Is Japan homophobic?

Topic started by waezi2 on April 12, 2014. Last post by Acura_Max 5 months ago.
Post by waezi2 (50 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Well?

Post by Dream (7,623 posts) See mini bio Level 21

The issue of LGBT rights in Japan is a very complicated area. While same-sex acts aren't legally banned and there aren't any notable cases of discrimination based on sexual identity within the country, politicians rarely address the issue publicly and there aren't many laws passed in support of the LGBT community that would include anti-discrimination laws and marriage rights. Public opinion on the issue is a divided issue with the majority of younger and middle-aged citizens in support of the recognition of LGBT rights while much of the older populace are in opposition to it. The complicated environment of this is mostly due to Japan's "group over individual" mentality being engrained into much of the populace with the idea that having a family with a life partner of the opposite sex and raising children is proof you are someone responsible that contributes to the community (by raising children who will be the next generation contributors of their society).

If you want more details regarding the issues of LGBT rights in Japan, click here.

Post by waezi2 (50 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@Dream: Thanks:)

Post by takashichea (12,295 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Hard for me to say. I'm from a southeast Asian country that doesn't think highly of homosexuality. Being a 1.5 generation, I still hold their old ways while adjusting to American ways. I'm on the fence on homosexuality. I'm hypocritical. I don't support it, but I don't go against people's choices of whom they marry, race or gender, etc. For this topic, it depends on folks. I wouldn't say Japan is homophobic. You can't say America is homophobic when only a few states have legalized gay marriages. The conservative folks, the older ones, are against it. It's considered a deviancy against norms of marriage in many societies. Compared to America, homosexuality is more open than Japan. Also, there is a biological aspect. How do humans survive since we cannot breed with 2 same genders by natural means?

I didn't want to talk about this since I might offend someone in this community. I don't mean no disrespect to anyone who has friends or families that support this.

Like Dream said, I see America is more individualistic while Japan, other Asian countries, and other non Asian countries stress community over the individual.

Post by taichokage (13,313 posts) See mini bio Level 20
To be honest many if not most countries still are. At least with Japan it seems to not be a huge taboo and it's in so much of their media, anime included. The issue is that while it seems tolerated well, probably better than some places in America for instance, it's often in the form of entertainment, stereotyping homosexuals as overly flamboyant.
Post by sickVisionz (4,288 posts) See mini bio Level 24

It's old people. Old people will eventually die and then young people who are either activists or simply like me and aren't super pro-gay rights but have a hard time coming to grips with why people should be legally discriminated against will run things. Most places not ran by regimes aiming to strictly control the thoughts and opinions of citizens and aren't lynching people for being gay are going this route, if for no reason than gay people are coming out of the closest, not seeing why they should even have to be in the closet, and are being more public than ever so you're going to have to deal with them and their issues whether you like it or not. Even for places not like that, if you have the internet you get exposed to how it is other places and it broadens your views on what's possible and things slowly start to change from there.

Anyways, Japan doesn't seem too homophobic or at least not radically more so than the US. We don't have major video game and comic genres dedicated to men and school boys having sex with each so that in and of itself has to be a sign of some level of acceptance.

@takashichea said:

Hard for me to say. I'm from a southeast Asian country that doesn't think highly of homosexuality. Being a 1.5 generation, I still hold their old ways while adjusting to American ways. I'm on the fence on homosexuality. I'm hypocritical. I don't support it, but I don't go against people's choices of whom they marry, race or gender, etc. For this topic, it depends on folks. I wouldn't say Japan is homophobic. You can't say America is homophobic when only a few states have legalized gay marriages. The conservative folks, the older ones, are against it. It's considered a deviancy against norms of marriage in many societies. Compared to America, homosexuality is more open than Japan. Also, there is a biological aspect. How do humans survive since we cannot breed with 2 same genders by natural means?

With the way you phrased it, wouldn't that point to the opposite in that America is homophobic; that you can say that America is homophobic because only a few states have legalized gay marriages?

Post by DevilMayhem666 (261 posts) See mini bio Level 10

When I read the title I instantly thought of how the anime version of Naruto cut the "Boy-on-boy sexy no justu" but not the girl-on-on.

Online Now

@sickVisionz:

Thanks for correcting me. I wasn't watching what I typed.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,724 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I doubt it or else yaoi (hope that's right) would bever exist. But I bet some are.

Also me I am all with equallity. I support homosexuality and homosexual marriage. I hate homophobic people.

Online Now

I don't think anyone said this, but as a foreigner in America, I notice these trends:

• Generally but not always, it's hard for a straight man to love another man sexually, more than a friend. He doesn't want to be seen as homophobic. He does support these relationships, but his main interests will be women.
  • For women, it's more common to see these homosexual relationships between women and men. For heterosexual or homosexual men, they support gay women more than gay men.

That's why I seen in our discussion threads: more guys, straight or gay, watching yuri shows such as Sakura Kiss. I find it strange yet interesting that yuri anime shows have more male audiences while yaoi anime series have more female audiences. Isn't yuri or yaoi anime shows supposed to enpowered those individuals instead serving as fetish candies?

In American shows I seen like Glee, I seen the empowering themes more prominent than anime shows.

Edit:

In conclusion, what I'm saying is that straight men are saying they support equality in fear of being labeled homophobic.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,747 posts) See mini bio Level 20

I dont think Japan is homophobic, they certainly dont persecute gays or anything, they probably have gay bars and such as well. There just a traditional society where gay culture is generally not mainstream I dont think. Nothing wrong with that.

Post by Acura_Max (2,335 posts) See mini bio Level 13

Is Japan homophobic? Let's ask people who live in Japan and those who have contact to people in Japan.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel