Major earthquake registering 8.9 hits Japan followed by tsunami

Topic started by PenguinDust on March 11, 2011. Last post by jewl122 3 years, 5 months ago.
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
An 8.9 earthquake hit Northeast Japan Friday at 1446 local time (546 GMT) triggering a 32 foot (10 meter) tidal wave that struck the coastline.  At least 32 people were killed in the quake and ensuing tsunami with that number expected to rise significantly.  The Japanese cabinet has met to discuss how to deal with possible nuclear power plant issues and to shut down oil refineries to prevent the spread of fire and any further damage to the environment.  It's reported that about 4.4 million homes are without power.  All public transportation in and out of the area and surrounding communities has been suspended.  The epicenter of the earthquake was off shore from Sendai which is about 180 miles (300 km) northeast of Tokyo.  According to the US Geological Survey, it originated 8.8 miles beneath the surface.  NHK television has broadcast areas of Tokyo's suburbs billowing smoke from damage.   This may be the largest earthquake recorded to have ever hit Japan and is the 7th largest in the world since accurate records have been kept. 

I believe all our hearts and well wishes will be with the people of Japan this weekend and those nations affected by the tsunamis in the Pacific region. 
Post by lagoonboy2 (48 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Whoa! When I first heard this, I automatically thought about the people who are suffering from lost of properties, homes, and loved ones who died in the earthquake. Though, as a religious man, I do take this as both a Biblical consequence and a natural calamity. We just have to pray for them.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
This is horrifying, My thoughts go out ti everyone affected, For anyone who'd like to help the victims, check here:  http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000002222&Offset=0&ReturnTo=Archive
Post by Mortein (1,558 posts) See mini bio Level 9
 I think that, we as an anime community, are kind of obligated to donate something
Post by Bigheart711 (3,822 posts) See mini bio Level 21
My thoughts and condolences go out to them as well. :(
Post by SSJjanemba (2,176 posts) See mini bio Level 11

i hope they get past this
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
My condolences to Japan I hope this will past by soon.

Its still hectic on Japanese tv they are now showing the fires.
Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
This is insane. I really hope everyone gets the help they need.
Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,746 posts) See mini bio Level 20
God bless and help them
Post by Sonata (35,342 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Horrifying stuff my thoughts are with them.
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@Sonata said:
"Horrifying stuff my thoughts are with them. "

This. I kept myself updated all morning, some of the pictures and videos, makes me shudder. Twenty-three foot wall of water, thats crazy.
Post by Make_Me_Mad (29 posts) See mini bio Level 6
This is terrible, godawful news.  The idea that people are trying to suggest that they somehow deserved this, or that it's karma, divine, or any other thing like that is disgusting in every way and they should be ashamed of themselves.
Post by metalsnakezero (670 posts) See mini bio Level 16
I hope most people in Japan will be OK once thing settle down. Good thing help is coming.
Post by SilverGalford (2,951 posts) See mini bio Level 11
geez a tsunami is coming to peru and  i live near the sea, why peru man?? why do i have to pay for what these japanese dudes suffered?
anyway , i hope this doesn't get too worse.

anyways
 My condolences to Japan and all the victims.
Post by AgentJ (1,545 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Watched the wave as it came inland on CNN. Horrifying. I'm so thankful that all of my friends in Japan and the families of my friends here are all okay. 
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
My prayers are with the people of Japan that are suffering from this terrible disaster. This is one of the worst disasters in modern history and it may have a major effect on the anime/manga industry depending on the scale of this tragic course of events.
Post by Addfwyn (408 posts) See mini bio Level 16
For those who don't know, I live in Japan.  While I am obviously okay because I am posting here, the level of damage across the country is stunning.  I live in Tokyo, which was not heavily damaged compared to the area around Sendai, but the time the earthquake hit was the ten scariest minutes of my life, easily.  The shaking seemed enough that I was worried I'd never make it out, and even though no real damage hit Tokyo, it was frightening, and enough to damage any glass or breakable objects in our houses.  Trains and communications were down across the country leaving people stranded at workplaces and offices, and there was no way for anyone to get a hold of loved ones without cell phones.  Thankfully, twitter and facebook were uninterrupted.    

This is a disaster, of course, but at the same time, I am glad it was Japan.  Japan is the most prepared country in the world for these kinds of earthquakes, and while we talk about a death count in the hundreds, if it hit a different country we could be talking hundreds of thousands.  Japan's strict building regulations, earthquake codes, and earthquake failsafes have saved thousands if not millions of lives, and that is something to be thankful for.

Anyone offering prayers, if you are worried for us and want to do something to help, please donate money to the relief effort.  Pray if you want to after then, but prayer won't help us, hardwork will.   The sentiment is appreciated, but we need more than that right now.   We don't 'just need prayer', we need people willing to help, we need money, and we need hard workers.  I understand people mean 'we wish you the best' when they say that, but wishes won't help clean rubble.  

Sorry, my english isn't quite up to par anymore.  
Post by Obsidian609 (260 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I pray nothing else worse will happen to Japan.
Post by psicomaniatica (30 posts) See mini bio Level 19
@Addfwyn said:
 This is a disaster, of course, but at the same time, I am glad it was Japan.  Japan is the most prepared country in the world for these kinds of earthquakes, and while we talk about a death count in the hundreds, if it hit a different country we could be talking hundreds of thousands.  Japan's strict building regulations, earthquake codes, and earthquake failsafes have saved thousands if not millions of lives, and that is something to be thankful for. 
Thank god you are ok and hope all your family and friends are fine too, every time I see the news feel very sad for those who die and still missing, and as you say about Japan's being prepare, I feel a bit relieve since no thousands of  lives were taken in that moment.   

I'm not in Japan but one day I wish to go, and as an anime fan I'm grateful to them, and if I cant go to help them my only way is to donate, so please feeling sad or just praying is not enough to help, so if anyone can donate anything even 1 dollar, will be enough to help.  

by the way I got news that Oda Eiichiro & Tite Kubo are safe.... (my fave mangaka and seiyuu are fine too which makes me happy)
Post by jewl122 (326 posts) See mini bio Level 12

This was awful. I've always had a love for that country...... 
I really hope they past this. This is actually bad America too, since a few tsunami's hit the west coasts and i heard Jersey's got a flood also.... 

I just hope that they'll overcome. It's sad. THEY CANT DRINK WATER OR EAT. I saw the pictures and my heart melted..... 
Damn, first Haiti THEN JAPAN. 

And this makes me sad, because some of my fav singers are from Japan, and I HOPE THAT EVERYONE is alive..devestaing. 

And that also means no anime.  

Dear God, please show Mercy, let your Angels protect the innocent people especially the children. 

GOD BLESS JAPAN!!!!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel