What are your thoughts on smoking cigarettes?

Topic started by Bigheart711 on March 6, 2012. Last post by Kobra678 1 year, 2 months ago.
Post by Bigheart711 (4,215 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I wanted to share my thoughts on smoking cigarettes and other tobacco-related stuff to you guys as well (Since I can't find another thread about it over here anyways). Being around people who smoke that doesn't bother me up to a point, but I seriously have no desire to smoke at all. In my opinion, If people wanted to damage their sight and lung capacity (and other bodily functions), then that's just their business.

What do you guys think of it? Do any of you smoke at all?

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,389 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I dislike smoking so much

Post by MrDirector786 (4,512 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I don't smoke and I never will smoke. But if other people want to smoke then that's their problem.

Post by The Stegman (154 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I don't smoke and I never will smoke. But if other people want to smoke then that's their problem.

Post by UsachanMaN (4,659 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Never smoked and never will. When I was younger I could tolerate the smell of cigarettes, but now I cant breathe when I'm around someone that's smoking.

Post by GhostRider29 (176 posts) See mini bio Level 8

Deathly allergic to smoke. Lost a lot of family to smoking. I'm against it. I don't see why cigarettes are allowed to be made. All it does is charge money to slowly kill yourself. It's horrible that people actually enjoy making business out of killing others.

Post by sickVisionz (4,311 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I don't like the smell of cigarettes, but smoking as a concept doesn't bother me. That's life. I've got a car. I can always just go somewhere else if it's too much. Public consumption of cigarettes has been so regulated that this is rarely an issue these days though.

I don't have any issue with people making and selling cigarettes. Their consumption in public has been so restricted that they really aren't hurting anyone other than themselves. If someone wants to hurt themselves, let them. They're adults, they can make their own decisions. I don't think cigarette companies are any worse than some French restaurant serving me a pasta dish that's like a 1,000+ calorie artery clogger or a McDonald's selling me super sized fries dripping in salt and grease. Eat too much of it and you'll die, but it's totally optional. If you like it and aren't hurting anyone other than yourself, why should someone else even care?

Post by MrDirector786 (4,512 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@GhostRider29 said:

Deathly allergic to smoke. Lost a lot of family to smoking. I'm against it. I don't see why cigarettes are allowed to be made. All it does is charge money to slowly kill yourself. It's horrible that people actually enjoy making business out of killing others.

They are allowed to be made because they make a lot of money. Not only that but getting rid of cigarettes won't stop people from wanting to smoke. Like getting rid of guns won't make people not want to kill. A gun on its own is harmless but in the hands of a dangerous person it becomes deadly. Or getting rid of unhealthy food won't stop people from becoming fat. Unhealthy food won't magically turn people fat - people become fat because they decide to eat unhealthy food all the time. People are ultimately responsible for their own actions.

Post by Sonata (35,693 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I can't stand cigarette smoke it lights my allergies up. I also get pounding headaches from the it as well.
Post by GhostRider29 (176 posts) See mini bio Level 8

@MrDirector786 said:

@GhostRider29 said:

They are allowed to be made because they make a lot of money. Not only that but getting rid of cigarettes won't stop people from wanting to smoke. Like getting rid of guns won't make people not want to kill. A gun on its own is harmless but in the hands of a dangerous person it becomes deadly. Or getting rid of unhealthy food won't stop people from becoming fat. Unhealthy food won't magically turn people fat - people become fat because they decide to eat unhealthy food all the time. People are ultimately responsible for their own actions.

Yes but Guns can protect people. Food can feed a starving person. What do cigarettes do? Nothing but kill. I know people are responsible for their own actions, but I just don't see why cigarettes are of any benefit for anyone except the greedy humans that don't care what happens to anyone else. Guns and food both have their own benefits. Cigarettes literally have no benefit for anyone except the evil douche that makes it and sells it.

Post by sickVisionz (4,311 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@GhostRider29: Some people enjoy the feeling they get from smoking.

Post by Fehafare (9,641 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Never smoked nor will i ever do it, but personally i got nothing against it and i don't mind the smell either (it can be annoying tho).

Post by Neurotic (41 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I have smoked on occasion, but was drunk for those times and did not enjoy it. I can see the appeal. The whole ritual of it seems like it can be as relaxing as the chemical side of it is supposed to be. I just wouldn't take up the habit myself. Way too expensive and I'm unhealthy enough without smoking.

As for other people doing it, that's their business. I know many people who smoke and I wouldn't dream of nagging them about it.

Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

1) you can die .

2) pollute the air and destroy the ozone layer .

3) it's so annoying , and non smokers can be seriously affected (specially if they suffer from some respiratory disease )

Post by Anzendenai (413 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I don't smoke

And no i have no particular reason

Post by Cathryn (7 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I smoked for about 12 years, about a pack per day. I finally quit successfully last May. I have to say that I was super surprised at how great all my post-quit medical exams went. I've recovered so well that it almost seems a bit ridiculous that I quit. I mean, I'm happy that I did quit, but for all the evidence proving how terrible smoking is for you, it's pretty amazing how quickly you can recover from a lot of it so long as you quit young enough.

Post by Fat_Magnum (2,493 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Grew up in a family of smokers and had a relative die from it, I never picked up the habit and never will. I'm pretty laid back about issues like that. If someone wants to smoke it's their choice, just a long as no one is all making my living space smokey n' such.

Post by Greysmokeman (165 posts) See mini bio Level 5

i stoped....

a cross in the tombstone...

Post by Guyver (3,424 posts) See mini bio Level 14

Lung Cancer.

Post by Halberdierv2 (1,300 posts) See mini bio Level 17

It looks cool, but isn't worth it. worse off if you're athsmatic.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel