Movies & TV Club

Topic started by Acura_Max on March 24, 2014. Last post by takashichea 5 days, 23 hours ago.
Post by takashichea (14,306 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Acura_Max:

That reminds me to create the gallery page. Thank goodness, Supernatural is on HULU. Wished Walking Dead was.

Post by ElHa (58 posts) See mini bio Level 9

I wonder if they'll still use classic rock songs in the new Supernatural series? Also will this series work without the chemistry between those brothers?

Also: Supernatural without Castiel? He's the comedic part that keeps me watching ;)

Post by Acura_Max (2,430 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

And so the superhero TV show wars have begun...

Recently, Fox has announced that they are considering a live action X-Men TV. And with this announcement, it appears that network television is shifting its gears from procedural crime shows like Criminal Minds to superheroes. In the last few months, we are seeing more and more marvel and DC properties getting a TV show.

Current and Confirmed Upcoming Series

CWFOXNetflixABC
ArrowGothamDaredevil seriesAgents of SHIELD
The FlashIron Fist and Luke Cage seriesJessica Jones series
Agent Carter series
The Defenders mini-series

And to think that 10 years ago, the only live action superhero movie was Smallville.

Sources:

As if there weren't enough superhero movies made in the last decade ;)

Online Now

@takashichea: @ElHa:

Ever since the casting of Cyborg and Wonder Woman for the new Batman Vs Superman we knew that it was only going to be a matter of time before they announced a Justice League movie. Now, without further ado, finally we have official confirmation on the Justice League movie. And not only that, we are also told that Zack Synder will be directing the movie. Hurray for everyone who liked 300 and Manf of Steel because you are going to see more of that going around.

In addition, Mr. Silverman and Toby Emmerich, president of Warner’s New Line Cinema label has also announced that they are making other DC properties for the big screen:"Shazam," "Metal Man," "100 Bullets," and "Fables."

Time Warner has said that they have no plans for a Wonder Woman solo movie. However, they are "warmed" to the idea.

“That is our hope,” said Sue Kroll, president of worldwide marketing. “With the right script, that could be viable. The world is ready for her.”

Link to Comic Vine thread

Link to Wall Street Journal article

@Acura_Max:

Online Now

@takashichea: So, what do you think of the news?

@Acura_Max:

Ecstatic.

Somehow Batman and Son reminds me of Avatar the last Airbender, animation- and style-wise

The second trailer for Arkham Asylum looks great.

Post by katmic (474 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Really, what we are getting is less man of steel 2 and more Justice League. And i am not sure whether or not i like it. With my limited comic book knowledge i am not that big a fan of the justice league (as opposed to the avengers whom i love). I didn't like superman till i watched Smallville. The Dark knight Trilogy didn't improve my view of batman as the most unrealistic, exaggerated and ineffective hero in history. And wonder woman seems unnecessary, more or less a weaker female superman.

Looking forward to the casual vacancy. I love all things J.K Rowling.

@katmic:

The Nolanverse was pretty successful, and I do enjoy Christian Bale's portrayal of Bruce Wayne. However, I didn't like how he project his voice as Batman. I was always a fan of Kevin Conroy and other voice actors of Batman because I grew up with the animated DC shows during middle school.

Online Now

@katmic: I'm going to have to disagree with you on Wonder Woman. While whether she remains necessary to the plot or not remains to be seen (we have to see the movie first), I would argue that including Wonder Woman is a good thing by itself. If you look an entire list of superhero movies ever made, you will find that the number of good live action movies where the female is the lead character is rather anemic. The closest ones we do to a good female superhero movie are movies like Tank Girl and Supergirl. Both of which are not very good. So, if this movie leads to a good live action Wonder Woman movie, then I can't be too mad at them for including her.

@Acura_Max:

Have Hollywood made a movie about a hero of color? You're my TV and film expert. Without looking up on the web, I can't seem think of anything. Static Shock was a DC animated series that was one of the kind back in those days.

Online Now

@takashichea: If we're talking about live action movies where the colored act is the main character, I can think of a couple where a black person was given the role. I can't say the same about asian people though since I'm drawing a blank when I try to come up with some. Also, as you can guess, most minorities are given supporting cast roles or they are cast as the villains.

And just like the movies with women as leads, they don't score very high on the rottentomatometer.

• Steel - This stars basketball star Shaquille O'Neal.
  • Blade Franchise - Three movies with a black person as the lead. That's quite the accomplishment. It's too bad we don't get to see more of this.
  • Hancock - This one has Will Smith of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fame.
  • Catwoman - I wouldn't see this movie. It's really terrible.
  • Blankman - This one is more of a comedy rather than an action movie. Think Adam West's Batman.
Post by katmic (474 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Acura_Max:I am probably in the minority that enjoyed catwoman, at least when i first watched it so many years ago, same for Hankock. I would say the matter of black or minority fronted movies isn't much of an issue, at least not for me. It isn't something i ever really give much thought to, not so long as i am entertained. I have a friend however who cannot let such matters drop, always the first to engage me on issues such as how Lord of the Rings is actually racist, seeing as it primarily consisted of a white cast.

Personally i don't see the relevance. If someone is telling a story, it is their right to tell it how they want, with whichever characters they wish. if i watch a movie by a Chinese director, am not going to complain that it has to many Chinese characters in it. Same thing with a white Hollywoord director.

Online Now

So, the networks are announcing the shows they are renewing and canceling today. I'll be putting up list of the shows canceled and renewed.

Confirmed Cancel

• Community (NBC)
  • Revolution (NBC)
  • Believe (NBC)
  • Growing Up Fisher (NBC)
  • Almost Human (FOX)
  • Suburgatory (ABC)
  • Super Fun Night (ABC)
  • Raising Hope (FOX)
  • Crisis (NBC)
  • Trophy Wife (ABC)

Confirmed Renew

• Agents of Shield for season 2 (ABC
  • Hannibal for season 3 (NBC)
  • Resurrection for season 2 (ABC)
Post by Bigheart711 (4,204 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@Acura_Max:..And just one season shy of a possible movie too for Community. :( That cancellation list could get longer, however.

Online Now

@Bigheart711: Hopefully Netflix will pick up community and we'll get a movie ala Arrested Development.

That cancellation list could get longer, however.

I was hoping that Almost Human and Suburgatory would get a renew, but it just wasn't in the cards. Otherwise, I'm not too bothered by what has been canceled. I wasn't even aware that Growing Up Fisher was a real TV show.

@Acura_Max:

You told me about Raising Hope back then, I was a bit heartbroken, but the series had done good. I haven't seen the last season yet. Been too busy. I hope the network allows the TV series to conclude. I'm not used to TV shows canceling. For anime, they end up abruptly, but they are able to conclude on their own.

Post by phantomrant (1,495 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Acura_Max said:

Confirmed Renew

• Agents of Shield for season 2 (ABC
  • Hannibal for season 3 (NBC)
  • Resurrection for season 2 (ABC)

Is season 3 actually green-lit? I saw an article maybe a week ago saying that although it was extremely likely season 3 would be produced, there's still some doubt if NBC would renew it.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel