The Twilight Phenomenon

Topic started by Knil on Dec. 6, 2008. Last post by Endogene 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Knil (18 posts) See mini bio Level 2
Ever since the movie came out, there seems to have been a surge of devoted vampire fangirls at my school who can't get enough of everything to do with the series. I think I've seen at least a dozen copies of each book in the series being read at some point this week.

I personally have not read the books or watched the movie since it I did not have a girlfriend to drag me there and it is apparently quite gay for a guy to get involved with the series. But just out of curiosity, how widespread is the Twilight fandom in your area?
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I've seen displays at the local comics shop selling a lot of the gear. I've never been a fan of Vampires so I don't have my finger on the pulse, but it seems like a full fledged fad to me.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Ugh. I tried reading the book and I just couldn't. It was like a poorly written fanfiction. The characters are one dimensional/have no personalities... blech.

The fandom is HUGE. I mean HUUUUGE. When you enter my local Borders, the first thing you see in front of you is TWILIGHT crap everywhere. It's annoying as heck.
At school, I constantly see the books in people's hands. I don't see the appeal at all.

x@#* psh.

/mini-rant
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
I refuse to read a book about vampires who can't step out into the light because they'll crap rainbows. Ridiculous. I've heard it referred to as Stephanie Meyer's wet dream, and I agree from what I've heard of the books.
Post by Rain_Man (1,318 posts) See mini bio Level 7
i'm going to watch that movie soon.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
It's not because of the movie, this fad has been growing since the first book was released (which, i may say, was a total piece of shit). I't the new Harry Potter, aimed at 10-20 year old girls.
Post by Pepper (2,496 posts) See mini bio Level 11
movie doesn't touch the book, the books were amazing , quite better than harry potter
Post by brukaoru (16 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I've been told to read Twilight by a friend, and have also heard it's amazing. Now I just want to check it out for the sake of seeing what all the fuss is about.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Knil said:
"Ever since the movie came out, there seems to have been a surge of devoted vampire fangirls at my school who can't get enough of everything to do with the series. I think I've seen at least a dozen copies of each book in the series being read at some point this week.

I personally have not read the books or watched the movie since it I did not have a girlfriend to drag me there and it is apparently quite gay for a guy to get involved with the series. But just out of curiosity, how widespread is the Twilight fandom in your area?"
As long as there have been vampire stories, there have been vampire fangirls (and fanboys). They just needed something to attach themselves to. In the manga world these days it's usually Vampire Knight, which is a super-soap opera-ish shoujo (girls') vampire manga.

That said...I wasn't in my home town (Portland, OR) when Twilight came out, so I didn't hear much about its reception. But a bunch of it was actually filmed in Oregon, so I know there was some local draw.

Actually now that I think of it, I was in the Dallas area when it came out, and we went to see...I think that was when we saw W., we saw a bunch of girls kinda camped out waiting for a showing. And that was actually in a town about ~45 minutes outside of Dallas, too.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
gia said:
"But a bunch of it was actually filmed in Oregon, so I know there was some local draw."
Since it was in Oregon, why aren't there at least 50 "adult items" in the movie?
Post by Hawk (272 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Ok....so read the books. They were ok. I love Vampires and the Victorian style that Anne Rice and others made popular. This new Vampire love stories are a little annoying. The Movie sucked. (no pun intended.) They tried to cram the book into 1 1/2. Didn't work.

Interview with a Vampire.....now that was a good vampire movie....to bad their hasn't been one since. And if you say Blade .....you should be bitten. lol
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Will kill twilight fans.
Post by Rakurai (34 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Endogene said:
"Will kill twilight fans."
lol..please do

but...I am happy that, like Harry Potter (amnother series i didn't really like), it's introducing reading as a "cool thing to do."  That, at least, is a plus in my book. 
Post by Endogene (65 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Did anyone catch the southpark episode on Twilight? It is fantastic. I'll look into embedding it.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel