To know me is to know me, I am autistic.

Topic started by EganTheVile1 on April 11, 2012. Last post by Samimista 2 years ago.
Post by EganTheVile1 (1,511 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, explains a lot. Asperger's is a highly functional form of Autism that impairs the part of the brain that recognizes social protocol, basically I am highly evolved intellectually but retarded socially. I think this explains a lot, not a damning form of autism, I am still after all highly intelligent, just unable to recognize when I am pissing someone off or saying something viewed as inappropriate.

To understand me better: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspergers-syndrome/DS00551/METHOD=print&DSECTION=all
Hope the AV community better understands my Transformers OCD and other aspects of who I am now. 
Symptoms were there in hindsight, always knew I was different in some ways. Glad I know how now.
This changes nothing about me, except now I know why some perceive me as rude or abrasive, I honestly mean no hostility to anyone.

Post by takashichea (11,963 posts) See mini bio Level 25

I believe all wiki editors have some form of OCD when they are working on the wiki pages. :)

My oldest brother has autism, a bit severe that he cannot pick up social cues. He gets violent with people he doesn't know and are not of the family when the person interferes with his habits. He's pretty OCD with tidying his toys and video games and a creature of habit. If you messed up his flow like his favorite spot to eat, he gets angry fast. The thing I feared the most for him is when he is alone in public, and some police officers don't know he's autistic become brutal on him. He's a normal looking guy who has the mind of young boy in the body of an adult. You have look at his gestures and his behavior closely to figure he's autistic. I digress a bit.

In the end, I have to take of my oldest brother who cannot support himself and take him into my future family I hope to start.

Edit:

Great blog, Egan!

@takashichea: I have gone off on people for disrupting my daily habits as well, It is tough having what I have, the truly autistic have their routines and are mainly agitated when someone disrupts said routine, I have my routines but desire to alter them to better fit in, I have had social relationships, and romantic ones as well, I gladly alter my routine when such relationships present themselves. But I can never maintain them, I think I am doing everything right but I get angry with the change more then anything and hate the way my routine is altered. My main problem is just being extremely blunt and coming off as cold, in my mind I think someone knows they are taking too much time out of what I feel I should be doing in that moment, in their mind I am being a total prick. Even now I dunno what to do, knowing I am the way I am, should I walk around in a shirt that says "sorry I'm the way I am, I have a form of autism" or just except that people will get pissed off and even start on occasional fight thinking I am just a rude prick.
Hope the answers become clearer as I adjust to the diagnosis.

@EganTheVile1:

You shouldn't worry about how people think about you. People sometimes get the wrong impressions of you the first time they meet you. Once they get to know you or you tell them you got autism, it's all good.

Losing communications can sometimes lead to misunderstandings, arguments, or rarely, fights. It's a big issue for all of us. It's hard being autistic because most people cannot really see how autistic people look at the world. As for the shirt thing, I think it's a bit extreme or mortifying. The people with mild autism might not like it.

I think a blue cross necklace or a wrist (from Autism speaks) would be better.

Post by sickVisionz (4,263 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Were you recently diagnosed? I never would have known. You seem cordial enough on the site, especially compared to what passes as "normal" behavior on internet forums. Anyways, best of luck.

I would never wear an actual hello I am autistic shirt, for starters aspergers is a mild form of autism, 2nd that was a joke I thought was inoffensive, but was not taken as a joke, an issue that is part of what my disorder tends to make me do, no one worry about this, I deal, I learn, as Sick said I always seem cordial on AV, I simply make notes of my negative reactions and try actively not to repeat them
Post by asian_pride (168 posts) See mini bio Level 18

It's good to let people know about your condition, no matter how pointless it might seem to you or them. Especially in the Internet; obviously nobody'll be able to tell if you have Asperger's or not. But anyway, thanks for letting us know. If others don't know about your condition, we'll let them know.

My little brother has autism, so I kind of know what it's like dealing with social life concerning him. Don't worry about it too much.

Post by Guyver (3,406 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I've known you since CV, and I never would of imagined you had that. Still, props for coming forward to tell us this :)

Post by Dream (7,499 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
@EganTheVile1: Guess I'm not the only one with a similar form of autism. Glad to at least know I'm not the only one facing the issue on here.
@asian_pride: Thank you for that, I thought it was important to share considering how active I am in this community
@Guyver: How you been man? If you remember I used to unintentionally piss off people in comic vine all the time, lol, reason I never got into editing Giant Bomb was due to similar problems. Though I think the more level headed and intelligent people like yourself always knew their was no ill intentions to anything I said.
@Dream: Much like no one would have guessed this was an issue with me, I would have never guessed this about you, also nice to know I am not alone here, I always find you to be a great well spoken person, and I know, with people like us we can't always bring that into our day to day lives when interacting with people face to face. It's actually nice that we live in a time where we have the internet, imagine how it must have been when people like us who have this condition had no social outlet or resources specific to our interests, could see going nuts if that were the case.
Post by Dream (7,499 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Online Now
@EganTheVile1: Compared to when I'm online, I often have a more challenging time expressing myself in real life depending on the situation. While I'm more aware of how Asperger's effects me than when I was younger, I still have my awkward social moments because I am unsure how to handle myself in unfamiliar situations and I have difficulty properly conveying what I want to say into words. As you might also notice in my online videos whenever I have narration, my voice tends to be quite monotone and rigid which also comes from the syndrome.
Post by Guyver (3,406 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@EganTheVile1:

I've been doing alright. Thanks for asking. Lol, I remember your Transformers threads and a couple of your RPG threads. I see lol.

@Dream:  Yeah I stopped making youtube videos, some people enjoyed my video blogs, the majority of people insulted me unmercifully for my awkwardness and stumbling on words, I sometimes freeze up even though the thoughts are clearly in my head I just cant get them out of my mouth efficiently all the time. I hate to say it, but the only way I feel comfortable in social situations is when I drink, and I usually drink too much when I try to solve the problem that way which hurts me socially even more. Tough to find a balance, although I have only known about my condition for a short time, so I hope being aware of it will help me deal with people a little better.
Post by taichokage (13,021 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Props to you. I'm not trying to say in any way that you are disadvantaged because of autism, but that I respect you more for speaking about it openly.

I believe we have some new members of Anime Vice who are autistic as well, EgantheVile1. I'll bump this, so you can meet them.

Post by Samimista (178 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@EganTheVile1: I just notice that this is an old thread but, if you ever want someone to talk to I'm here. I'm a high function Aspie myself. I can never stand when someone judges another person because of a disorder or a disability that person may have. Everyone is born with a special gift of raw talent that we all need to figure out how to work and use to make the world a better place.

One of my favorite quotes to live by is; "Never let others opinions drown out your inner voice." - Steve Jobs.

Don't let anyone put you down and never think less of yourself. You are born with a special gift that will take you far in life. Bill Gates has the syndrome and look where he is. On top of the world laughing his way at the bank.

Remember, you can do anything that you set your mind to. Live life the way you want to. As long as you're happy is all that matters. I don't know if you're still an active member as this thread is a few months old but, if you ever want to vent to someone on this or need help, I'm here.

Post by MrDirector786 (4,504 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Interesting. I feel I should mention that I have a very mild form of Asperger's myself. It hasn't really affected my social life that much, and has never really been a problem as mine is very mild, but at the same time I think it may be important for others to know anyway.

Post by Samimista (178 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@MrDirector786: I didn't know you had it either Mr. Director. That's pretty cool.~

Post by Elfenlied1012 (557 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I use to teach people with Aspergers syndrome in high school for three years. Their not bad people at all, the main thing I learned if just be real with them. All of them seem plenty smart you just have to remind them what their saying is a bit rude and not be an asshole about it and generally they are chill. It's going to take some work probably but I doubt you'll be truey hindered by your Aspergers at all EganTheVile1 especially later in life.

Post by autistickitty (6 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@EganTheVile1: After I was diagnosed with high-functioning autism it helped me learn how to deal with my autism and the people around me. Believe me things will get better.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel