Lucasfilm declares all Star Wars games/Comics/Novel non-canon?

Topic started by Akira_Toriyama_is_GodofWeights on April 30, 2014. Last post by CerusSerenade 4 months, 1 week ago.
Post by Akira_Toriyama_is_GodofWeights (64 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Mod can move this thread to more relevant thread/section, but this New Bit of Info would be helpful in Battles Section for members who make Vs. matches with characters from Star Wars.

All Star Wars games, comics, novels and other expanded media have been designated non-canon by Lucasfilm.

In a newly published statement on the matter, Lucasfilm makes it unequivocal that there are only seven products in the Star Wars universe that should be considered canon; the six films, along with The Clone Wars TV show.

it means that the dozens of Star Wars games and their stories are not considered integral to the overall plot. Games such as BioWare's seminal Knights of the Old Republic, along with LucasArts' own The Force Unleashed, are categorically disconnected to the films.

While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the expanded universe consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon

"This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align."

More info at the Link : http://www.computerandvideogames.com/460842/lucasfilm-declares-all-star-wars-games-non-canon/

This basically makes starkiller stuff non canon.

Post by SMXLR8 (7,363 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Online Now

@Akira_Toriyama_is_GodofWeights: No one makes vs matches with star wars characters here , try comicvine

can you move this?

Post by taichokage (14,132 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Well that makes sense. The canon were the original movie scripts no? Everything else came after and most of it was not by George Lucas. Still this is not anime themed. Only anime/manga based threads belong in the general discussion forum.
Post by SMXLR8 (7,363 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Online Now

@taichokage: it would belong in the Video game Club thread

Post by Akira_Toriyama_is_GodofWeights (64 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@taichokage:

yeah.

even the novels are now non canon.

I think Most of the powerful beings of star wars were part of novel.

Post by takashichea (13,099 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@SMXLR8 said:

@taichokage: it would belong in the Video game Club thread

Yeah, that's what I got from reading the OP.

@Akira_Toriyama_is_GodofWeights:

The title you put down doesn't match with what your OP said.

Unfortunately, I have to lock it since all video game related materials including news and trailers goes into the Video Game Club.

The exception would be if you're doing a personal blog on video game experiences with folks or a review on a particular video game. It must be more than one paragraph of text.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

This isn't even about video games and you guys are telling him to put it in the video game thread. Why was this thread locked? It was off-topic and he put it in the Off-topic forum. What rule did he violate to get his thread locked? He mentioned a game, but he's also talking about the comics, cartoons, and novels. It's not a games specific thread.

Anyways, I took the announcement as basically anything that takes place after episode 6 is no longer canon but that everything in the future would be. Basically flipping the reset switch that had to be flipped in order to make whatever happens in the new films official cannon.

Post by takashichea (13,099 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

@sickVisionz:

The user @Akira_Toriyama_is_GodofWeights: originally posted in the Battle Forum for some odd reason. I moved it to the Off-Topic section. After looking at the article he linked and the stuff he took, it was pretty confusing given what the title had said.

Daniel, Acura, and I lock any game announcement thread, any minor news to promote the Video Game Club. I had locked all old game threads back in the fall.

Edit:

No rules were violated. Just a misunderstanding here.

Post by Bruce246 (62 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Yeah I'm pretty piss off about that.

Post by GrayWolf2 (343 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Gotta admit, this is a little funny.

Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,803 posts) See mini bio Level 13

They killed the Expanded Universe....they killed 30 years of comics, novels and games

I feel a disturbance in the Fandom, as if millions of nerds cried in agony and then kept insulting George Lucas as they always did

Post by Dream (7,890 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Yeah, this pretty much heavily nerfs the Star Wars universe if you follow what is considered the main canon.

And we have had some instances of Star Wars EU characters involved in matches and enough debates about the legitimacy of feats from source material not involving the films and Clone Wars. Guess this is gonna kill any likelihood of pairing Star Wars characters with decently powerful anime/ manga characters.

@Kuma_From_Argentina: @Dream:

You guys say this as if they've hoped in a time machine and erased the EU from ever existing. You can still buy, read, and play all of those games. It's not like they've vanished from the face of the Earth. You could still use them for Battle threads. One fake, made up universe is just as valid as the next fake, made up universe.

Post by Kuma_From_Argentina (6,803 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@sickVisionz: I dont care much about, but is fun to blame George Lucas for it XD.

Still it pains me for all the writers that basically got their work "removed" from the franchise. As a writer I emphatize with their plight.

Post by Dream (7,890 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sickVisionz: The Star Wars EU would now be considered a separate continuity from the movies and Clone Wars. In the case of Battle threads, you couldn't say that the movie and EU versions of the characters are the same now, hence where the main continuity gets a major nerf.

It's no different from certain titles in popular anime franchises being considered non-canon to a main continuity due to having differing continuities like the FMA animes, the many Tenchi spin-offs or even the various Gundam titles.

@Dream: Wouldn't simply putting "EU" by the character name fix all issues? It's not like there's no possible way to work around this.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,391 posts) See mini bio Level 15

The future material better be good...

@KingOfAsh: I think at the least, I think they will be entertaining for more than the last 20 minutes which is far more than I can say for last 3 movies. JJ Abrahms films are usually that. Plus, he's working with Lawrence Kasdan who wrote or co-wrote Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Post by SycoMantis91 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I stopped caring what LucasFilm said about 10 years ago (when I was old enough to recognize the assatry), the only way I could care less is if George Lucas were to sell the company and all its IPs to someone else. Oh wait he did? Then who cares? Things like Darth Plagueis and Knights of the Old Republic are why I went from being a moderate fan to absolutely loving the Star Wars franchise. They're as Star Wars as the movies, and moreso in some cases, and not only would i not care to begin with about this, but the man who CREATED THE FRANCHISE IN WHICH ALL OF THESE ARE CENTERED didn't even make the decision

Post by CerusSerenade (2,677 posts) See mini bio Level 10

The Expanded Universe WAS canon under George Lucas until completely different owners bought it. I feel as if we should separate Star Wars into two different variations now. George Lucas and Disney. Declaring Expanded Universe non-canon just isn't correct.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel