Star Wars: Episode VII to begin filming in May

Topic started by takashichea on March 18, 2014. Last post by sickVisionz 6 months, 3 weeks ago.
Post by takashichea (13,772 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Disney and Lucasfilm are excited to announce that principal photography on Star Wars: Episode VII, directed by J.J. Abrams, will commence May 2014, and will be based at London's historic Pinewood Studios.
This will be the first Star Wars film to start shooting in the month of May. Lucasfilm has documented the first day of principal photography for every installment of the Star Wars saga:
March 22, 1976 -- The first day of principal photography in Tozeur, Tunisia, for Star Wars. A crew of 130 ventures into the desert in 42 trucks and cars, including eight army trucks full of equipment. The first shot was completed at 9:35 a.m.
March 5, 1979 -- The first day of principal photography in Finse, Norway, for The Empire Strikes Back. The crew endures the subzero temperatures, frostbite, heavy winds, and avalanches to pull off the first shot within 65 minutes of setup.
January 11, 1982 -- The first day of principal photography at EMI Elstree Studios outside of London for Return of the Jedi. Although inside a studio, the set must weather a sandstorm in a scene that would ultimately be cut from the film.
June 26, 1997 -- The first day of principal photography at Leavesden Studios in Hertfordshire, England, for The Phantom Menace. Ending a long absence from the director's chair, George Lucas shoots a sequence in a bluescreen-lined set with actors Ian McDiarmid and Ray Park.
June 26, 2000 -- The first day of principal photography for Attack of the Clones at Fox Studios Australia. In their new home Down Under, the production crew once again photographs actor Ian McDiarmid three years to the day after Episode I started shooting.
June 30, 2003 -- The first day of principal photography for Revenge of the Sith at Fox Studios Australia. The first scenes shot feature Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor as Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, respectively, along with R2-D2.
It has also been confirmed that Star Wars: Episode VII is set about 30 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, and will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces. No further details on casting or plot are available at this time.
-StarWars.Com

According to BBC, it's coming to the UK. There were some auditions for Also, Kvia.com reports that the film is also shooting New Mexico, USA.

Some Cast Info

Adam Driver
Adam Driver

According to the Hollywood reporter, Adam Driver is in final negotiations to play the main villain.

Adam Driver is known for his roles:

2009You Don't Know Jack: The Jack Soo StoryGlen Stetson
2011J. EdgarWalter Lyle
2012GaybyNeil
2012LincolnSamuel Beckwith
2012Frances HaLev Shapiro
2013BluebirdWalter
2013Inside Llewyn DavisAl Cody
2013TracksRick Smolan
2013The F WordAllan
2014Midnight Special

Hollywood Report

According to BBC, there were open auditions for two roles in the new films that were held in the UK and Ireland last November.

Editor's Note:

Because of Screened had shut down on March 14, 2014, I thought I report on news from the film and TV industries for our folks both Screened and Anime Vice. I don't have FinalDasa or Acura Max's charisma or deep inside knowledge about the industries. I'll do my best.

Sources

Oh yeah, I need to post in To Hollywood and Beyond Wikia. Keep the tradition of news reporting. Well, we can't report on everything, but we should report on things we love.

Post by Acura_Max (2,403 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Gasp! No one likes Stars Wars?!

Surprisingly, there's been little word on who's been cast as what other than the returning actors from the original trilogy. I bet it's because J.J. Abrams learned from the huge controversy surrounding Star Trek into Darkness. Back before Star Trek into Darkness was released, a reporter asked Abrams if Benedict Cumberbatch was playing Khan in the movie. And J.J. Abrams said that it was totally Cumberbatch was totally not playing Khan. (Spoilers: He was totally playing Khan.)

According to a press release put out on StarWars.com, the events of Episode 7 are confirmed to take place 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi, and will be filmed primarily at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England. The press release also confirmed that the film will star "will star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces." The "familiar faces" line, of course, all but confirms the presence of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Billy Dee Williams, but the "trio of new young leads" is still up for speculation, with everyone from Lupita Nyong'o to Adam Driver being offered up for the roles.
-Latino Post

Good idea to make the film take place 30 years after the last movie in the original trilogy. It will let them use the old actors and explain why they're older.

@Acura_Max:

Thanks for the update!

Post by taichokage (14,801 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Awesome! I also heard via newspaper that recent Academy Award winning actress Lupita Nyong'o met with J.J. Abrams and is being considered for a role in the movie.

The cast of Star Wars Episode VII has finally been revealed. The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Here’s the statement from StarWars.com:

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.
Director J.J. Abrams says, “We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.”
Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

For more info on these actors, you can read this collider article for a crash course on what they did previously.

And just looking through these actor's profiles, I can see that Abrams spared no expense in finding talent. Star Wars VII is looking good so far.

@Acura_Max:

That's good news especially for the younger actors to work along side with folks they admired in the original film.

Post by taichokage (14,801 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Wow. This is great.

@taichokage: @takashichea: Happy May the 4th, everyone. May the 4th be with you!

(p.s. today is the official Star Wars day.)

@Acura_Max:

Post by sickVisionz (4,309 posts) See mini bio Level 24
I can't wait for this. I hope they up the ante and make these more like the games and shows were there is a lot of saber fighting going on. There should be like a rebirth of the Sith and considering how much infrastructure and personnel were still out there with no leadership anymore. It should be like Kotor 2 where there are multiple factions jockeying for power and the title of Sith Lord. Perhaps rethinking the usefulness of the whole one lord, one apprentice thing and reconsidering the dismantlement if the academy on Korriban.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel