The Doctor Who Club

Topic started by Daniel_Newton on Aug. 17, 2013. Last post by Kuma_From_Argentina 3 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Welcome to The Doctor Who Club!
Here you can chat about the latest and upcoming episodes, discuss the different Doctors and companions, debate over how time travel works, and more!

Featured Video

And it's up! I'm not too sure about the banner, I might change it later. I'll definitely change it when the Doctor regenerates.

I assume I should add you all to the member list? :) Who's (haha) your favourite Doctor and favourite companion? They don't have to be a pair (you could pick the fourth Doctor and Rose Tyler, for example), I'd tell you mine but I think I'll have to think it over first...

Post by Acura_Max (2,338 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Daniel_Newton: Nice Doctor Who pun. You are indeed a fan.

My favorite Doctor is Matt Smith and Amy. They say that the Doctor you see first is the one you will like the most, but I saw Matt Smith last out of all the Doctors in the reboot series. Before getting on the Doctor Who train, I had seen a couple episodes with the other Doctors when it was on TV (The Empty Child, The End of the World, Voyage of the Damned), but season 5's final episodes were the ones that blew me away. I didn't know much about the Doctor Who universe back then, but even I knew that the chips were down in those final episodes. I also liked Season 5 and onward because, the series got a bigger budget so they did not have to do shortcuts such as the body double in the season 2 finale. From what I heard, season five's writers also got a freer hand with the writing. It was rumored that Russell T. Davies, head writer of the first 4 seasons, was a real control freak in the writing room. It's been said that he would go through his writer's work and make extensive edits.

As for Amy, I like how smart she is and she looks really pretty. She also was a change of pace from the usual companion. At the point in the series, the main companions were love interests for the Doctor. After watching four season, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw that Amy was not going to hook up with the Doctor. It felt refreshing.

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Cool banner! yes you can add me xD

My first Doctor was Paul McGann when I got the vhs version of the movie in the late 90's, When the new show started I torrented the old show to watch it fromthe first episode, I must admit thatI liked Tennant as the Doctof but I was so sick of the companions romancing the doctor that I ignored the new show up till Donna showed up again. I have caught up since then though, But I used that time to watch most of what I could of theclassic series. Also last year I started listening to the big finish drama's and it makes sad that McGann didnt get a full series, any way I have enjoyed Matt era, Not withstanding Moffat's attempts at using plot points he aleady used ofcourse. I am looking foward to the 8th anniversary special and the 50th anniversary audio drama which does include the rest of the Doctors :P

Guys, can you do me a favor. I'm thinking of one day doing the Doctor Who wiki, but I don't have any screencaps to use. That's where you guys come in! On a certain website where TV screencaps are made by other people, they are holding a vote on what screencap next. Head to this link and vote up all the seasons of Doctor Who. Also, since you get to have 10 votes, a vote for Homeland Season 1 would also be pretty awesome. Just don't vote up Supernatural. Don't take this the wrong way. I like Supernatural as much as the next guy, but there are numerous sites with Supernatural screencaps, but there are no sites with quality screencaps for Doctor Who seasons 1-5.

Post by katmic (397 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Daniel_Newton: This is what love about doctor who, scenes like that, that are all fairly tame dialogue, yet so awesome. Gandalf...ha

My favorite is David Tenant alongside Rose Tyler. I will admit that while I warmed up to Amy and Rorie, I am still not that big a fan of them as companions. And I am really hoping that Matt Smith departs with Moffatt (or whatever the writer's name is) in toe. The first four seasons under Russell were amazing. Everything that happened after that, during Matt's run has been really messy. The Finale's do not deliver as they used to, and the stand alone episodes are not as amazing as they could be. Tennant had some really amazing episodes during his run, the sort you are not likely to ever forget. I cannot think of one episode during Matt's smith's that is on the same level as let's say the waters of mars, or even blink; really I cannot think of a single episode in these recent seasons that was particularly amazing.

They were all rather average. Though I liked the chrismas special.

@katmic: I hate to point this out, but Moffat wrote a lot of episodes before he took over as head writer, and Blink was one of them.

I've actually been thinking about going back and watching some Tenth Doctor episodes, not sure which ones I'll go for...

Post by taichokage (13,351 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
I don't want to spoil anything but have you guys heard that the 12th Doctor has already been picked?
Post by Supreme Marvel (5,138 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Man, I love Sherlock!

@taichokage: I have and I think it is a really nice change of pace from the usual Doctors that they have been picking lately.

@katmic: Just thought you should know. Moffat wrote Blink.

Post by katmic (397 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Supreme Marvel: Well that is surprising considering how messy the weeping angels episode was in season 6.

@taichokage: I thought we met the new doctor in the season finale of seasosn 7

@katmic said:

@taichokage: I thought we met the new doctor in the season finale of seasosn 7

Firstly, no, that wasn't the next Doctor, that was (presumably) a past incarnation who "broke the promise" that comes with being "The Doctor" which is why he's not considered one of the numbered Doctors but something else instead. Eleventh referred to him as his "dark secret" likely meaning he was part of his past, not his future. Also, did you notice he was wearing the Ninth Doctor's leather jacket? Seems to me he's the regeneration between the Eighth and Ninth Doctors. We obviously won't know all the details until we watch the 50th anniversary special, but that's basically the working theory right now.

Secondly, how you've managed to browse the internet for the past couple of weeks and not find out who the next Doctor is is kind of beyond me. There was a special TV event aired worldwide to reveal the next Doctor, and after he was revealed I'm pretty sure social media went nuts.

@katmic: If you want to know who the next Doctor is, head to this link. Spoilers of course.

@Daniel_Newton: Yeah, I watched it as well. No point in not watching it because I knew loads of people were watching it and would reveal it somewhere on Twitter/Facebook.

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I haven't seen the show in a while but I did like it. I thought Matt Smith worked because of Amy so when I read she was leaving, I pretty much dropped it. I'll check it out again now that a new Dr is coming.

Anyways...

Favorite Dr - David Tennant

Favorite Companion - Amy (Pond?) or the big lady with red hair (I forget her name, but she's loud)

Hottest Companion - Martha Jones

Favorite Baddie - The statues or the Darlicks (sp?). The statues are scary but I like the Darlicks because they're just fricking trash cans and they always seem so damn manic and mad when they talk.

@sickVisionz: Weeping angels and Daleks XD

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel