School

Topic started by HarunaL on Jan. 21, 2009. Last post by Calaveras 5 years, 5 months ago.
Post by HarunaL (5 posts) See mini bio Level 1
The 2nd semester of High school just started and I'm already dreading it. I never thought I would say this but I hate my art class. Its so boring and the teacher is totally bogus. She isn't a real artist and I would know. My moms an artist, my brothers an artist and I'm an artist. The 1 class I thought would be a get away from the rest of my classes sucks.

1st Period: Geometry Honors (super hard math 4 a retard like me)

2nd Period: Drawing 1 (art)

3rd Period: English Honors (if I can't pick the book I wanna read then it sucks)

4th Period: I don't even know what its called but its some computer carrier college course class...its just lame and I'm the only freshmen in the class.

But as you can tell I dislike all my classes so far. The teachers are picky and uncool. When I get home I have to start on homework right away or I'm working on it till 12am. Its complete B.S. If I had a choice I would go with home schooling but god knows I'm already fat enough so technically I don't need to sit on my ass anymore then I already do. I just hope my classes get better as it goes on. The boring-er the subjects in art the worse I draw and the worse I draw the more it looks like I'm not an artist.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Geometry honors difficult? Well I guess if you're not the logical type then it makes sense... I thought it was super easy. Some of my non-logical friends never got proofs correctly though so maybe that's why it's difficult.

Sorry that your classes/teacher stinks! You shouldn't be have a large workload as a freshman though yeesh. Your teachers sound harsh. The only time you'll need to do homework/studying a lot more is when you start taking AP classes or something similar.
Well I would get it alot more if my algebra 1 honors teacher could actually teach. he would say things so fast no one would get it. But I've been looking up stuff online and just doing it myself L8ly. I just hope it'll get easier.
My honors algebra 1 teacher in middle school was like that too. Self teaching algebra isn't difficult =) I had to do that too.

Well what's your most difficult part of geometry thus far? I can hopefully offer some sound advice or something.
well...everything
Uhh... ^_^;; any specifics? I can't exactly give any good advice without some sort of backdrop on exactly what you're struggling on.

The only general advice I have is to start reviewing things about algebra 1 and apply your knowledge into shapes and such.
Though I don't know what you are learning in geometry right now. Each teacher has their own ways, textbooks used, and order they teach things. That's why I can't just say "oh learn this thing first before learning another thing that" because I have no idea what you have learned and what you haven't.

Just trying to help to the best I can online but if you prefer a real life tutor, I advise asking your teacher for students who offer tutoring sessions. Some of my friends tutor underclassmen for pay so your school may have one.
well lol. The teach I have now is actually really good so I'm catching up quick but thank you 4 ur concern xD
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
mmm.... interesting
Post by lordhaseo (2,509 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Nerx said:
"mmm.... interesting
"

yep.....
Post by Calaveras (79 posts) See mini bio Level 1
 I miss highschool....>.>
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
I was reading Outliers which talks about what it takes to be a success.  Anyhoo, he has an interesting essay on why Asian's often test higher in math then Westerners.   I know that sounds like a stereotype, but he suggests there is data to back it up.

BUT, apparently one of the things this all comes down too is, a study has shown that testing Japanese against American kids in solving very difficult problems, the Japanese children would spend over double the amount of time on a problem.  And as it turns out spending a ton of time to figure something out -- before it clicks -- is incredibly important. 

So, if you suck at math, like I did.  Maybe you just need to try harder, study longer, come at the problem from another way, etc. etc. etc.  But don't give up.  Eventually it will click.
ethan said:
"I was reading Outliers which talks about what it takes to be a success.  Anyhoo, he has an interesting essay on why Asian's often test higher in math then Westerners.   I know that sounds like a stereotype, but he suggests there is data to back it up.

BUT, apparently one of the things this all comes down too is, a study has shown that testing Japanese against American kids in solving very difficult problems, the Japanese children would spend over double the amount of time on a problem.  And as it turns out spending a ton of time to figure something out -- before it clicks -- is incredibly important. 

So, if you suck at math, like I did.  Maybe you just need to try harder, study longer, come at the problem from another way, etc. etc. etc.  But don't give up.  Eventually it will click.
"
that is common sense lol
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
Calaveras said:
"ethan said:
"I was reading Outliers which talks about what it takes to be a success.  Anyhoo, he has an interesting essay on why Asian's often test higher in math then Westerners.   I know that sounds like a stereotype, but he suggests there is data to back it up.

"
that is common sense lol
"
Yes, but also what the book is also refuting is that there are people who are good at math and people who are not.  Unless you have a learning disability, you can be successful at learning math as long as you put the time in.

Even IF you have learning disability, you can still be good in math by putting you're time into you're work. Learning disability just means you have to work twice as hard. That's all.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel