Lobsters are Immortal

Topic started by rein on Jan. 29, 2010. Last post by John_Martone 4 years, 5 months ago.
Post by rein (5,465 posts) See mini bio Level 15
I know this has nothing to do with anime, but i learned this today in Science and it is pure awesome. 
Did you Know that A lobster can live forever? The only thing that time does to a lobster is make it stronger, Bigger, And more sexually Desireable towards the other sex.  Meaning that if we kept A lobster for the next 1000 Years, it would probably Be able to eat your dog and weigh over 600 pounds.
Anyway think about that The next time your eating one.

Post by Kurohige (3,679 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Wow wow weewa thats awesome I really did not know that thanks Rein!
Post by JJOR64 (2,074 posts) See mini bio Level 16
That's awesome.  Then are can have Billy Irwin the Lobster Hunter.   :P
Post by Son_of_Manus (525 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Wow that is fo' real?
@Son_of_Manus said:

" Wow that is fo' real? "

yeah it's because of a chemical called Telomerase It stops the degradation Of the Body's cells. They have an infinite amount of it. Sadly we don't.
@rein said:
" @Son_of_Manus said:

yeah it's because of a chemical called Telomerase It stops the degradation Of the Body's cells. They have an infinite amount of it. Sadly we don't. "
*injects lobster blood into arm*
@Son_of_Manus said:
That's what i was thinking lol.
Post by OmegaMekix (3,847 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@rein said:
" @Son_of_Manus said:

yeah it's because of a chemical called Telomerase It stops the degradation Of the Body's cells. They have an infinite amount of it. Sadly we don't. "
Telomerase, you mean those segments of DNA that don't get cut off after DNA replication. Research is being preformed on telomerase, that's what stem-cell research is about, the only humans with it are embryos. It is said that it hold vast potential. Besides, I doubt a lobster can truly live forever otherwise we probably would have discovered a 500-pound one by now, the only biotic thing truly capable of living forever are viruses.   
@OmegaMekix said:
It's "possible" for Lobsters to live forever. Just not likely. Most lobsters die of natural causes. (eaten, disease etc) And as they grow older and larger it is Harder for them to find enough food to survive. however under optimal conditions, away from predators and disease, with A sufficient supply of food, A lobster could Live forever.
Post by OmegaMekix (3,847 posts) See mini bio Level 16
@rein: With the ability to retain telomerases the idea of immortality may not be far-fetched. But I'm just saying lobster may not live forever, even under perfect conditions, but may just live a very, very, very long time.
Post by Nerx (13,843 posts) See mini bio Level 12
super duper coolio , they have longevity
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Son_of_Manus said:
" @rein said:
" @Son_of_Manus said:

*injects lobster blood into arm* "
Hey, can I bum some Lobster blood? 

@rein: Wow, what a great factoid for the day
@John_Martone: Bubbles Rwahhrae bubble *translate from lobster hybrid "God kill me"*
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Ah but biological immortality is an interesting concept. Another animal with a quite unique work around on aging is Turritopsis nutricula. A species of jellyfish that after reaching sexual maturity can revert back to the polyp form (kind of like an adult turning back into a child) should the need arise, theoretically allowing it to live forever. However being as small as it is, it's likely to become fishfood instead.

Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
This is absolutely fascinating; I had no idea.
Post by Hellos (2,482 posts) See mini bio Level 11

Interesting concept, I think I wouldn't mind living another 100 years. 

Lobsters = highlander 

@Son_of_Manus said:
" @John_Martone: Bubbles Rwahhrae bubble *translate from lobster hybrid "God kill me"* "
Bwahahaha. Oh wait... what have we done...

I'd feel bad for you becoming some sort of unholy lobster-man, but I'm so happy I missed that bullet. But hey, you'll live sorta forever, right?
@John_Martone said:
" @Son_of_Manus said:
" @John_Martone: Bubbles Rwahhrae bubble *translate from lobster hybrid "God kill me"* "
Bwahahaha. Oh wait... what have we done...  I'd feel bad for you becoming some sort of unholy lobster-man, but I'm so happy I missed that bullet. But hey, you'll live sorta forever, right? "
I will devote my life now to being a super hero.............................. wit what can lobsters actually do?
@Son_of_Manus said:
I will devote my life now to being a super hero.............................. wit what can lobsters actually do? "
Pinch things? Hang out in supermarkets/restaurants for days/weeks?

I'm sure you can fight crime with your ability to... be incredibly delicious?
@John_Martone: HA!
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel