SAMURAI CHAMPLOO #26 -- Watch & Learn

Topic started by No_name_here on Aug. 27, 2012. Last post by zaldar 1 year, 10 months ago.
Post by No_name_here (854 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff

I was so eager to catch the conclusion of this epic that I decided to break the usual schedule. Look for some surprise review choices, tomorrow.

Anyway, we’ve come to the end of one more long-form series. Before I get to the nitty gritty nitpicks, I’ve got to say that this was one of the most consistently satisfying shows I’ve watched for this column. Aside from some mild confusion about that one non-sequitor episode with the asteroid zombies, there aren’t any large factors which I had to either put up with, get over or otherwise wish an alternative for.

With that in mind, I’ll get a couple light critiques out of the way right now for this finale. First and foremost, it’s a real shame that the crew pushed the deathly suspense button a couple times too many. In order of occurance…

1. It was genuinely shocking when Jin was seemingly axed by the Shogun assassin on the pier.
  2. It was mildly surprising when Jin returned to save Fuu from that assassin.
  3. It was a little eye-roll inducing when Jin survived to his suicide attack to make good on his vow to Mugen.
  4. It was honestly groan-inducing when he returned a third time to live off a happy ending with everybody.

And the same could be said for Mugen’s own series of surprise survivals. Dude walked away from a stabbing, a gunshot and an explosion? That’s pushing it, man. And it’s a shame, because the duels in this were gloriously intense and the emotional moments very pointedly moving. I don’t subscribe to the notion that this would’ve been more meaningful if they’d gone and ahead and offed everybody… but you still can’t have it both ways.

I was gearing up to praise this show for having fearsome and effective villains - - and then we find out that even the Sunflower Samurai’s caretaker survives a close-up stabbing? What works in this episode makes up for what stumbles, certainly, but I almost feel like the hand of some outside interest here, pushing for a happy ending.

Still, a better conclusion than BEBOP’s. Stay tuned for a whole Vice Pit comparing and contrasting the two, soon.

Watch this episode, "Evanescent Encounter, Part 3” below and decide for yourself, then read my comments on the previous episode here.

Tom Pinchuk’s a writer and personality with a large number of comics, videos and features like this to his credit. Visit his website - - tompinchuk.com - - and follow his Twitter: @tompinchuk

Post by Lurkero (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Seems like you feel the same way I do.

I would have been okay with Jin surviving his suicide attack if he hadn't already been defeated at the pier. The writer would have been better off disrupting that fight and making Jin realize he will have to use the suicide attack later.

Also for Mugen I could have done without either the stabbing or the gunshot. That was overdoing it. These characters must have as much blood as the characters from Bleach.

Overall the series is enjoyable for me. It avoids most of the typical anime tropes I dislike even if the "plot" is barely there.

Post by Username_Undefined (89 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The caretaker didn't get stabbed. I'm pretty sure that the shogunate guy just drew is sword partway and slammed the pommel into his gut. Even if it didn't kill the caretaker (which I'd believe was possible considering the skill and age of the two), it would still seriously hurt him.

I enjoyed the series, and I agree that there were too many escapes from death at the end. I did like Mugen meeting the Dead again and the sketch quality that they used for it before he woke up.

Post by jj_jackson (112 posts) See mini bio Level 6

well at least the genuine suspense of you thought they were gonna die held steady until the last couple mins. isnt that the point though? im glad neither died because i want a movie lol even though thats never gonna happen. it was a nice ride though

Post by Om1kron (141 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Username_Undefined said:

The caretaker didn't get stabbed. I'm pretty sure that the shogunate guy just drew is sword partway and slammed the pommel into his gut. Even if it didn't kill the caretaker (which I'd believe was possible considering the skill and age of the two), it would still seriously hurt him.

I enjoyed the series, and I agree that there were too many escapes from death at the end. I did like Mugen meeting the Dead again and the sketch quality that they used for it before he woke up.

He actually did the same thing to Mugen to knock him into the water back when they were at the pier.

Post by zaldar (1,236 posts) See mini bio Level 15

lack of plot really bothered me glad you enjoyed it though. Was unimpressed with who the samuri who smelled like sunflowers was and how nothing really seemed like it was resolved they just all left each other....glad you enjoyed it though.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel