Know of any good english dubbing?

Topic started by crusader8463 on Nov. 30, 2009. Last post by Sophronimos 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by crusader8463 (739 posts) See mini bio Level 9
I'm not sure if it has been done already, but i was thinking it would be interesting to compile a list of anime that have good/great English dubbing in them. You always hear about how bad it typically is, or that people always prefer the Japanese VO to the English ones but I'm sure there must be at least a few out there that are the exception to the rule. I was thinking this could be used as a guide/helper for people in the mood for listening to an anime instead of reading it for a change ^_^

Some of the ones i have liked are: 

That is all i could think of off the top of my head, I'm sure you guys/gals can think of some more.
Post by Lan (621 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I can think of several in which I enjoy the dub or actually prefer it to the Japanese voice overs.  Here's a few of them:

• Ah My Goddess!
  • I My Me Strawberry Eggs!
  • Bleach
  • Gurren Lagann
  • El Hazard
Post by N15PCA (611 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Bersek. 
Hellsing. 
His and Her Circumstances. 
Boys Over Flowers. 
Patlabor 2: The movie. 
Fruits Baskets. 
Post by The_Desert_Tiger (1,243 posts) See mini bio Level 13

XTV 
Kenichi 
Black Lagoon 
Outlaw Star 
Gundam Seed 
Rurouni Kenshin
Post by Sophronimos (118 posts) See mini bio Level 13

This (at 0:24 I almost fell off my chair) and this (the dialogues = deep stuff) are a masterpieces.

Post by Daniel_Newton (3,183 posts) See mini bio Level 20

The dub for Dragon Ball Z Kai is the best dub I've ever heard, I can't stress that enough. Most of the cast have been voice acting for the franchise since FUNimation started dubbing Z, the experience shows.

I thought the dub for The Familiar of Zero was good, but they didn't dub beyond season 1, which is a real shame.

Oh, and I agree that the original dub cast for Pokémon was good. From what I've heard, the sound-a-likes they use now don't quite measure up.

Post by Superevil225 (6,742 posts) See mini bio Level 17

The best I have ever heard, by far, is Baccano! I can't stand the Japanese version because the dub is actually better and suits the characters amazingly.

Post by JonathanAshleyMoore (6 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Anything by Studio Ghibli.

Post by sickVisionz (4,256 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Paniponi Dash deserves a nod. They killed it in that dub. I started watching the show in Japanese but switched to English to get subtitle-free screen captures and now I can't imagine ever watching the show in Japanese rather than English. The hit a home run on that dub.

Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Necro-thread, but Gun X Sword had pretty good English dub. I watched it in Japanese with subs, but I occasionally flipped over to the English dub and it was very acceptable. Another older one that I saw recently again is Blue Seed. It's English Dub was good, too I thought. And I quite like the dub of Full Metal Panic. They got English speaking voice actors that sounded very much like their Japanese counterparts.

Post by TheRedRose (1,645 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Cowboy Bebop, Darurura, and Fullmetl Alchemist.
Post by sharingan_eyes (330 posts) See mini bio Level 9

i think people give Eng dubbing a bad rep, there has yet to be any dubbed version of any anime that i've disliked, i feel people who rag on the dubs are like those snobby hipsters that rag on mainstream movies and stick to indie films

Post by Sophronimos (118 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@sharingan_eyes: Matter of preference. I dislike all dubs, even those that are considered good and would rather not watch an anime than watch it dubbed, but it's not because of some elitist reasons. To me everything sounds better in japanese, both voices and the dialogues and I feel that dubs are just ruining the atmosphere of anime. Not saying there are no good ones, only that I don't see them as such.

... Said one of those snobby hipsters that rag on mainstream movies and stick to indie films.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel