yeah. Just because someone has something, that doesn't mean anything. You spoke about arms. Why weren't men's bellybuttons censored too? Both men and women have them. My point? I don't think it has to do with the fact that women have breasts. It's how the media has presented them to us. I think that's the real issue and factor.

@justanormalguy: The bellybutton thing is more to do with censorship in general (and maybe even society in general, I believe women used to cover up more than men) than it is do with which body parts are considered sexual. Not that stomachs can't be considered sexy, but that's besides the point.

I'm not saying breasts would get the same sort of attention that they do now if they hadn't been focused on by the media. Obviously they wouldn't. But extra attention or not, women have them and men don't. That alone is enough for men to find them curious and attractive, and that's without all the points I made before.

Post by Yusuke52 (425 posts) See mini bio Level 15

@justanormalguy: That was because they thought it "Simulated" a vagina, which is more commonly associated with females, hence why it was censored on females and not males.

Post by KuroNekoXIII (427 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I think the two main factors in play here are the classic "nature vs nurture".

Nature: Using pre-historic artwork and sculptures as my reference, I would say that breasts are seen as something sexual and feminine. Pre-historic sculptures have females with exaggerated breast size and such, which, as my philosophy teacher said: "appeal to human senses". If you look at it from an artistic point of view, breasts can symbolize fertility, motherhood, maturity, etc. So all in all, breasts are ultimately sexual, and related to female puberty.

Nurture: Society and our culture ultimately shapes us to be the people we are today. So the way we deal with reacting to seeing bare breasts would be based on how we are conditioned to react to it.

That's what I think.

If breasts weren't censored and considered taboo as they are, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But this is after years and years of evolution. I just think women are insecure about their bodies, and men are not. I don't think it has anything to do with them having breasts and us not. Because when I was young, the only thing that drove me crazily about wanting to see the female breast was because I was told that they are this and that, keep away from them, and respect them and all that. A sort of mental brainwashing, I would think. If I wasn't told this, or anyone was for that matter, and women were more open about what they have, like the male chest, and not so insecure, I don't think that drive of sexuality, so to speak, would exist today in any human being.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,244 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Because its life greatest mystery, anyway who really cares

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,244 posts) See mini bio Level 21

From one of my text book (I cut it down to make it shorter):

All other Hominids use the buttocks as their sexual attractor. But Humans walk upright and frequently are facing each other. So, Humans evolved permanently swollen breasts as an alternate sexual attractor. You will note that the general shape of the human breasts is similar to the buttocks: rounded with a cleavage between them.

Its instincts, not brainwashing

Post by Bigheart711 (3,805 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Female breasts happen to be viewed more as sexually attractive than male chests even though the nipples of both genders happen to be erogenous zones. I live in the US, which also happens to be known for over-sexualizing breasts in the mass media. Female breasts serve different views in other countries, but a good number of countries happen to sexualize them. One thing I don't seem to get however, though was about why female breasts can be uncensored on TV in France. (or is that most of Europe?) I think they were considered less sexual back there, but then again, I'm not so sure about that.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,676 posts) See mini bio Level 17
boobies!! I think they are considered sexy cause men are attrated to them idk?? or it's just another life mystery question like Destinyheroknight said.
Post by taichokage (12,986 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Lol. Interesting topic for my first off topic post. Well, men are attracted to women's breasts in most instances. Although men often are self conscious about their own chests interestingly enough. I read somewhere that it was the muscle men desire to develop more than any other area on their bodies on average. Also though it's probably because men are less sexually uncomfortable showing themselves to the opposite gender, whereas women might tend to feel vulnerable, literally allowing clothing to be a sort of shield against sexual drive. Also women play hard to get a lot more than guys. It's developed to an extent now where just having a girl reveal her chest might be an accomplishment for guys.
Post by TheNobody (289 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Because our wangers go up every time we see them, it's just natural :P
Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18

Boobs--or breasts, have always been viewed as sexual. Men are usually attracted to the opposite sex, and part of it probably has something to do with physical attraction. Maybe. It doesn't even have to be the female's breasts; legs, belly button, ass, hell even collarbone, and guys be fapping everywhere. It's in our natural instinct. It's the same thing vice versa. The difference is that nudity was much more tolerated back say, 1000 years ago compared to today.

The media just promotes what's already sexual in the first place, but to the point of exaggeration that it tends to create that childish mentality you're referring to. And it's not even just the media; religion and various social movements throughout history may or may not have had an effect on how we view sexuality on both men and women.

But that's just what I think anyway.

Have any women responded? I want to hear their take on this.

Post by Haofan123 (3,675 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Destinyheroknight said:

From one of my text book (I cut it down to make it shorter):

All other Hominids use the buttocks as their sexual attractor. But Humans walk upright and frequently are facing each other. So, Humans evolved permanently swollen breasts as an alternate sexual attractor. You will note that the general shape of the human breasts is similar to the buttocks: rounded with a cleavage between them.

Its instincts, not brainwashing

this. thats pretty much all there is to it

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel