Movies & TV Club

Topic started by Acura_Max on March 24, 2014. Last post by takashichea 2 months, 1 week ago.
Post by Acura_Max (2,326 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Welcome to the Movies & TV!
Here you can chat about anything and everything to do with Movies and TV! This is the main club where you can share your thoughts about movies and TV.

Ongoing Television Series

Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,693 posts) See mini bio Level 13

I was about to drop Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D but then the latest episode came along and kicked a lot of ass

@Kuma_From_Argentina:

I hope you guys like HBO because they just uploaded the first episode of Silicon Valley on youtube for free. Also, if you live outside the United States, you won't be able to watch this.

In the high-tech gold rush of modern Silicon Valley, the people most qualified to succeed are the least capable of handling success. A comedy partially inspired by Mike Judge's own experiences as a Silicon Valley engineer in the late 1980s.
-Plot Summary by IMDB

So, basically, it sounds like the series will be The Social Network: The TV Series.

Post by takashichea (11,673 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Acura_Max:

I have never watched HBO before. I'll give it a try. Been trying to make time to watch Game of Thrones.

Has asked you about Marvel Shields?

@takashichea: I haven't heard a peep from that guy.

Hey, have you check out this page? You're welcome to suggest things.

Post by ElHa (33 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Yeah I've seen it some minutes ago. Is there any "Follow Topic" button? I don't see one.

@ElHa:

Only Comic Vine and Giant Bomb has that feature. You are free to suggest things not just discussions. What do you want to see? You can ask Acura, Daniel Newton, or me. I'm not so well acknowledged in TV and Films, but I'm willing to do projects for fun just to ease the Screened transition. I seen most folks either in Comic Vine or in Giant Bomb due to their interests, and those two communities are larger and active than Anime Vice. I'm making this place more homely for folks who love both anime and TV.

Oh, I forgot to add who comes by from time to time.

@takashichea: @ElHa:

I'm PMing you guys in the hopes that we can keep this club active. And the only way to that is to discuss things in the thread. So, I'll be updating this more often. If you don't want me to bother you with PMs relating to this thread, please send a reply back saying so.

So, without further ado, here's the first update.

Maps to the Stars

Director David Cronenberg is teaming up again with Twilight Robert Pattinson. The two have previously collaborated on the divisive film, Cosmopolis, which was a commentary of capitalism and the modern society. Based on the trailer for this film, it appears that Cronenberg will be commentating on the culture of celebrity, a similar theme which his son, Brandon Cronenberg had explored in his 2012 film Antiviral.

Now, some of you are probably thinking that since Robert Pattinson is in the movie, it is without a doubt bad. And I can understand why people feel this way because Pattinson has been in some really bad movies (ex. Remember Me). However, since Twilight, Robert Pattinson's career in the film industry has been much more interesting now that he has the fame to court better directors with more out of the box ideas.

Plot Summary: The Weiss family is the archetypical Hollywood dynasty: father Sanford is an analyst and coach, who has made a fortune with his self-help manuals; mother Christina mostly looks after the career of their son Benjie, 13, a child star.
One of Sanford’s clients, Havana, is an actress who dreams of shooting a remake of the movie that made her mother, Clarice, a star in the ’60s. Clarice is dead now and visions of her come to haunt Havana at night. Adding to the toxic mix, Benjie has just come off a rehab program he joined when he was 9 and his sister, Agatha, has recently been released from a sanatorium where she was treated for criminal pyromania…
Read more at http://collider.com/maps-to-the-stars-trailer/#yzyCLgpf6IhrV0ZA.99

The Rover

10 years following the collapse of society, a man will go to any lengths to take back the one thing that still matters to him.
Read more at http://collider.com/the-rover-trailer/#hYYLuAwCsujbHxeK.99

Yes. It's another Robert Pattinson film. This time, he's playing a role that does not involve a limo or vampires. I don't know much about the director's previous films, but the trailer says he's a "visionary," which can be taken alot of ways. The trailer looks nice, but I'll need to see more.

Then Green Inferno

Plot Summary: A group of student activists travel from New York City to the Amazon to save a dying tribe. Unfortunately, they crash in the jungle and are taken hostage by the very natives they protected.

Hey! We hadn't had one of these movies since the 1980s, which is probably the point of the movie. I'm guessing director Eli Roth is trying to stir up some hardcore nostalgia by making some pseudo grindhouse films al la Quentin Tarantino. And it looks like he is succeeding because this looks like Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox's long lost brother. He even attempted to try to convince us that this tragedy actually happened at the end of the trailer. That's when you know that your cannibal exploitation movie is authentic.

Gone Girl

GONE GIRL – directed by David Fincher and based upon the global bestseller by Gillian Flynn – unearths the secrets at the heart of a modern marriage. On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck) reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick’s portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?
Read more at http://collider.com/gone-girl-trailer/#MW6Py4SjEf5ygXKt.99

Written by Gillian Flynn, a Entertain Weekly critic turned writer, this novel has been receiving some great acclaim by critics and is getting a movie adaption based on sheer popularity. That's a pretty big deal for a big that is not a series like Harry Potter or the Hunger Games. Flynn has been praised by some famous people such as Stephen King. In the words of US Vice President Joe Biden: "This is a fucking big deal."

The Leftovers

Earlier this evening, HBO released a new teaser trailer for their upcoming drama series, The Leftovers. The story takes place after the Rapture, centering on the people in a small town that didn’t make the cut. Unlike last week’s teaser which was more of an enticing announcement for people who didn’t know anything about the series, this new teaser hints at an interesting mix of reflective mystery and violent intensity.
Read more at http://collider.com/leftovers-teaser-trailer/#UE4k8d0Zstuw4fWr.99

So, basically, the series will be Jericho with a bigger budget and a chance at staying on air. Looking forward to this series.

I think I might try Gone Girl. The trailer has caught my eye.

Post by ElHa (33 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Nothing that really interests me. Green Inferno is way to brutal to me. The Leftovers looks nice, but I don't think it will be a series with substance in it...

@takashichea

I think I might try Gone Girl. The trailer has caught my eye.

So, NBC heard that you like Black Sails! So, they're making their own pirates series.

Synopsis:

It’s 1715 on the Bahamian island of Santa Campana, the first functioning democracy in the Americas, where the diabolical pirate Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard (John Malkovich), reigns over a rogue nation of thieves, outlaws and miscreant sailors. Part shantytown and part marauder’s paradise, this is a place like no other on Earth – and a mounting threat to international commerce.

Teach/Blackbeard has set his sights on the world’s first longitude chronometer, a device that will change society, sea-trade and global business. In a massive attack on an English vessel, Blackbeard attempts to steal the device; however, Tom Lowe, an English spy working undercover as the ship’s surgeon, destroys the chronometer before it can fall into his hands. Taken as prisoner to Santa Campana Island, Lowe must find a way to reassemble the precious device, all while trying to unfold Blackbeard’s plan… a plan that includes a threat to the English throne even worse than pirates.

From the award-winning creator of “Luther,” Neil Cross, and award-winning executive producers Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald (“Gladiator,” “Men in Black”) comes an extraordinary action adventure with an unexpected moral center where one can’t be sure whether the pirates or the British crown are the villains. One-hour drama.

Read more at http://collider.com/crossbones-trailer/#yjJGtBysopPryGQ8.99

So, a famous captain is looking for something that will bring a new age piracy. However, some jerk stops him from reaching his goal by destroying the map/compass. Now the captain must bring said jerk onto his ship because that jerk memorized the directions on how to get to the captain's goal. Well, if NBC wanted to replicate Black Sails, it seems like they have done just that.

@Acura_Max:

Interesting, Ryan Reynolds is playing the father. I'm still not used to his serious roles since I'm familiar with him Waiting and Van Wilder college movies.

Post by katmic (332 posts) See mini bio Level 10

What do you guys think of footage based movies, told through the view of a handheld camera? Because i am sick to death of them. Minus a few rare movies (chronicle-or so i hear, i haven't yet watched it- and clover field), it feels so lazy.

@katmic: While there are a significant amount of bad found footage films, I think the genre has quite a bit potential. When done right, it can really sell immersion and suck you right into the movie by putting you in the action. The Blair Witch Project and Cannibal Holocaust are good examples of this. Back when these movies were released, the films were so raw and immerse that people thought they were real. Cannibal Holocaust, in particular, was so convincing that the director was charged for murder and he had to prove that he didn't straight up murder people.

That said, I can see why you would not like them. The genre does seem gimmicky and often looks cheaply made since it is often filmed using the shakey camera technique and the hand held camera.

Post by Dream (7,409 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Only things I really watch on TV outside of anime are either the news or professional wrestling. Could care less to watch much else otherwise when I can buy or rent it via physical media.

Post by sickVisionz (4,254 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Anyone seen The Returned? It's on Netflix. Really good.

@Dream: @sickVisionz: Welcome to the club guys!

Anyone seen The Returned? It's on Netflix. Really good.

I have and I do agree that it is good. I'm really looking forward to the second season.

Post by sickVisionz (4,254 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Acura_Max: I loved how it always felt creepy but it's not really all that creepy of a show and most of the drama isn't like standard ghost stuff but is about relationships.

I'm also always upset that whether it's UK or France, it seems like 15 year olds can totally go to a bar and get served beer meanwhile in America you have to be 21. You can be drafted, given military grade weapons, and ultimately sent to your death all before the gov thinks you're responsible enough to enjoy a glass of wine.

Anyways, Netflix has a ton of great content. It's likely content you've never heard of before but a lot of it great and I find their suggestions to be pretty spot on. Anything they think I'll give a 4 or 5 to is something I end up loving. They also put up a ton of gangster movies, which is my favorite type of film. America kinda abandoned the genre (although Netflix recently added Donnie Brasco back to the line up and everyone should watch the movie) but Asia (specifically Korea) seems to have completely fallen in love with it and is constantly cranking out tales of corrupt cops, crime bosses, and hit men. I think I've seen close to all of them that they think I'll like.

I got some exciting news for Supernatural fans! Next week, Sam and Dean will meet the main characters of the possible Supernatural spin-off: "Supernatural: Bloodlines." And if enough people watch it, the spin-off will be official. And considering that Supernatural brings in the most ratings in the CW line up, this feat probably won't be that difficult.

Supernatural takes a detour to Chicago next week to meet the cast of its possible new spinoff, Supernatural: Bloodlines. Sam and Dean head to the Windy City to investigate a case and discover that parts of Chicago are being run by monster families, a la the Corleones. In fact, Dean calls out the parallel in the teaser for the episode. As he puts it, "What is this? Godfather with fangs?" He's an eloquent one.
The episode serves as a backdoor pilot for the potential spinoff. We'll meet several characters who would be the focus of the series, as the Winchesters try to show Ennis Roth (Lucien Laviscount) the dangers of being a hunter - but, like Sam and Dean, he's stubborn. Check out the photo gallery below to see a peek of the danger ahead. -IGN

And we also got pictures. wooo!~

The Casual Vacancy

Wow. J.K. Rowling is busy these days. Not only she is making a Harry Potter spin-off, but she's also teaming up with HBO and BBC to make a adaptation of "The Casual Vacancy (one of her more recent books). I like HBO and I like BBC. So, I can't wait to see how it will turn out.

Production had already been announced by the BBC, with plans to air on BBC One. The HBO agreement means it will air in the U.S. as well. Rowling herself will executive produce through her production company Bronte Film and Television, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Sarah Phelps (EastEnders) will adapt the book into a miniseries, and Jonny Campbell (Alien Autopsy) will direct. Production is set to begin this summer in England.
The Casual Vacancy revolves around a seemingly idyllic town with factionalized tensions boiling just under the surface. It was released in 2012 and has sold six million copies worldwide. -IGN

Jurassic World

The people behind Jurassic World just released some new photos of the new movie. I hope this turns out well too. Jurassic Park was my childhood.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel