We need more people in this "section"!

Topic started by Baal_Raam on Nov. 5, 2013. Last post by Dream 8 months, 1 week ago.
Post by Baal_Raam (617 posts) See mini bio Level 9

What gives! We need to promote anime vice or something here! We're lacking a more mature audience and a place to call a sacred hang, anyone has any ideas?!

Post by takashichea (10,647 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@Baal_Raam:

We do have a forum for anime discussion. It's just that folks, mainly battle folks, don't check out the Community Directory: Discussions, Clubs, Projects, Lists, & More! or #Anime Vice Discussion Threads.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,669 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@takashichea said:

@Baal_Raam:

We do have a forum for anime discussion. It's just that folks, mainly battle folks, don't check out the Community Directory: Discussions, Clubs, Projects, Lists, & More! or #Anime Vice Discussion Threads.

Some news articles have linked to these kinds of forms, so there was a lot of promotion on that right, but was it even enough after all?

Post by xlab3000 (1,359 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@takashichea said:

@Baal_Raam:

this

Online Now

@Bigheart711:

Yes, that's awesome, but we need more new blood in those forums. We got to keep growing. I know some folks requested some discussion threads. It was only them interested in those threads. There was no one else. All I could do is bump it, but I couldn't comment or respond because I haven't watch that show like Monogatari or Samurai Flamenco.

@takashichea: .....We need women and lots of them in the off topic section. We need people who don't mainly care about Vs. battles to come and make stupid threads. I mean just look at MvC and how they do it. There is always something stupid to talk about, not that i'm siding or anything; just giving an example. Sometimes I might want to hear what one has going on in his life, while another will post a stupid thread regarding stupid threads and that person who made the stupid thread will have something to say. You know, basically the entertainment section. Although, I wouldn't advise the section for people who can't handle that kind of stuff.

I also would welcome more members talking about mature things, if you catch my sudden drift. I wouldn't also advise this for people who aren't mature about the situation. And when I mean mature in the sense that certain kids won't go, eww or thats gross. I mean people who enjoy this kind of stuff. If we want to talk about when the last time we boned a girl, or when the last time we blah blah blah, then I advise the mature audience who are entertained and are by no way too young to understand this.

Understand i'm currently 18, so naturally I'll "feel some type of way" about these sort of things. I'm not thirsty, there just needs to be mature audiences here. Also anime is not just for kids and there shouldn't be Off topic sections for nothing besides "to just look at the section when you accidently clicked on it because you were going to the battle part of AV".

Online Now

@Baal_Raam:

I understand. I know we have a lot of forum games. A year ago, the forum thread was dead, and people were complaining that we had no serious discussions. My teammates, KuroNekoXIII, Daniel Newton, and others and I worked tirely to review new anime shows. This took a lot of time from our schedule, and that's why Daniel created the discussion threads this year. I think it started last spring. I lost a lot of good teammates who told me they couldn't handle reviewing anime and working on the wiki project.

Around this time, we have more battle thread and RPGs which is good. Though, it pushes down the discussion threads. There is a kink in the system. It's the way how people view forums. I remember the How do you browse the forums? that was started by . That's a big double edged sword. Outside the community, people looked at Anime Vice with disgust saying that we don't talked about anime. All we do is play forum games and battle threads. Screw them.

In the end, it's the community's drive to create and nurture discussion. It's what you put it is what you get. Right now, more battles and games than mature discussion are put in.

We need women and lots of them in the off topic section.

Regarding women, the anime industry and fandom actually has more female presence. It's not like the video game industry and its fandom. I did a survey 3 years ago: #Animevice Demographics vs Giantbomb demographics.

Animevice Gender Ratio
Animevice Gender Ratio
GiantBomb Gender Ratio
GiantBomb Gender Ratio
Online Now

@Baal_Raam:

I think I went off-topic. So, any ideas you want to proposed?

@takashichea: So this is legitimately the "Gender Ratio"? I did not think it would look this good, for I was expecting worse; although 24% isn't a good ratio at all. I get that we have more woman than expected... although I have only seen "Sonata" running around. Also, just hear me out when I suggest this, but I think Anime Vice should be promoted through "YouTube". How this is being done is only you're guess for I can only think about going to popular anime vids and screaming about Anime Vice and promoting mostly the female audience to attend (women that are older than me mostly. *sisisi*). I could some how pull that off, but its no guarantee that this will work, but FaceBook or Twitter can also be a good start on things(although I don't do jack with my accounts).

I'll try to release art vids on YouTube and hope for big views and promote Anime Vice maybe. There is ton of places, but i'm honestly not the best candidate to be trying to promote anything.

Online Now

@Baal_Raam:

It's a rough estimate since the numbers didn't add up to the sum of total users 3 years ago. Back then, the male and female links were operating. For some reason, they removed the gender links of the users if you see snapshots of the old list of users on that blog.

Existing Promotion

• Tom Pinchuk and Sam Weller have a Youtube channel.
  • There is a Facebook group. I used to post on it a year ago or so. I recalled Tom removing all my posts for no reason. I guess he didn't want me to promote the users' blogs and contents which makes the page look unprofessional.
  • Twitter is ran by
  • We have a steam group
  • We have a Twitter community thread run by : The Anime Vice Twitter Thread!
  • Lastly, we have a Crunchyroll group. I should start a Crunchyroll thread here to list all members because I recalled sickVisionz and DestinyHeroKnight wanting to give away their 48 hour gift pass to folks here. I'm here giving passes to my 2 best friends here: Acura and BigHeart711.

@takashichea: Hold up, hey this actually isn't a bad promotion plan you guy's have going on here. So basically there are a few guys running around on youtube I see. Twitter sounds like it needs more people on it, i'm thinking I can get into that actually. Whats a steam group? It sounds like minions or something of the whatever. Okay, so I see there is actually a twitter community going on and that's not half bad. Crunchyroll, seems like the big picture here when you look at it. Their all about anime and so are we! A lot more needs to go on in Crunchroll, for this is a big anime community I am guessing; I like it actually. I also think we might need to do some member theft; like taking some members off of current places, or have warm welcome invites of some sort.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,385 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@takashichea said:

@Baal_Raam:

I do -_-

I am part of 3 clubs.

Online Now

@DBZ_universe:

I know that you, AnimeDefender, and Kobra678 are pretty active across other threads. I'm talking about the majority of battle folks. If you watch the activity feed, you know that most of the forum activity belongs to the battle threads. We got to get them to at least try these threads.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,385 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@takashichea: Yes, I agree. We need more folks from the battle forum to be active in the other forums too. Such as joining clubs and other discussions sucha as blogs and chapter/episode reviews.

Post by Sonata (35,106 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@DBZ_universe: @takashichea: I would love to see that. Battle thread users watch more current animes,and have discussions about them. Then with new knowledge of other series the quality of the battle forums will increase as well. Everybody wins.

Post by sickVisionz (4,223 posts) See mini bio Level 24

There's some site that tracks stats about websites. I can't remember the name of it now but they break down things to a ridiculous depth.

Anyways, I browse the forum by a huge list of all the latest threads but I've blocked out RPG (not interested) and Battles (I will only upset myself by wandering into there). Not sure if it's just times I seem to come out, but there seems to be an uptick of people in the Artist Show-Off forum. I see those threads way more often than I used to... to the point where I thought I had blocked that forum from view. The sire overall seems a bit more active. I think my forum view is set to the maximum topics per page and I used to see stuff at the bottom that would be like 4+ days old every time. For the past handful of months everything on the bottom has been less than 2 days old. Still not the greatest (most forums I consider to be active are withing 24 hours) but it's a lot better than it was.

Alexa.com... that's the name of the stat tracking site.

According to them, "the audience for this site is similar to the general internet population" for both males and females. More stats here.

@DBZ_universe said:

@takashichea: Yes, I agree. We need more folks from the battle forum to be active in the other forums too. Such as joining clubs and other discussions sucha as blogs and chapter/episode reviews.

You say that... but do you go into the Battle forums? Do you know how much a clusterfuck it is there and the amount of vitriol those guys spew back and forth at each other? It's probably best that lock themselves up in there.

Post by AnimeDefender (2,662 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@takashichea: My theory is that majority of the Battlations (Yeah, I just gave a name for the people at the battle forum lol) don´t even know that the disscussion threads even exist. For the other threads, I believe that they are too shy to try other threads apart from battle since you need to be a bit creatitive (depending on which forum you are one) for some other threads. While in the Battle Forums all you need to know (which some still don´t follow) is how to structure it right, make it pretty, make sure it isn´t a stomp, and make sure it hasn´t been done before.

That is what I think of it anyways so I could be totally wrong lol!!!!!

Online Now

@AnimeDefender:

My theory is that majority of the Battlations (Yeah, I just gave a name for the people at the battle forum lol) don´t even know that the disscussion threads even exist

I did mentioned why the discussion threads aren't visited by battlations when I spoked to Bal Raam. It's because of how one views the forum threads:

A Battlation would just mark off everything except General Discussion, Off Topic, Just Anime, Just Manga, and Battles (hypothetically).

Now where are the anime discussion threads. They can see it because it's not there, you silly Pooh Bear. They used to be stored in the anime series's forum until Daniel stored them here in the #Anime Vice Discussion Threads. That is one of the reasons.

No one thought to click on the #Anime Vice Discussion Threads in the popular board section. Most of the times, they look at the top box instead of the popular board.

As for creative promotion, I use this method that you are familiar with:

Stalking
Stalking

You should know because I did it to you when you were a young user. I have done this with new users in the past when I spot them in the activity feed. (example: This user and ask who I shall invite to the Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Anime Discussion thread) I invite them a lot of them. I write on their walls or lists they make.

@Sonata:

I forgot to add you to that list.

@sickVisionz:

Wow, I should use that website. It's pretty accurate on the demographics.

Post by Dream (7,107 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I plan to resume Ani-Crap Review again in a few weeks. However, I'm likely gonna be on my last legs for full-blown anime viewing pretty soon and my next run of Ani-Crap will very likely be my final one. It's getting harder for me to find anything of good quality since outside of some exceptions, the anime industry's been playing things too safe with what they offer in recent years and I've creamed through enough memorable past offerings that I could dig up. Plus, it's getting harder for me to work up the motivation to put anything together here on Vice since many parts of the site either don't get much activity as they used to (Battles forum gets more activity than most sections on the site and even I'm getting to my limits dealing with some of the people that visit it) or have been left dead for at least a couple years now.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel