Mini Top Hats For Show

Topic started by Lan on Aug. 7, 2009. Last post by Baku_Sensei 5 years, 4 months ago.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13

My first hat. I haven't decided how I'm going to place the cards yet.
My first hat. I haven't decided how I'm going to place the cards yet.
The crafting goddess has shined her glory down upon me. I have successfully created two mini gothic lolita top hats. One is a replica of the hat worn by Mio Akiyama in K-ON and is the final element in completing my costume. The other is just one that I made inspired by one I saw at OhayoCon at the Gothic Lolita Tea Party. They're a little rough looking, but I think overall they're not bad for a beginner. I spent
It's kind of wrinkly, and I need to find a way to hide the cardboard side. Not bad though.
It's kind of wrinkly, and I need to find a way to hide the cardboard side. Not bad though.
forever trying to find a good, simple tutorial. I found a great tutorial on youtube using a lampshade. I remembered a girl at Ohayocon telling me her dad made her a hat out of a paper coffee cup. Suddenly the method clicked in my head. For one hat I used a 12 oz coffee cup and the other I used a smaller, plastic cup I had. I used cardboard as the base and the top cover for both. For the green hat, the top and base are covered with felt. I found out that while the felt I had worked well for covering flat surfaces, it didn't fit too well when I tried to adhere it to the cup. So I used scrap fabric to wrap around the cup. I didn't measure exactly, so I kind of have an extra crooked flap on one side, but you can't really tell from a distance. Plus, it lays pretty flat, blending in. I burned almost all my fingers with the hot glue gun, and made a nightmare of my living room (it's clean now), but it was worth it. I'm really proud of my hats. I figure with practice, I'll get better. I also bought a mini top hat for teddy bears at Michael's, but have yet to decorate it. Now I just gotta figure out how I'm going to attach the hat to my head. I think I'm going to get metal hair clips and hot glue them underneath.

My Mio Hat. Looks a little bit more polished than the first hat.
My Mio Hat. Looks a little bit more polished than the first hat.
  I spent $11 for my first Lolita hat; not bad for a really nice hat with lots of trim. However, I see less than stellar hats being sold for more on ebay.  Lolita hats do not cost that much to make. You just need cardboard which you can get for free just about anywhere. Buy a grab bag of ribbon at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or any crafting store or even Wal-Mart; it's like maybe $5 for a bag filled with tons of different colored and textured ribbons. Buy leftover fabric or those small bundles of fabric folded like squares--I know these were like $3 a bundle which is more than enough fabric for one hat. Buy a hot glue gun for $2.99, glue sticks for $2.99, and
The least of the mess.
The least of the mess.
you're set to go.
My disaster zone living room.
My disaster zone living room.

You could also try painting your hat instead of covering it with fabric. Acrylic paint is cheap and decent brushes are not that expensive. All you got to do is go home, invest some time, be patient (which I'm not very good at), and you'll have an awesome Lolita hat.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Well... at least you cleaned up some...
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel