Is Final Fantasy Truly thing King of RPGs?

Topic started by KingOfAsh on Dec. 17, 2012. Last post by taichokage 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by KingOfAsh (1,389 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Final Fantasy is often praised as being King of the RPG's but I don't think so. It may be popular, but how much has it added to RPGs? Not much, I say actually. Phantasy Star and Mother came out at a similar time to the original Final Fantasy and are way more original and inervative than it. Final Fantasy VII is often refered to as having a new setting and darker plot than previous RPGs, yet Phantasy Star II had a science fiction setting and a dark plot long before Final Fantasy VII. And yet it's forgotten. Final Fantasy VII is praised for having the first 3D in the Final Fantasy series. Tha'st what makes it so revolutionary. It's not the first 3D game released, not even the first 3D RPG. Yet that is always the reason why it is so revolutionary.

Even to today it is still considered the greatest RPG series ever? Why? Just about every Final Fantasy is the samee, at least since the release of VII (evil organisation, moody with a large sword hero who says everything is all his/her fault a lot, then smiles at the end, a villain who wants to be a God and is fought during the final boss as some kind of oddly winged angel, ridiculously oversexualised teenage girls who "hold the team together")? In terms of gameplay it's getting worse and worse, almost not a game at all. And this is meant to add to the genre?

In 2003, Morrowind gave us a freeroaming world were you can go as you please (Oblivion and Skyrim have given more freeroaming, as well as Dragons Dogma). Then games like Fable, Mass Effect and The Witcher allow every last descision that you make to impact upon the story. Dark Souls and Borderlands gave unique gameplay as well as questioning "what is an RPG?" at the same time. On the handhelds, FIre Emblem has brought more light to turn based strategy, and Etrian Odyssey shows a new take on old gameplay to give us something fresh and challenging. That's not even starting of MMORPGs (I don't play MMORPGs, so I can't really talk for them, I hear Guild Wars 2 is quite stunning though) and looters. But screw all that crap when you have Final Fantasy with it's beautiful graphics and amazing storylines. Final Fantasy, however, has no customisation, no choices, no originality. In fact, to describe it as ridiculously cliched would be an understatedment (I understand many stories have cliches, but in the case of Final Fantasy it is just ridiculous). While other games have given us something new and have tried to inovate, Final Fantasy have given us the same stories with less fun while being even more wrapped up in it's own cliches. That's right, it's not fun. The music is also not as good as it's made out to be, escpesially One Wing Angel and XIII's soundtrack is just awful.

What's worse is that people still view it as the best, and we have had so many Final Fantasy clones and spikey haired loser whining that it's all their fault and all that rubbish.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,278 posts) See mini bio Level 21

It seem like you mad LOL!

Anyway, I like Final Fantasy, the only ones I don't like are 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13. But I don't think it the best of all time (that would go to Chrono Trigger)

I love the Red Wings theme from FFIV :)

Post by Fat_Magnum (2,493 posts) See mini bio Level 16

I would agree with most of this opinion. Final Fantasy has lived past its prime, for sure. In its day it was one of the greats and I wouldn't deny the classic status of some of the franchises' titles, myself highly enjoying VII and IV as well as what portions I've played of others (sans XIII).

It is difficult to discern what, if any, title or franchise is the best within the bounds of its genre, even so my personal favorite would have to be The Elder Scrolls III.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,724 posts) See mini bio Level 17

Pokemon is the best RPG game IMO.

tho Final Fantasies are epic!

Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Final Fantasy made JRPGs popular in the West was one of the series that helped make it popular in Japan. It's lost some of it's appeal today but it's still a good series. It looms over most others in both quality and quantity. I've only played 13 and 13-2 but none of those were filled with over sexualized teenagers. The closest you come in those two is that there are females.

I especially enjoy the combat of XIII, probably moreso than any other RPG I've played outside of hybrid games like Mass Effect 2/3 and Borderlands (although BL is a shit RPG imo).

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Post by Acura_Max (2,337 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Online Now

Final Fantasy VII did do something special. They killed off a main party member mid way in the game. It's significant because you wouldn't expect a character to die after about 50 levels of grinding and the fact that; the fact that Aerith was practically everyone's healer gave the death more impact because it destroyed party strategy. Even if they did take this idea from someone else, at least they did it well.

Final Fantasy also has some great stories. True, they might have some cliches, but everything has cliches. That's the definition of cliches: ideas that are used very often.

Not all Final Fantasy women are overly sexualised. If you look at the new Final Fantasy game, you will find that the main heroine has more armor on than a vast majority of western rpgs (ex. Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins).

Other than all that. I'm going to have to agree with your opinion. Final Fantasy has kind of lost its way and become absorbed in its own shallow pretentiousness. Right now I don't think Square Enix has a clue about what gamers want anymore. From what I hear, they want to add more cgi cut scenes and more QTEs instead of real gameplay. Also the armor Lightning is wearing looks pretty goofy, but she does look like a Final fantasy character.

Post by Fehafare (9,334 posts) See mini bio Level 13

The only right answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

No oversexualised women, eh? As for killing off a main party member...

Happened a long time before FFVII.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,278 posts) See mini bio Level 21

Chrono Trigger did it better :)

Post by Kurohige (3,718 posts) See mini bio Level 19

I like Final Fantasy, at least they are not shoving Final Fantasy 7 down our throats anymore. I think Shin megami Tensei has the best RPGs and Chrono Trigger is my favorite right after that, however, there is no denying the kind of impact Final Fantasy had on the West. I may have used up it's charm but it is still an awesome series. I love their art and storylines and aside from 13 they have done a consistent job of making all the games awesome and the characters unique.

Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Meanwhile at Spoony's place

Post by Petiew (244 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Final Fantasy is fun. I think people often bash the series just because it's popular. Not that there aren't serious criticisms that can be applied to every game in the series, because there are. But I think a lot of the hate stems from the fact that it's so well known.  
The moody hero with the big sword thing in every game isn't even true. 7 and 8 are the only ones I can think of. Possibly 10 but Tidus is upbeat fr the majority. Cloud isn't even that moody apart from the beginning and late in disc 2.

Some of the games are definitely overrated, but this can be applied to almost every game ever. I'd actually say Chrono Trigger is a heck of a lot more overrated than FF. I think that game suffered because of the party system. You can take any character at almost any time which results in very few moments where all of your party are together. You can totally miss things like the romance subplot (Like the GB guys did) because the development of it is entirely dependent on having Marle in your party. (It's not even a Star Ocean type thing where you gain affinity, you can not talk to her for the whole game, take her along 10 hours later and the scene will play out exactly the same as if she had been with Crono the entire journey.)
Post by GOKUvsVEGETA (8 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I agree that Phantasy Star was more ground-breaking than FFVII, but all of them (except for 4) are somewhat painful to play with slow speed and lame battle systems. Phantasy Star 4 actually stands out due to great presentation and awesome story, which culminates everything that happened in the previous games. Oh and the final boss is just epic. Also, FFVII's pre-rendered graphics are really nice looking, or maybe I just prefer this style cause I love DK country.

I personally can't even decide which RPG is the best, it could be Dragon Quest, FFVII, PS4, Pokemon.... or something else.

Post by Vaccine (30 posts) See mini bio Level 6

To each his/her own opinion.

Not everyone is gonna be a fan of the series and it's okay. It just means that FF is just not your type of game. I'm sure that there are some out there who are able to claim that FF is the BEST RPG ever with a straight face and it's perfectly alright for them to say that since it is their opinion and to them, it might actually be true. There are always two sides to a particular story.

In my opinion and preference, I really like the FF series. I remembered buying the PS2 just to play Final Fantasy 10. My favorite game from the entire series so far is FF 9. It is spectacular and holds a special place in my heart as one of the best games I have ever played. Note that I have played it more than 3 times. I'll leave it at that. :P

Post by Blindside (1,003 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Elder Scrolls!

Waits for the raging hordes to slaughter him mercilessly for such a blasphemy.

@Petiew said:

Final Fantasy is fun. I think people often bash the series just because it's popular. Not that there aren't serious criticisms that can be applied to every game in the series, because there are. But I think a lot of the hate stems from the fact that it's so well known. The moody hero with the big sword thing in every game isn't even true. 7 and 8 are the only ones I can think of. Possibly 10 but Tidus is upbeat fr the majority. Cloud isn't even that moody apart from the beginning and late in disc 2.Some of the games are definitely overrated, but this can be applied to almost every game ever. I'd actually say Chrono Trigger is a heck of a lot more overrated than FF. I think that game suffered because of the party system. You can take any character at almost any time which results in very few moments where all of your party are together. You can totally miss things like the romance subplot (Like the GB guys did) because the development of it is entirely dependent on having Marle in your party. (It's not even a Star Ocean type thing where you gain affinity, you can not talk to her for the whole game, take her along 10 hours later and the scene will play out exactly the same as if she had been with Crono the entire journey.)

Chrono Trigger may be overrated compared with Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG and maybe even Elder Scrolls Arena/Daggerfall, but not Final Fantasy. The One Wing Angel video on Youtube has more views than the sales both Chrono games put together.

@Blindside said:

Elder Scrolls!

Waits for the raging hordes to slaughter him mercilessly for such a blasphemy.

It seems that Square Enix fanboys/girls can't accept anyone not utterly agreeing with their opinion and liking/disliking whatever they like.

Post by Blindside (1,003 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@KingOfAsh: Apparently not. However, I was expecting a fair bit more hate than this, so you know.

Post by taichokage (13,328 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Never played a Final Fantasy Game. For me the two best RPGs are Tales of Symphonia and X-men Legends.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel