Unpopular Opinions

Topic started by Newdeath on July 4, 2011. Last post by KingOfAsh 6 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by YouFinished (1,027 posts) See mini bio Level 9
  • mainstream rap is just dreadful, absolutely dreadful.
  • having your toilet in the same room as your shower/bathtub isn't right.
  • all religion needs to disappear.
  • people focus on their appearance so much to such a point it's sad.
  • knowledge is win.
  • reading is win.
  • 2pac and notorious are overrated.
  • so is nas. 
  • illmatic wasn't all that great.
  • b.e.t is wrong.
  • spongebob has gone to shit.
  • t.v. has gone to shit.
  • jeff dunham isn't funny.
  • call of duty is mediocre.
  • j dilla is not the best.
  • america is overrated.
  • our world is based off lies and deception.
Post by MohsinMan99 (1,777 posts) See mini bio Level 21
@Superevil225 said:

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

@Superevil225: As that may be so, intolerance for other religions- Christianity especially- is just as prevalent with Buddhists as it is with Muslims... and that goes up to (and including) killing. 
Ahaha, I've heard that a lot. The fact of the matter is, somebody isn't a Buddhist if they do that. Buddhism is about accepting others, seeing things from their POV and learning from the world around you. Buddhists are against intolerance. There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.
So's the same. Islam also doesn't allow killing unjustly and is against intolerance. It's the people(or bad apples) who do the things and bring bad name to religion. Anybody who does that isn't a Muslim.

And I hope this thread doesn't become a religious debate now...
Post by Ryokan (291 posts) See mini bio Level 12
@fire_star
@fire_star said:
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: Age really doesn't matter, people who are below 21 can be far more mature than people over it. 

Very true. 

And yet, there are some things only time can teach... if you are mature enough to accept those lessons. 
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@sharingan_eyes: Well you're right Eminem is pretty consistent with his work. But the most consistent would be Lupe Fiasco for me.  

• Dragon Ball Z is nothing more than a decent anime
  • Wolverine sucks
  • KRS-One isn't even a Top 20 MC
  • Messi shouldn't have won the FIFA Ballon d'Or last year, it belonged to Xavi
  • Michael Jackson was innocent
  • Soulja Boy and Gucci Mane should quit rapping forever
  • Megan Fox isn't that attractive
ND

Another thread-inspired unpopular opinions  : 

1) Religion and reason should'nt never taken away from one another. 

2) Original soundtrack of DBZ was awesome ! 

3) Sex shouldn't be presented as a guilty pleasure. 

4) Science-Fiction is cool. 

5) History is fun, yet it's bound to repaet itself, as each generation must learn some lesson by themselves.
@SilverGalford said:

just because Buddhist people have been intolerant, it doesn't mean that the religion is violent.

There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.

but many people don't understand
And that's all I'm saying- some people just don't get their own religion. I think everybody's got blood on their hands for those involved in the Crusades... but Muslims- they're actually following their religion BY killing troops and each other overseas. If you don't believe me, actually pick up a Qua'ran and read it.
Unfortunately, they're NOT in the least following their religion. There is no verse of the Qur'an which prescribes killing as a remedy or which forces Muslims to fight in the name of God by killing others. It's a matter of taking things out of context and deliberately using it to one's ends. Stuff which some Muslims are using to incite the younger ones so as to give a bad name to all of us. 

This happens when people use those verses whose meaning is incomplete by itself. Such verses are dependent on the verses before them to derive their true meaning. Some verses, however are stand-alone. You don't need to refer to some other verses before or after these to judge their meaning. 
         What happens is basically this: You're reading verse X. It says to take revenge. But if you read verse W before it, it says if somebody is doing you gross injustice, is after you're life and property, is unjustly harming you to great extent to the point that your lives are on the line, then ONLY. 
 Killing unjustly is forbidden to the extent that it earns you are guaranteed ticket to Hell and the murderer will have the severest punishment imaginable. Taking a life, even that of a small creature like a bird or even an ant without any sensible reason is forbidden and one of the major sins in Islam.

@Everyone

I know guys that it is hard to resist but don't comment on other religions like you know all the odds and ends. That is my one request to you guys.  It is not religion which is the culprit;it's the people which have been born into it, ignore its ideals and sayings and do things of their own accord which is the reason why humanity is suffering today. Religion is just an excuse these people use to commit their atrocities and if anything wrong should happen, then they put the blame on religion.

Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@MohsinMan99 said:

@Superevil225 said:

@Superevil225: As that may be so, intolerance for other religions- Christianity especially- is just as prevalent with Buddhists as it is with Muslims... and that goes up to (and including) killing. 
Ahaha, I've heard that a lot. The fact of the matter is, somebody isn't a Buddhist if they do that. Buddhism is about accepting others, seeing things from their POV and learning from the world around you. Buddhists are against intolerance. There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.
So's the same. Islam also doesn't allow killing unjustly and is against intolerance. It's the people(or bad apples) who do the things and bring bad name to religion. Anybody who does that isn't a Muslim.  And I hope this thread doesn't become a religious debate now...
Actually, any Muslim who commits intolerance/violence/killing in the name of Allah IS a true Muslim, since they're following the later edicts of Mohammed to a 't'. The fact that you're ignoring this facet of Muslim doctrine shows how ignorant you really are. 

@Ryokan: Of course, there's one other thing on here that people tend to forget- I am a vet of the US Navy, proudly having served 2 1/2 years with the world's finest. So if you want to come up to me and tell me I'm being a tad bit childish/brash/whateverthefuck, then go ahead and say it- don't flag it.
@SilverGalford: The Crusades and the Salem Witch trials amongst various offences done in the name of the Christian God.
Again, it's blaming religion and escaping with it.
To those who have said I'm being personal with this and not quoting scripture from the Qu'ran, be sated in these words: 

Unbelievers 

2:191 , And slay them wherever ye catch them 

2:193 , And fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression 

2:216 , Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you 

3:28 , Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah  

4:48  “Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth; to set up partners with Allah is to devise a sin Most heinous indeed.” 

4:84 , Then fight in Allah’s cause - Thou art held responsible only for thyself - and rouse the believers. It may be that Allah will restrain the fury of the Unbelievers; for Allah is the strongest in might and in punishment. 

4:141 , And never will Allah grant to the unbelievers a way (to triumphs) over the believers  

5:33 , The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

8:12 , I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them  

8:15-16 , O ye who believe! when ye meet the Unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them. If any do turn his back to them on such a day - unless it be in a stratagem of war, or to retreat to a troop (of his own)- he draws on himself the wrath of Allah, and his abode is Hell,- an evil refuge (indeed)!

8:17 , It is not ye who slew them; it was Allah: when thou threwest (a handful of dust), it was not thy act, but Allah’s: in order that He might test the Believers by a gracious trial from Himself

8:60 ,  Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly. 

8:65 , O Prophet! rouse the Believers to the fight. If there are twenty amongst you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred: if a hundred, they will vanquish a thousand of the Unbelievers 

9:5 , But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem.

9:3 , And an announcement from Allah and His Messenger, to the people (assembled) on the day of the Great Pilgrimage,- that Allah and His Messenger dissolve (treaty) obligations with the Pagans. If then, ye repent, it were best for you; but if ye turn away, know ye that ye cannot frustrate Allah. And proclaim a grievous penalty to those who reject Faith.  

9:14 , Fight them, and Allah will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame, help you (to victory) over them, heal the breasts of Believers,  

9:23 , O ye who believe! take not for protectors your fathers and your brothers if they love infidelity above Faith: if any of you do so, they do wrong.  

9:28 , O ye who believe! Truly the Pagans are unclean; so let them not, after this year of theirs, approach the Sacred Mosque.  

9:29 , Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

9:39 , Unless ye go forth, (for Jihad) He will punish you with a grievous penalty, and put others in your place; but Him ye would not harm in the least.

9:73 , O Prophet! strive hard against the unbelievers and the Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is Hell,- an evil refuge indeed.  

9:111 , Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise): they fight in His cause, and slay and are slain: a promise binding on Him in truth, through the Law, the Gospel, and the Qur’an

9:123 , O ye who believe! fight the unbelievers who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you: and know that Allah is with those who fear Him.  

22:9 , (Disdainfully) bending his side, in order to lead (men) astray from the Path of Allah: for him there is disgrace in this life, and on the Day of Judgment We shall make him taste the Penalty of burning (Fire).  

22:19-22 ; These two antagonists dispute with each other about their Lord: But those who deny (their Lord),- for them will be cut out a garment of Fire: over their heads will be poured out boiling water. With it will be scalded what is within their bodies, as well as (their) skins. In addition there will be maces of iron (to punish) them. Every time they wish to get away therefrom, from anguish, they will be forced back therein, and (it will be said), “Taste ye the Penalty of Burning!”  

25:52 , So obey not the disbelievers, but strive against them herewith with a great endeavour.

25:68  ”Those who invoke not, with Allah, any other god, nor slay such life as Allah has made sacred except for just cause, nor commit fornication; - and any that does this (not only) meets punishment. “(But) the Penalty on the Day of Judgment will be doubled to him, and he will dwell therein in ignominy,- 

37:22-23 ,  “Bring ye up”, it shall be said, “The wrong-doers and their wives, and the things they worshipped- Besides Allah, and lead them to the Way to the (Fierce) Fire!

47:4 , Therefore, when ye meet the Unbelievers (in fight), smite at their necks; At length, when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them): thereafter (is the time for) either generosity or ransom: Until the war lays down its burdens.  

48:13  And if any believe not in Allah and His Messenger, We have prepared, for those who reject Allah, a Blazing Fire!

48:29 , Muhammad is the messenger of Allah; and those who are with him are strong against Unbelievers, (but) compassionate amongst each other.

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Sorry if you feeled that I pointed the finger on you, it wasn't my point at all.  ($h...t ! I wasn't even thinking about you ! :S )

I doesn't understand the point of stating the fact you're a Vet in this conversation. You can be proud of your country and your service, that's fine, but that's all that mean to me. No more, no less. 

So I suggest we follow this wise advice : 

I know guys that it is hard to resist but don't comment on other religions like you know all the odds and ends. That is my one request to you guys.  It is not religion which is the culprit;it's the people which have been born into it, ignore its ideals and sayings and do things of their own accord which is the reason why humanity is suffering today. Religion is just an excuse these people use to commit their atrocities and if anything wrong should happen, then they put the blame on religion.

Unless this, we will see this thread being closed very soon.

Eh? It seems like not only the PM, he posted it here as well? This was what I sent in return.
I couldn't just sit there and do nothing, could I? 
Whatever your faith may be, I'm sure none of you would like anyone cussing on their beliefs and so I had to reply. He even made this public...instead of discussing this over.
So, an open reply...for once.

@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

e by MohsinMan99
Online Now

You've actually made a big deal of this before, right? Or maybe you are one of those comparative religion guys. Also, you're deliberately quoting only a single line or half, choosing only one which suits your argument but are dismissing the total verse of which it is a part.

I won't be going to debate on all of them cause I've got no time but I would surely love to do all of them someday. For now, I'll deal with the first one:

2:191 
And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith. 

The previous verse:

2:190
Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors. 

The above is addressed to the Prophet and the time was events at Hudaybiyyah, date 6 A.H. The Muslims then were a growing community which was disliked by the Makkans, who had complete dominancy over Makkah and were rich and powerful whereas the Muslims, most of them were exiles and from the poor. The Makkans began persecuting the Muslims, prevented them from visiting their homes, performing the pilgrimage, torturing them, drove them out of Makkah and were forcibly trying to suppress them from performing their sacred duties and prayers and were also killing many of them. 

So, it is said to them not to take this injustice upon themselves any further. If the opposition has declared war on them, their culture, their religion and their lives and is already going all out to destroy them, where is it said it is wrong if the Muslims tried to defend themselves? They are told to not persevere the ridicule any further and fight the enemy, fight for Allah(in his way) but at the same time they are not told to go overboard and not to surpass limits.

Islam is the religion of peace, goodwill, mutual understanding and faith. But it gives no leeway to wrongdoing and its followers are expected to give their lives away for safeguarding their honor, justice and the religion which they follow. War is an evil but they are expected to not flinch from it when the situation demands it(an act of self-defence). The above verses command war only when the oppressors have crossed all bounds and you, like many others before are once again quoting out of context. 
 What is so wrong with you that you cannot distinguish it from other forms of killing? If a Lion is in front of you and has already begun to attack you, is is wrong to defend yourselves? Or is it right to let yourself be eaten by the lion?

2:192
But if they cease, Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.  
I do not need to explain this, do I? If the lion stops attacking and asks to be left alone(supposing it could), it would be entirely upto you to do as you please. But even in these circumstances, we have been commanded to forgive it and be done. Do not hunt people for their past misgivings. Most of the above verses you listed are revealed for similar situations but I haven't got time to go on them all right now.

It's probably not going to be any useful to provide a rebuttal or an answer for the others. I know from past experience what it brings:more arguments. You won't stop replying at this stage now, would you? Neither would I. This argument will probably consume a lot of my time and yours as well but it will all be waste when neither of us gains anything.  

I suggest you to stop this chat right now and get on with it:same goes for me. You're one of my good friends on this site and I hope it stays this way. 
Any further discussion would probably make you more aggressive(from your nature which I believe I saw on GB) and would make my family even more rude to me for wasting time on the computer.

I do not mean to sound rude if you were under the impression that people who debate on religion are(I know many who are so warning beforehand) but I'm stopping this right now. I expect you'd be doing the same hopefully, Bro. 

Thanks! 
----------------------------

I expect this is the end of this little chat: I hope everyone co-operates and discusses the subject of this thread without quoting us and dragging this any further than necessary.. I believe this would get locked unless you guys are going to co-operate.

• Pokemon is not a weak universe,
  • Goku is not the most powerful fictional character.
  • Vash is better than Dante.
@MohsinMan99: Well I'm sorry for making a sound argument against Islam, but also note that the man who wrote those words also taught that it was a good thing to practice pedophilia, considering that one of his wives (Aisha) was only seven years old at the time she was betrothed to Muhammad. To ignore a fact like that... just wow.
Post by Bigheart711 (3,811 posts) See mini bio Level 21
  • Forcing one's religion on other people is wrong.
  • Glee isn't a good show at all.
  • Also not a fan of High School Musical.
  • I Agree with Newdeath on How I Met Your Mother (not a fan of that stuff either).
  • Most sitcoms are rarely interesting.
  • Religion also isn't needed to achieve one's goals. (But it really depends on the person.)
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: *facepalm* You don't realize, that was commonplace in the Arabic culture during his time.
@Superevil225 said:
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: *facepalm* You don't realize, that was commonplace in the Arabic culture during his time.
Fact is, they're still trying to practice it... in Africa. I read the story in the Chicago Tribune YEARS ago, so I don't know if that still has validity to it.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

i completely agree with this , and certainly these terrible things in the name of religion God doesn't approve.
@SilverGalford: Zombie Raptor Jesus approves, however.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Zombie Raptor Jesus approves, however. 

well i think this is not a joke matter
@SilverGalford said:

Zombie Raptor Jesus approves, however. 

well i think this is not a joke matter
I try to lighten the mood, and you have to go and be a buzzkill.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel