Obama wins the nobel peace prize?

Topic started by rein on Oct. 9, 2009. Last post by Black_Rose 4 years, 10 months ago.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
what do you think about it? i don't think he's done anything deserving of the award. maybe in the future he could ( i kind of doubt it), what are your opinions on the matter my dear animevicers?
Post by Newdeath (18,555 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Its a little too soon for him to be winning such a prestigious award however in my eyes he did do something that allows me to see him fit with the award. He closed Guantanamo Bay, a prison that was actively violating human rights laws. Though it isn't closed yet it is expected to be closed in due time besides it is impossible to close such a massive prison overnight.
Post by FLCL1 (3,935 posts) See mini bio Level 7

WOW :O i kno hes trying to change the world but its way to soon
Post by DJSNuva1 (3,347 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Whyd he win it?
Post by Sonata (35,313 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now
I heard about this one the radio nice achievement but why did he win it nothing has really been accomplished yet. Did they just pick him because they couldn't find anyone else?
Post by ThePsychoGamer (1,835 posts) See mini bio Level 10
as some one with strong liberal beliefs i gotta say obama has really earned it with the nothing that's been accomplished in his administration, i really wished he was a little more assertive with his policies, like how bush just said screw congress we are doing things my way
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@rein said:
" what do you think about it? i don't think he's done anything deserving of the award. maybe in the future he could ( i kind of doubt it), what are your opinions on the matter my dear animevicers? "
Agreed.  I don't even care about this award.
@ThePsychoGamer said:
" as some one with strong liberal beliefs i gotta say obama has really earned it with the nothing that's been accomplished in his administration, i really wished he was a little more assertive with his policies, like how bush just said screw congress we are doing things my way "
i'm confused, you admit that he's done nothing yet in his administration deserving of the award, yet you support his receiving of it?
@Sonata said:
" I heard about this one the radio nice achievement but why did he win it nothing has really been accomplished yet. Did they just pick him because they couldn't find anyone else? "
yeah, i don't really understand what he has done towards achieving an humanitarian award. most of what his admin has done, (whether it be good or bad)  has been economic in nature.
Post by Dream (7,418 posts) See mini bio Level 20
From what I read in my local newspaper this morning, Obama got the award for the speeches he made calling for peace and cooperation, as well as pledges made during his campaign like combating climate change and reducing nuclear arms. Honestly, I think the Nobel Committee got way too sucked in from Obama's campaign hype and like others, I agree that it's way too early for him to receive this award. He's barely accomplished anything so far in his nearly nine month run as President.
Post by ThePsychoGamer (1,835 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@rein said:
" @ThePsychoGamer said:
" as some one with strong liberal beliefs i gotta say obama has really earned it with the nothing that's been accomplished in his administration, i really wished he was a little more assertive with his policies, like how bush just said screw congress we are doing things my way "
i'm confused, you admit that he's done nothing yet in his administration deserving of the award, yet you support his receiving of it? "
sarcasm.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
@Dream said:

" From what I read in my local newspaper this morning, Obama got the award for the speeches he made calling for peace and cooperation, as well as pledges made during his campaign like combating climate change and reducing nuclear arms. Honestly, I think the Nobel Committee got way too sucked in from Obama's campaign hype and like others, I agree that it's way too early for him to receive this award. He's barely accomplished anything so far in his nearly nine month run as President. "

This is pretty much it.  
It seems another reason was that they wanted to push forward his nuclear agenda as welll
@ThePsychoGamer said:
" @rein said:
" @ThePsychoGamer said:
i'm confused, you admit that he's done nothing yet in his administration deserving of the award, yet you support his receiving of it? "
sarcasm. "
sorry sarcam tends to be hard to read lol
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
I think it's more of a pressure kind of thing. If he has a peace prize then it'd be hypocritical of him to start yet another war.  

I do think it's bullshit though, someone who claims to make peace  should not put 7 military bases in the Colombia-Venezuela border. 
@Black_Rose said:
" I think it's more of a pressure kind of thing. If he has a peace prize then it'd be hypocritical of him to start yet another war.   I do think it's bullshit though, someone who claims to make peace  should not put 7 military bases in the Colombia-Venezuela border.  "
i didin't hear about the bases when was this?
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
@rein said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" I think it's more of a pressure kind of thing. If he has a peace prize then it'd be hypocritical of him to start yet another war.   I do think it's bullshit though, someone who claims to make peace  should not put 7 military bases in the Colombia-Venezuela border.  "
i didin't hear about the bases when was this? "
 http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/08/07-6  

They've actually caused so much tension between the Venezuelan and Colombian goverment that they've broken diplomatic relations and are on the edge of war.  
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel