What is good storytelling ?

Topic started by ownagepants on July 22, 2014. Last post by Dream 2 months ago.
Post by ownagepants (382 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I have always wondered this what classify s as good storytelling I mean their have been great movies books anime and their all retreads of the same basic plot line and then their are stories that really out their like Another, Usual suspects , reservoir dogs they have nothing in common but they all have great plots with a variety of simple to complicated premises so what are the key ingredients that make them all work?

Post by takashichea (12,396 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@ownagepants:

You need to change your avatar. I almost deleted your thread for spam.

Edit:

This thread is like your Why I think romance often ruins a story.(Still in progress).

@takashichea: No that just talks about romance specifically this is a more broad question ?

Online Now

@ownagepants:

I wasn't clear. It's more like you ask questions that can be apply to more than just anime. It's better to make into an open ended thread than doing an argument in a blog. I notice folks tend to read comments than the OP most of the time in our community.

@takashichea: And about my avatar gintoki is my favorite Anime character how can he not be my Avatar .

Online Now

@ownagepants:

Off-Topic: That's a fan art of Gintoki. I use the avatar images to pinpoint spam threads. Sometimes during spam bot raids, I just delete everything that has that avatar. It helps me if the new users change their avatar. Sometimes, I makes mistake in distinguishing user and spam bot especially new users whose names I don't recognize yet.

On-Topic:

Story telling is pretty much involves a lot of elements from exposition, characters, music, tone, ending, etc. There is no perfect answer for what makes good storytelling because it depends on folks' preferences.

sickVisionz would always said this

Different Strokes for Different People

@takashichea: Their it's changed and is still gintoki.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,141 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Subjective topic. Hard to pin point.

For me personally, I like characters. the plot could be bad, or silly. But if the characters are good, then I can read/watch on regardless of the quality of the plot.

Post by Dream (7,668 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

Good storytelling is a title taking its time to build things up, drop some hints to tease me in anticipation of things to come, flesh out relevant aspects of the title's world and characters and then devote said final episodes to showing everything that is happening (some exposition is okay, as long as it isn't overused) and having some sort of conflict that challenges the characters and undergo some sort of significant growth or come to terms with some sort of internal conflict. Put all these elements together nicely and you'll get a gem. It's becoming rather difficult to find titles that follow these steps of good storytelling in recent years, especially with titles based on ongoing source materials.

@Dream: What if they hold some information back in order to keep anticipation up for a sequel or second season?

Post by Dream (7,668 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now

@ownagepants: That would depend on how popular the title in particular is. In many cases, anime based on ongoing source material is used as promotional material for folks to buy whatever manga, video game, novel, etc... that the title is based on. In many instances, said anime's not getting a sequel, spinoff, prequel or remake. I'd be giddy if the rest of my favorite 2013 anime Aku no Hana adapted the rest of the manga, but I highly doubt that is happening with the manga having recently ended and the nice amount of backlash the series got from irate fans last year because of the rotoscoped animation.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel