Official Comic Books Discussion Thread

Topic started by takashichea on Sept. 26, 2012. Last post by takashichea 1 year, 3 months ago.
Post by takashichea (14,354 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Welcome to the Comic Books Discussion Thread!
Welcome to the Comic Books Discussion Thread!

Hey everyone!

You know Comic Vine and Giant Bomb have their official anime discussion threads. It's time we need to start up a discussion for comic books. Right now, Comic Vine is mobilizing and adding foreign comics. If you know a comic book that Comic Vine doesn't have, go over there and add to their massive wiki collection.

Feel free to talk about any comic books, American or international.

• Favorite comics, characters
  • Currently reading
  • Anything comic book related.

If you're new to comic books, feel free to ask the community how to get started. We got some experts in the community who can find you the right comic book for you!

Words of Advice

• Make sure you don't insert massive spoilers
  • Don't put illegal links to comic book torrent sites or other illegal scanlations site

I hope these discussion threads break down barriers between anime, comic books, video games and anything that we nerds enjoy passionately.

Inspired by Project_Worm, PikaHyper, and FoxxFireArt.

Note: If I missed a similar thread, blame it on the forum search engine.

Post by Guyver (3,424 posts) See mini bio Level 14

I like comics.

Post by Sonata (35,690 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I'm looking forward to the return of the Joker in Batman soon.
Post by DBZ_universe (15,885 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Wally West FTW!

Also awesome topic!

Post by Bigheart711 (4,206 posts) See mini bio Level 21

I got a stack of random comics from the moving away party at my previous college quarter, but so far, I've only read "Masks of Noh Issue 1" out of that stack. It was pretty good.

As of some comic series I like, I seem to be in more of the humor department than the Superhero one. I read a lot of "Emily The Strange" issues as well as the "Calvin and Hobbes" comics. Some other faves are "The Boondocks" and "Non-Sequetir".

One more note: Where should I start in the Deadpool Franchise? I've heard good things about it's humor.

Post by Guyver (3,424 posts) See mini bio Level 14
I haven't been reading the Avengers/X-Men crossover. Is it really as bad as people say?
Post by MrDirector786 (4,510 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I'm a big comic fan as well. As of this moment, I mainly read Justice League, Transformers: More than Meets the Eye, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic Universe. I've thought about reading Archie's Mega Man series as well as the current Batgirl and Birds of Prey series as well.

Post by Lugixx (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3

@Guyver said:

I haven't been reading the Avengers/X-Men crossover. Is it really as bad as people say?

Absolutely not. It makes a decent amount of missteps, particularly in the first half with some leap of logic combined with slow pacing and uncharacteristic actions, but the second half with has been thoroughly enjoyable. People have been comparing it to Civil War, which is just plainly idiotic. All the Cyclops supporters just seem to hate it, because in their eyes it's blasphemy that Cyclops would ever bite off more than he can chew. I haven't been reading the tie-ins however, but taken at face value it's a pretty good event.

Anyway, I've been reading monthly

AvX, Captain Marvel, Dc Universe Presents, Hypernaturals and the entirety of the Valiant relaunch.

Post by ReVamp (18 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@Guyver said:

Its horrendous. I mean, depending on how much you're into comics. I'm sure a casual reader wouldn't mind it, but as an ardent fan... Its flarking horrible.

Thanks everyone for commenting.

Red Hood
Red Hood

I haven't read a comic book yet, but I'm interested in Red Hood.

@MrDirector786:

Which Batgirl comics do you recommend?

Post by MrDirector786 (4,510 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@takashichea: I'm referring to the current New 52 Batgirl. I myself have not yet started reading the series, but I plan on doing so.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,921 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I want my Superman back, not that New 52 impostor! :(

Post by Sonata (35,690 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@ReVamp said:

@Guyver said:

Its horrendous. I mean, depending on how much you're into comics. I'm sure a casual reader wouldn't mind it, but as an ardent fan... Its flarking horrible.

I didnt care much for the story-arc myself dropped it after he first issue.
Post by Acura_Max (2,431 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@takashichea: If you're looking for a great comic book, I suggest Watchmen. It is a classic comic book and a a must read for any comic book fan. The book is unlike any other. Many people hold it up as literature and because of that, the Watchmen universe has not been expanded until this year (it was published in 1986-7). For $12, you can get the whole story on amazon. The book is pretty dense material and is worth reading multiple times. I've read many times and each time, I've picked up things I didn't see during my first reading.

@MrDirector786:

All right, I check out New 52 Bat Girl. Thanks.

@Acura_Max:

I'll try it out once I figure out a good online place to buy Comic Books legally since the only comic store around is Barnes and Noble.

@Sonata:

Glad to see you here!

Post by Lugixx (3 posts) See mini bio Level 3

@ReVamp: What are your main gripes about it? You don't have to write an essay or anything, I would just like to know.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,885 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Garlfield comics are the best!!

Post by Acura_Max (2,431 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@takashichea: This site looks pretty good. Notice the author of that comic book on the link that I sent you.

Post by MarioRedfield (1,921 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Anyone read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? I wanna find it and read it.

@Acura_Max:

Thanks! I didn't know there was a digital comic book site.

I did notice Tom Pinchuk's name for Hybrid Bastards. Is that a real comic book?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel