Thank God for Libraries & Lit Conferences

Topic started by Lan on Feb. 19, 2009. Last post by RedRoses 5 years, 10 months ago.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Currently in my second habitat the university library. I don't know where I'd be without it. Stuck on campus for 7 hours today; usually all 7 would be spent in class, but the 20th century lit conference is going on so two of my classes were cancelled due to the classroom being occupied by conference goers. There's a panel I'm planning on going to tomorrow on graphic novels and somethng with narrative structure I believe, among the graphic novels discussed will be Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  I haven't read Sandman, but I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan. Important thing to note about this panel is that now comic books/graphic novels are being considered somewhat worthy of academic attention; perhaps this could lead the way into academic discussion of manga which technically fall into the category of graphic novel. In case you all haven't noticed, I've kind of made it my side mission to find ways to incorporate studies of anime and manga into academic studies--under the category of "cultural studies" just about anything goes.

Thanks to my 1 o'clock and 4 o'clock classes being cancelled, I now have extra time to write up my response for my 7 o'clock class. Talking about the patriarchy and the need for control in the 19th century and how it's subverted. Stay tuned later for anime: affirming and subverting the patriarchal culture. Oh the joys of being a feminist and literary scholar ;) What do you guys think about incoporating anime and manga into academic studies? Is there really anything there to look at and examine closer? What sort of things would you like to see discussed in relation to anime and manga (ex: affirmation and subversion of patriarchal culture)?
Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
Your university has awesome conferences. We haven't had a good one in about a year, but it did have Jimmy Wales and Al Gore, so I can't complain too much.

But yeah, anime and manga, like all forms of art and entertainment, do merit academic study. It depends on what you want to talk about, but I can see a work being done on your example patriarchal topic.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Wow that's a fantastic sounding panel. Most teachers I've encountered would never talk about graphic novels, comic books, and manga being on par with academics.

I would love to incorporate anime and manga into academic studying. There are classics that just fit the over-analysis of novels and such. One that just pops in my mind fairly quickly is EVA. You can take that series all you want and there can be huge debates about its context and criticisms of the world at large.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel