Rap Makes You Dumber??

Topic started by MrASSH0LE on April 13, 2013. Last post by Blindside 1 year, 6 months ago.
Post by MrASSH0LE (2,330 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I recently stumbled upon this article which tries to make the case that purely instrumental music is correlated with high intelligence and which also says that vocal music (including rap) is correlated with lower intelligence.I though I’d bring up this article because of the recurring stereotype of rap fans not being bright and classical music fans being more intelligent.

I could see two problems from just reading the article.For one the researcher, Satoshi Kanazawa (which by the way can also be credited for attributing objective ugliness to black woman and low IQ to Africans as the cause of their despair),as stated big band music chows a higher correlation to high IQ then classical however ,based on his premise that vocal music is more highly correlated with IQ, it should be the other way around since big band is a more vocal genre then classical is.

Also this study does not use an IQ test, it uses a verbal a intelligence test based on 10 questions.Not only do we not know exactly what the correlation is between the tests.But we also ignore an important fact which is that music training is correlated with an increase in verbal intelligence .Which is important since people which have learned how to play a certain instrument would surely have a certain bias towards more instrumental genres.

What do you guys think of this?

'Black women are less attractive than others': Controversial LSE psychologist sparks backlash with 'scientific' findings http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/evolutionary_psychology_denny.pdf Satoshi Kanazawa - RationalWiki

Post by UltimateHero0406 (5,047 posts) See mini bio Level 16

Doubtful. I have a theory that may have an effect on the sub conscious but I won't get into that now. Later maybe.

Post by parasyteFMA (113 posts) See mini bio Level 10

I listen too Wu-Tang Clan all of the time. I would like to think I think gooder than most doo.

Post by Bigheart711 (4,094 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I don't think so either. I know that most people don't actually take music in general too seriously, but I doubt that it actually makes you dumb. The drugs that they talk about do, though. Don't try any of 'em.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,736 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Classic rap doesn't make people dumber but now a day music does... (jk)

anyways, I don't think music makes you dumber. I have a friend that is a hardcore rap fan and he is in university and was a honor student with A's and above.

tho music making someone smarter is a yes to me.

Post by solesamurai (1,250 posts) See mini bio Level 8

social media in general makes you dumber if you take it as anything else than what it is, which is entertainment. I regularly listen to some of the dirtiest, most unintelligent hip hop out(I'm a chief keef and yg fan) And they haven't hindered my intelligence at all, because at the end of the day it's entertainment.

@DBZ_universe said:

That may actually be true lol!

@UltimateHero0406 said:

@DBZ_universe said:

That may actually be true lol!

LOL!

Post by 5th (1,298 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Music today is just shit, I'm sorry but unfortunately it's the truth. :|

Post by SpeedForceSpider (5,037 posts) See mini bio Level 15
This is just stupid. I sometimes listen to old school rap and g-funk and I probably feel smarter. Today's crap makes me feel nauseous.
Post by Jlynnana (3,293 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I don't think it makes you stupid, but I do believe it may have an effect on the sub-conscious.

Post by Sonata (35,509 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Listening to today's music doesn't make me smarter or dumber. Just have an unfulfilled emptiness inside me.

@SpeedForceSpider said:

This is just stupid. I sometimes listen to old school rap and g-funk and I probably feel smarter. Today's crap makes me feel nauseous.

This! I agree infinite%

Post by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (60 posts) See mini bio Level 10

...No.Rap doesn't make you dumb, anyone who think that is dumb.

At most, I'll say that rap could create a mental desire in some people to conform to what is considered cool. After listening to it for a long time, some people could have a change in attitude or be tempted do things like have meaningless sex or do drugs.

Post by Blindside (1,003 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Wait...you said this guy also claims that black women are less attractive than other women? Well that's all I need to hear from him.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel