RPGs on Vice

Topic started by Jewel on Dec. 19, 2008. Last post by Sonata 5 years, 10 months ago.
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Hello All,

SO i have been thinking that seeing im kinda the RPG mod... that i should start to encourage people to get some good RPGs going. LIttle sparrow has a great idea for one where we can all join in and its simple and fun. WAL have one going for them.. so everyone is doing their bit who are keen on RPGs, but i have a question for the GBers and newbies..

What is it about RPGs you dont like? Is there anything we can do to help you try them out? 

If your just not keen, of course that is fine but i would love to hear if their are anyone out there who are interested in being involved but perhaps are nervous that they don't know how too. I can tell you if your nervous, ask any of the viners who rpg how bad their first posts in an rpg was and they will all have a story., i believe my first one was one line.. and i was asked to delete it  :-P Amuck and I shared our first fight and we ended up hugging at the end! so we all have a first story we not proud of!

I would love to see people giving it a go and im sure if you ask myself, Sparrow any of the WAL crew we will all be more than happy to support you in giving it a go.. it can be fun and you dont need to be an amazing writer, just have a good imagination and a willingess to learn!

So input from people please... are you keen? not keen?  if not why not! If yes would you like us to set up something where you can be taught how too?

Just interested to know and wanted to offer support to anyone who is keen! ^_^

Peace out

Jewel
Post by Katsumi_Shizuka (364 posts) See mini bio Level 7
You guys know I'm up for an RPG. Just let me know.
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I think that whatever RPGs pop up here will most likely be very forgiving for quite some time. I know that I'm really not looking for any earth shattering posts from anyone until the scene gets much more well established. I also would like to encourage anyone from outside the CV community to feel free to join in. It can be intimidating at first, but honestly, the experience can also be very rewarding as well, and personally, I've seen what a lot of the CVers can do and am excited to see what any of the newcomers can bring to the table!

RPGs can be a great way to stretch your creative wings, and it can be fun to escape into a crazy fantasy world that you have almost total control over every once in a while. I hope that once we really get going here that we'll see a lot of new faces!
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I just have a hard time taking any of it very seriously, after spending about...five minutes on a MUD back in the day, only to be inundated with everyone's novella-long descriptions of their long, flowing hair, rippling muscles, keenly intelligent green/blue/purple/rainbow-colored eyes, etc. ^^;

I did do a Harry Potter RPG on LiveJournal back in the day. (Hazukashii~~~!) But that was more because I had a cool idea (the setup was that all of the students of Hogwarts had been given anonymous livejournals and had to post on them and interact with other-- anonymous --students and faculty freely; it was Dumbledore's way of trying to foster inter-house friendliness). It was more because I thought I had a unique idea than because I was really into RPing. ^_^;;
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Jewel said:
"What is it about RPGs you dont like?"
I think it's stupid
Post by Damnation_Lee (223 posts) See mini bio Level 5
RPG's are fun and personally I agree with Slinger on this one. The only thing is that god moding can easily ruin a good RPG for everyone. So please people don't god mod.
Post by ethan (887 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Staff
I think RPG's are very interesting. True, I don't participate in them, mostly cause my life is waaaay to busy between building/running the site and spending time with my kids.  When Cap Cascader and I designed and built Comicvine.com, we never anticipated that RPG's would even happen on that site.  There was not even a dedicated board for it when we launched.  I thought it showed huge creativity on members part, when you all started to even create new user accounts but name them as if they were teams, and then center RPG's around the teams.  Or just the time that many of you put into your multiple profiles ( your super personas ) was awesome!   We did intend for you to create super personas, that's a huge part of CV and hopefully AV. 

These sites are full of totally different types of users and that's what we want. We have wiki people, forum people, rpg people, etc who use these sites.  And it's really cool to see people crossing over to the different disicplines of the site!

So stop reading this and GO RPG already!
Post by orz (114 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I like to RPG with a controller.
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
gia said:
"I just have a hard time taking any of it very seriously, after spending about...five minutes on a MUD back in the day, only to be inundated with everyone's novella-long descriptions of their long, flowing hair, rippling muscles, keenly intelligent green/blue/purple/rainbow-colored eyes, etc. ^^;

I did do a Harry Potter RPG on LiveJournal back in the day. (Hazukashii~~~!) But that was more because I had a cool idea (the setup was that all of the students of Hogwarts had been given anonymous livejournals and had to post on them and interact with other-- anonymous --students and faculty freely; it was Dumbledore's way of trying to foster inter-house friendliness). It was more because I thought I had a unique idea than because I was really into RPing. ^_^;;"
that sounds freaking awesome!!

ethan said:
"I think RPG's are very interesting. True, I don't participate in them, mostly cause my life is waaaay to busy between building/running the site and spending time with my kids.  When Cap Cascader and I designed and built Comicvine.com, we never anticipated that RPG's would even happen on that site.  There was not even a dedicated board for it when we launched.  I thought it showed huge creativity on members part, when you all started to even create new user accounts but name them as if they were teams, and then center RPG's around the teams.  Or just the time that many of you put into your multiple profiles ( your super personas ) was awesome!   We did intend for you to create super personas, that's a huge part of CV and hopefully AV. 

These sites are full of totally different types of users and that's what we want. We have wiki people, forum people, rpg people, etc who use these sites.  And it's really cool to see people crossing over to the different disicplines of the site!

So stop reading this and GO RPG already!"
this is my point, i think this place would rock if we all crossed over and interacted with each other.. as  Slnger says, we need new blood.. we all been doing it together so we know how each other works.. we want new blood to DESTROYYY

Coughs, i mean play with :-P
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
orz said:
"I like to RPG with a controller."
Quote for truth.

And I have no creative writing blood in me. All my creativity is hands on stuff like sculpting or sewing. I've also tried RPGing before and it didn't appeal to me because it was bloody long. People would write paragraphs to read about physical description before even doing any actions and I was bored.
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
orz said:
"I like to RPG with a controller."
I prefer dice and a pencil, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed creating a character on the CV boards. I really thought it might be a fleeting thing.

You never know, you might actually enjoy writing your own story rather than fiddling with your joystick. XP
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
ethan said:
"I think RPG's are very interesting. True, I don't participate in them, mostly cause my life is waaaay to busy between building/running the site and spending time with my kids. "
Dude, I can't believe you didn't mention spending time with me.  Oh, and your wife too.  Shame on you.
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
GMan said:
"ethan said:
"I think RPG's are very interesting. True, I don't participate in them, mostly cause my life is waaaay to busy between building/running the site and spending time with my kids. "
Dude, I can't believe you didn't mention spending time with me.  Oh, and your wife too.  Shame on you."
I been wondering about your relationship with Ethan... :-P
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
I assume you've seen some of our adventures?
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
oh god ... do i want too? lol
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Yes.
Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
oh yeah i have seen some of those! very funny

but really... ethan needs to stop wearing that outfit.... LOL
Post by GMan (282 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Staff
Weird.  I was just talking about his outfit over at Comic Vine.  Guess his costume is the object of discussion in the wee hours of the night.

Post by Jewel (1,654 posts) See mini bio Level 10
GMan said:
"Weird.  I was just talking about his outfit over at Comic Vine.  Guess his costume is the object of discussion in the wee hours of the night.

"
Or you and i are talking on both sites... :-P

<-------- mistress redhead ROFL
Post by Sonata (35,507 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
RPG"s can be alot of fun, at first I didnt think I would like them, but I gave it try, and I enjoy it!.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel