Unpopular Opinions

Topic started by Newdeath on July 4, 2011. Last post by KingOfAsh 5 months ago.
Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9
- Although Eminem isn't the best rapper ever, he is the greatest (by greatest i mean, most clever, consistant, and witty) rapper of the past decade 
- Superman is interesting and cool 
- Light Yagami is better than Lelouch Vi Britannia  
- country music is more depressing than "emo" music 
-Dc comics heroes are better than Marvel comics, i see Dc as having real heroes, while marvel have jerks with superpowers who occasionally act heroic  
-God Exists 
-the double standard for men and women is annoying, women can hit men, and speak about "girl power" but if a guy does either of those things it's sexist 
-the death penalty is never acceptable  
- Harry Potter> Lord of the Rings 
Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

@Superevil225: As that may be so, intolerance for other religions- Christianity especially- is just as prevalent with Buddhists as it is with Muslims... and that goes up to (and including) killing. 
Ahaha, I've heard that a lot. The fact of the matter is, somebody isn't a Buddhist if they do that. Buddhism is about accepting others, seeing things from their POV and learning from the world around you. Buddhists are against intolerance. There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Superevil225 said:
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto said:

@Superevil225: As that may be so, intolerance for other religions- Christianity especially- is just as prevalent with Buddhists as it is with Muslims... and that goes up to (and including) killing. 
Ahaha, I've heard that a lot. The fact of the matter is, somebody isn't a Buddhist if they do that. Buddhism is about accepting others, seeing things from their POV and learning from the world around you. Buddhists are against intolerance. There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.
Even so, with council members of some communities involved, it's unfortunately still allowed. And before you you say this is me bashing your religion, this isn't- I'm only stating fact, and I also have a friend who is a Buddhist that's also serving in the US Navy as one of those guys handling sensitive information that could break the nation if improperly handled.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11
atheist people are awesome and at the same time annoying.
anime and comics are full of insane rabid fans.
@SilverGalford: True on both. But don't leave the Agnostics out as well...
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: What is still allowed? Violence in the name of Buddhism? If you read my post before I stated that there hasn't been violence in the name of Buddhism. Furthermore, just because Buddhist people have been intolerant, it doesn't mean that the religion is violent. There is nothing violent about living to find enlightenment. I know you aren't 'bashing' my religion. I'm just trying to get some facts straight. It bothers me when people get their facts mixed up or hear wrong information because it can make a bad reputation for something that shouldn't.
Post by TheRedRose (1,645 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: You're looking at one! :D

just because Buddhist people have been intolerant, it doesn't mean that the religion is violent.

There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.

but many people don't understand
@SilverGalford: Which many people don't understand what? I am definitely agreeing in the fact that there are some Buddhists who are intolerant, and don't understand people's POV and religion, but there has never been violence in the name of Buddhism. Furthermore a religion solely focus on searching for enlightenment through peace and understanding isn't violent in the least.
@Superevil225: Out of curiosity, coming from your experience, how would you describe having Buddhism as a religion? Like what are your rituals, sins, oaths, etc. I've never really gotten into Buddhism before & now I want to hear some. :P Also is there a hell & heaven in Buddhism?
@SilverGalford said:

just because Buddhist people have been intolerant, it doesn't mean that the religion is violent.

There may be bad apples, but even then, there has been no killing in the name of Buddhism. Some may not agree with other religions, but it doesn't mean we're violent about it.

but many people don't understand
And that's all I'm saying- some people just don't get their own religion. I think everybody's got blood on their hands for those involved in the Crusades... but Muslims- they're actually following their religion BY killing troops and each other overseas. If you don't believe me, actually pick up a Qua'ran and read it.
Post by Bellum (127 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@Superevil225 said:
@Bellum said:
  • Islam is a violent religion.
  • And so is Christianity.
  • Also Buddhism.
Sorry, but what proof do you have of the Buddhism point? I'm a Buddhist, we take pride in the fact that no war has been fought in the name of the Buddha, or the Buddhist religion. Plus, killing is strictly against the code of the Buddhist religion, never ever is it okay to kill or hurt somebody.

Mainstream Buddhism is non-violent. Non violence is a core of the Buddhist religion. But it's not true that there has never been violent Buddhist groups (I believe there were particularly violent groups in Japan at one time? Trying to use Buddhism to justify violence is rare but not unheard of. I can't remember the particulars. I'll look them up and post them, if you want). The point is that the religion isn't violent in of itself. Religions primary purpose is to bring people together. Through some accident of evolution, bringing humans together is an act that, as counter-intuitive as it seems, breeds violence. Nationalism is the same problem.

I don't think it'd be too controversial a concept in Buddhism that too much of an attachment to Buddhism be a source of suffering. ;)
@TheRedRose: It's very long to explain. I'll send you a pm. :)
@Superevil225: Thank you :) 

Which many people don't understand what? I am definitely agreeing in the fact that there are some Buddhists who are intolerant, and don't understand people's POV and religion, but there has never been violence in the name of Buddhism. Furthermore a religion solely focus on searching for enlightenment through peace and understanding isn't violent in the least. 

i know what you mean , i have the same problem with my beliefs, people who bash religions and beliefs  use hypocritical religious people as an excuse to criticize so bad other people beliefs and religions , and that's unfair. the funny thing is people who do that are so hypocritical as well mostly.
@SilverGalford said:

Which many people don't understand what? I am definitely agreeing in the fact that there are some Buddhists who are intolerant, and don't understand people's POV and religion, but there has never been violence in the name of Buddhism. Furthermore a religion solely focus on searching for enlightenment through peace and understanding isn't violent in the least. 

i know what you mean , i have the same problem with my beliefs, people who bash religions and beliefs  use hypocritical religious people as an excuse to criticize so bad other people beliefs and religions , and that's unfair. the funny thing is people who do that are so hypocritical as well mostly.
But what about the people who say those things but also acknowledge their own bloody past?

but also acknowledge their own bloody past? 

bloody past? explain yourself
@SilverGalford: The Crusades and the Salem Witch trials amongst various offences done in the name of the Christian God.
@Bellum said:
@Superevil225 said:
@Bellum said:
  • Islam is a violent religion.
  • And so is Christianity.
  • Also Buddhism.
Sorry, but what proof do you have of the Buddhism point? I'm a Buddhist, we take pride in the fact that no war has been fought in the name of the Buddha, or the Buddhist religion. Plus, killing is strictly against the code of the Buddhist religion, never ever is it okay to kill or hurt somebody.

Mainstream Buddhism is non-violent. Non violence is a core of the Buddhist religion. But it's not true that there has never been violent Buddhist groups (I believe there were particularly violent groups in Japan at one time? Trying to use Buddhism to justify violence is rare but not unheard of. I can't remember the particulars. I'll look them up and post them, if you want). The point is that the religion isn't violent in of itself. Religions primary purpose is to bring people together. Through some accident of evolution, bringing humans together is an act that, as counter-intuitive as it seems, breeds violence. Nationalism is the same problem.  I don't think it'd be too controversial a concept in Buddhism that too much of an attachment to Buddhism be a source of suffering. ;)
The whole era in Japan where Buddhist monks did do stuff like that is very difficult to explain, trust me. I've done quite a bit of reasearch into it, and it's very interesting but they weren't exactly using the name of Buddhism.

As for your last point there, right on the spot. In Buddhism we search for 'the middle way', neither extreme, or.... the opposite of extreme. XD During that era in Japan, those monks vastly strayed from the middle way, going against pretty much everything in the Buddhist religion.
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto: Age really doesn't matter, people who are below 21 can be far more mature than people over it. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel