The Name "Xbox One" is Equally as Clever as it is Dumb

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on May 21, 2013. Last post by sickVisionz 1 year, 2 months ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I posted this on Giant Bomb but I guess I'll post it over here too.

Okay, so the new Xbox is called the "Xbox One" - which is kind of dumb (what console name isn't dumb, though?) but I think part of the reason they called it that is because nobody will call it the "One" (would you?) so people will just call it the "Xbox" ...which is kind of clever. They called it the Xbox without just calling it the Xbox.

...am I putting too much thought into this, or am I onto something?

Obviously the other reason they went with "One" is because they're pushing it as the "all in one" media machine, which every system since the 360 has tried to be, anyway, but hey. Anyone else have any thoughts on the name? Like it? Hate it? Just curious.

Post by Acura_Max (2,323 posts) See mini bio Level 13

It also makes naming the next Xbox easier. Calling it "Xbox One" allows you to name the next console after Xbox Two and people would understand that Xbox 2 was the next console after Xbox One. It looks like Microsoft has learned from Nintendo and its Wii U this generation. Casual gamers were confusing the Wii U as an accessory to the Wii when it was a whole other console. Since Microsoft is pushing for an "all in one" media machine, naming it something like Xbox infinity would be a mistake.

Post by sickVisionz (4,237 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Dumb name. I get it, one console to rule them all. The one and only box you'll ever need, etc. But there is a Xbox. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen tech decrease in number name with an increase in iteration. Console seems cool though. Pausing and multi-tasking is win. Literally everyday there comes a time where I'm playing a ps3 game and feel like, "damn, I wish I could pause this right here and switch immediately to Netflix or Crunchyroll." That is then matched with getting tired of video and being like, "I wish I could just switch immediately back to the game." Support for windows is awesome. I can have a faq or youtube help video open and going at once rather than having to search for my phone or boot up my laptop.
Post by Feral_Nova (1,863 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@Daniel_Newton: IMO it's better than what the rumored name was going to be Xbox 'Durango' lol. I think it's a clever name, the all in 'one' console. Actually I don't care about the name BTH lol It could have been called Xbox Rainbow Bright for all I care lol I'm just interested if it's really going to be able to preform like it did in the reveal upon purchases and I want to know the damn price of the thing!

Post by MarioRedfield (1,728 posts) See mini bio Level 11

I'll just call it Xbox anyway. I call Xbox 360 just Xbox anyway.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,180 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I hope the new Xbox have a Quickening app

@MarioRedfield: same here lol

Post by Sonata (35,218 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I'll just call it the charcoal brick because that's what it looks like.

Post by SamJaz (11,728 posts) See mini bio Level 19

I was told it could play games. At least, I hope it does.

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm not liking it >_> LOL

I feel like they totally missed the gaming aspect of it, I mean, it's suppose to be a gaming console! >_< Wtf are they doing?

and Spielberg directing a Halo TV show? Why not just make the damn movie?! blaaaaaaaaah

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,030 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Still a better name than Xbox 720 lol. But they still could have picked a better name since non-gamers might get confused between the Xbox One and the very first Xbox.

Post by Acura_Max (2,323 posts) See mini bio Level 13

A quick update to the Xbox debacle:

It looks like Microsoft is heading into damage control. Major Nelson, the head of programming on Xbox Live, recently sent out this tweet.

Post by Kobra678 (2,940 posts) See mini bio Level 14

@Acura_Max: I don't really think they are gonna name the next xbox "xbox two" because the whole point of the "one" in the name was to represent an all in one console.

Also, there is rumor going around about a new Nintendo console. It's supposedly called the "Nintendo 65".

Post by sickVisionz (4,237 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Feral_Nova said:

I feel like they totally missed the gaming aspect of it, I mean, it's suppose to be a gaming console! >_< Wtf are they doing?

You seriously think it won't have games? That EA, Ubisoft, Square-Enix, Activision, Take 2, etc have completely abandoned Microsoft and the only games to ever be on the system are the ones at the press conference?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel