The Doctor Who Club

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 17, 2013. Last post by Kuma_From_Argentina 1 month, 3 weeks ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,182 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@katmic said:

Now we know that this episode centers on the time war.

Well the trailers made that part obvious, and I think it's safe to say most of us assumed it would be the time war for a while now. Ever since the John Hurt Doctor was revealed wearing the leather jacket the Ninth Doctor wears, I assumed he was the Time War Doctor, it just made sense.

This was a fantastic surprise, I think it's great that they brought Paul McGann back and finally bridged the gap between the movie and the modern series. The part I'm most surprised by is how McGann still looks the part. He's 54 and the movie was released in 1996! I doubt many actors could pull that off.

Post by Acura_Max (2,323 posts) See mini bio Level 13

There's a petition to get a Paul McGann spin-off series and the petition (at this time) has already reached 12,000 signatures.

Link to the online petition.

@Acura_Max: Wow now it's at 14,000 signatures. That petition will be done in no time.

Love that second clip. Wouldn't be surprised if it was entirely David's idea, haha.

We got Doctor Who posters by Matt Ferguson. If you want to seethe full size images, check out this link.

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Happy Day of the Doctor guys, Sorry I am not on here much. Just got a new gaming handheld and I've been buzzing around on twitter about the missing episodes. Hope we'll get more soon after Marco Polo :D

@Kelleth: Is that the Tenth Doctor's Spin & Fly TARDIS? I've been looking into those recently and I want one, but they're pretty hard to find at a reasonable price now, and the Eleventh Doctor version isn't as good :(

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Daniel_Newton: Ebay, I just kept checking ebay at the lowest price and shipping, and on the auctions section with the first to end setting, You could try the first, 4th or the 7th doctor sets too :)

So, I was wondering. Do i need to watch the second half of season 7 to understand 'Day of the Doctor?"

@Acura_Max: It would clue you in on a few things characters mention like "Trenzalore" but other than that I don't think you'll miss out on much.

Shame on you for not being up to date though!

Post by katmic (307 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Day of the doctor=Awesome

Time of the Doctor

Gallifrey Petition

Attention all Whovians: A fellow fan has created a petition on Change.org to rename a newly-discovered planet after the Doctor’s fictional homeland, Gallifrey. The petition has a little over 80,000 of the 100,000 signatures it needs to go before the International Astronomical Union. Currently named HD 106906 b, the planet is 11 times the size of Jupiter and has the farthest-ever orbit around its host star in the known universe. Unlike other faraway planets like Neptune and Uranus, which are cold, this planet’s surface is even hotter than the Earth’s core. The puzzling, blistering planet shares a lot of similarities to the Time Lord’s home world, and renaming a real-life planet after Gallifrey would be a pretty charming way to honor the optimistic sci-fi show in its 50th year. Check out a short video below and sign the petition here.

Source

Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,641 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Acura_Max said:

There's a petition to get a Paul McGann spin-off series and the petition (at this time) has already reached 12,000 signatures.

Link to the online petition.

YEAAAAH!!!

So apparently the new doctor likes to swear. So much, that the crew had to beg him not to add swear words to his dialogue.

“Does anyone have any idea what actors do for a living?” asks the exasperated thespian Lloyd Woolf, rhetorically. He jokily imagines what the production staff had to go through when they worked with Capaldi onThe Thick of It. “We begged him to stop swearing — begged him — but he just slurred something about an adult audience and carried on…”
As for the Doctor Who team, he reckons that, if they saw what The Guardian had to say, they will be feeling “very relieved that Peter has accepted that he’s on a family show and has agreed to stop adding creative swears to his dialogue”. - Source

Here's a neat little fan video on Peter Capaldi's swearing.

This was found at this year's CES convention. Reportedly, it costs $25,000 dollars to make one of these.

Post by MrASSH0LE (2,321 posts) See mini bio Level 12

1-THE ,SO-CALLED "DARK" DOCTOR

Trust me I love Doctor Who,but isn't a lot of the Doctor moral ambiguity in his acts... seem like it is not at all morally ambiguous?
For example, when Ten saves everyone on the Waters Of Mars and says he is Timelord Victorious,we are suppose to believe he is becoming EVIL when all he really did was pull a Marty McFly and prevent unneeded deaths(like Adelaide who could as he said just inspire her granddaughter alive),the fact that he wants and does wipe out Daleks is portrayed as wrong in Journey's end when he dumps Meta-Crisis on Rose...except for the fact that they are genocidal space Nazis that all without exception want to exterminate innocents.We are meant to see the War Doctor as a monster when he prevented the Time Vortex from being destroyed by killing the Timelords who wanted to commit genocide on a universal scale. 

I have no problem with a hero that isn't a Light Yagami,a Walter Whiter or a Dexter.But the Who writers desperately want to convince that  the Doc is repressing that needs his companions when a lot of his acts just fall  into Designated Evil.

2-Timey-Wimey

Didn't the Time Of The Doctor create a paradox by not having the Doctor die definitively on Trenzalore ? Clara pretty much saves the Doctor because she knows he's going to die because she has been to his grave with him and if he doesn't die she couldn't have been to his grave,a principle already explained in "The Angels in Manhattan",i.e. can't change the past using future information from the current time line.It seems the show plays a very strange game with changing time.One second you can't like when you save Rose's dad,but after in Journey To The Centre Of The Tardis or in the Christmas special from 2012,you can.
What the fuck happened to the Reapers and time collapsing on itself?

@takashichea said:

Since Supernatural didn't air a new episode this week, I was surprised to see a British alien show. I was shocked.

Was it Doctor Who? Please tell me it was Doctor Who!

The teaser for series 8 is out!

Post by taichokage (12,684 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Oh boy.
Post by Katsumi__Shizuka (7 posts) See mini bio Level 5

I still hate the new logo... I'm always skeptical when it comes to a new Doctor. The Eccleston to Tennant transition is by far my favorite regeneration of the new series. I hated Smith in the beginning. I hated his look and his transition... (I cried like a little girl) I even refused to watch the series for the first season he was the Doctor (He looks like Lurch and Herman Munster made a baby)... But the River Song story line sucked me in and eventually Amy and Rory (hated Amy in the beginning too.) BUT! I'm willing to give Capaldi a chance because I loooooved the last special. It excited me... So here's to a new Doctor...^_^

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel