Scuba photos!

Topic started by gia on Feb. 28, 2009. Last post by gia 5 years, 6 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
So one of the things I've been doing in my smidgens of spare time here in Maui is getting scuba certified! I finally got to go out on my first 'real' dive. We were supposed to go to Molokini, which is a C-shaped crater between the southern tip of Maui and the island of Kahoolawe (which is uninhabitable and unvisitable, because it was used for a lot of bomb testing by the US military). I've snorkeled there in the past, and it's a really cool place to do so. Because it's a little crater, it doesn't have a sandy beach or anything-- the coral and fish all live on the crater itself under the water, which means there's a lot to see even at the shallow depths a snorkeler can visit. (I'm the kind of snorkeler who dives down lower a lot.) It also tends to have really great visibility almost regardless water conditions other than sun. So, it's a really cool spot, but hard to get to on one's own, hence the need for a dive or snorkel boat!

Unfortunately, the wind was so freakin' crazy they literally couldn't get our little dive boat IN to the crater area! They tried a couple of times to get the right bearing and couldn't, and then they called out on the radio and discovered there were NO boats out there, so no one else had been able to either. So, no Molokini for us. Sad!

Instead we went to a place called Ben Gun. This cracks me up: Ben Gun is named after a homeless guy who used to be spotted on the shore of the area, where he threw rocks at snorkelers and divers. Yeesh. Anyway, the visibility was so-so...wind doesn't have as big an effect on scuba diving as it does snorkeling. When you snorkel you're at the surface and even little waves off-shore can make it difficult to get around and can get water in your snorkel. When you scuba dive, you're way below the waves, and they don't affect you much.
But! If it's very windy on top it is still moving more toward the bottom, even if it's not necessarily feel-able. So the sand and other murky stuff gets stirred up in the water and makes it hard to see.

But we still saw some cool stuff...an octopus (we couldn't get him to come out and play, though, but octopi are really neat...they can make themselves completely rigid or very nearly liquid), I spotted a zebra eel curled up in a head of coral, but I wasn't able to get good pics of either of those. (Though one of my photos is of a fish hiding in coral...can you spot 'im?) But most of my photos are of fairly common species of fish and the like.

Our second dive was at a place called Coral Gardens, which is less known for fish and more known for the ridiculous amounts of coral, natch. But I DID see a rare fish called a Flying Gurnard, which is a cool lookin' thing-- it has fins that look like wings. He was sitting on the sand, as they usually do, so I swam around him and took a bunch of photos. I got close enough that he opened his wings for me (I presume this is a defensive posture), which made for at least one really cool photo, see left...

I actually saw one of these on my certification dive, too, so I've seen this rare fish twice on this trip. Neither my dad (who dives and snorkels a LOT out here) nor I had ever seen one before. Well, Dad still hasn't because he was too far away for me to get his attention and show him. Which is a shame; he has a much better camera setup and more patient to get awesome photos!

Anyway, here are the rest of the shots. I hope you like them :) And feel free to ask questions about them, if you want!

Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Cool pics gia! One of my brothers recently took a job surveying reefs in Hawaii. He dives all day and gets paid for it, then surfs all night. He says it's the best job ever.
Post by Devilly (5,329 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Cool Gia :) my pics are old i need to scuba again soon >>
Post by Acer (5,676 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Love the pics, ive been snorkeling a few times on holiday but have yet to go scuba diving which is something i would love to do.
Slinger: night-surfing? Ouch! I'm too scared of wipeouts for that kinda thing. I'm not even a huge fan of boogie-boarding.

Acer: Scuba is really great, but it's expensive as all get out...I wouldn't have been able to do it if my dad hadn't offered to pay (mom insists it's only fair, since they paid for my brother to get scuba certified like, ten years ago...she's so cute). There are probably cheaper ways to do it, but I did eLearning for the classroom stuff and went to Maui Dive Shop (awesome instructors) for my certification dives, and it cost about $600...and I didn't even buy any equipment! I probably won't be scuba diving enough for the immediate future to justify purchase of a wet suit or BCD (buoyancy control device) setup. Maybe a wet suit next time I come out, but that's probably it.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Those pictures make me want to play Endless Ocean...
gia said:
"Slinger: night-surfing? Ouch! I'm too scared of wipeouts for that kinda thing. I'm not even a huge fan of boogie-"
Oops, I spend too much time around old people, by night I mean from about four o'clock until dark.
Slinger: Ahh, fair enough. Mum and I went up to Wailuku where the big waves are on Maui and watched the surfers and windsurfers, it's pretty awesome. What island is your brother on?
Post by Sonata (35,386 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Awesome Photos Gia!!XD
Post by Sigue (860 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I'm not jealous at all. Not even a little bit.
gia said:
"Slinger: Ahh, fair enough. Mum and I went up to Wailuku where the big waves are on Maui and watched the surfers and windsurfers, it's pretty awesome. What island is your brother on?"
He's on the big island's south shore mostly, but he gets around a little bit. I haven't talked to him in a while, but last I did he was excited about getting to make a trip to Maui that his employers were paying for, I'm not sure exactly where though.
Ahh...Maui is really the best island for snorkeling and scuba, or so my dad tells me. That's part of why my parents bought here in the first place instead of another island (the other reason being the golf-- mom's a golfer). ^_^
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel