Internet Explorer is not currently safe to use

Topic started by Lemegeton300 on Dec. 16, 2008. Last post by HeeroYuy 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
i know stories like this are nothing new, but websites and news stations over here are reporting this is a serious threat. Do not use internet explorer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/dec/16/internet
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2232591/ie-flaw-worse-originally
http://www.kwtx.com/nationalnews/headlines/36194319.html

Post by Little_Sparrow (1,220 posts) See mini bio Level 12
I always use firefox. Its alot safer and its features are alot better, IE has always had its problems and IE8 is going to suck. Fair warning to you all.
Post by Lemegeton300 (300 posts) See mini bio Level 10
thanks for moving to OT board. meant to post it there
Post by Amuck (943 posts) See mini bio Level 9
OMG SPARROW IS A MOD! ^_^ YAYS FOR AWESOME MODS!!

and yeah, I use firefox a lot too. I rarly use IE, unless for some reason my firefox isnt working which is seldom. I dont trust IE...
Post by orz (114 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I haven't used IE since Mozilla (before it became firefox) came out.
Post by Yoshio_Hyuga (404 posts) See mini bio Level 2
The only times I use IE is when Firefox doesn't work for some reason (and that usually fixes itself within 5 minutes)...
Post by Agent_Lost (1,124 posts) See mini bio Level 10
hmm, i don't remember that last time i used I.E., once Firefox was out, I kiss I.E. goodbye. Now that chrome is out, it really hard to recommend I.E. to anyone.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Anyone who is still using IE should move to firefox like right now
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Black_Rose said:
"Anyone who is still using IE should move to firefox like right now"
Not if you're concerned about security. Firefox isn't much better than Internet Explorer in that regard.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
LordAndrew said:
"Black_Rose said:
"Anyone who is still using IE should move to firefox like right now"
Not if you're concerned about security. Firefox isn't much better than Internet Explorer in that regard."
The thing is that hackers tend to go for IE because it's the more popular one with the general public since it already is on computers. The average computer user/consumer isn't going to get some new browser, they'll just stick with what's on there. That's one of the only reasons Firefox is "safer."

I <3 Firefox. I use a bunch of its add-ons.
Post by GlareMaverick11987 (88 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Who uses IE anymore?
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
RedRoses said:
"The thing is that hackers tend to go for IE because it's the more popular one with the general public since it already is on computers. The average computer user/consumer isn't going to get some new browser, they'll just stick with what's on there. That's one of the only reasons Firefox is "safer."

I <3 Firefox. I use a bunch of its add-ons."
Firefox also still extremely popular though, and therefore a big target as well.
It's a fine browser, but it's wrong to assume that switching will automatically make you safe.
Post by Resonate (625 posts) See mini bio Level 7
Ive used Flock since it came out, and Fire Fox before that. I deny using IE as much as possible
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Yes Firefox is popular too but as I said earlier, the average consumer is going to use IE just because it's on the computer already. Maybe I should've defined 'average consumer' because it could mean different things to different people I suppose. I think of an average consumer of computers as someone who will do the simple stuff like use Word, go on some instant messenger, and semi-use the Internet for random stuff like email and youtube. The gist of the stuff.
The average consumer is someone like my uncle. He uses the computer for burning cds for his photos, check his email and stocks, use Word and other programs similar to it, and use youtube and mapquest. Very basic stuff.

I doubt that this type of person will look for another type of browser to use and they'll know even less about hacking and safety precaution.

That's why hackers would be more likely to aim for IE rather than Firefox. That's just my opinion though since I'm not a hacker so I dunno their minds.

I'm making a sweeping generality I'm aware of that. :]
Post by Death_Flame (318 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I hate IE and always will... /./
Post by NDR008 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 2
I hate M$ don't use Windows to begin with (neither the new M$-monoply-like Mac).
Post by alicethesister (3 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Has IE been safe to use in the last 8 years? I remember with IE 6, there were security flaws they refused to patch for some reason. IE7 looks cool, but I would never trust Microsoft with anything online. When I'm on a public computer I usually use Google Chrome. It has enough simplicity, but without the weird memory leaks and such that firefox sometimes brings upon itself.  At home I run Linux, and I use a Firefox-based social browser called Flock. It works pretty well.
Post by NDR008 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 2
A linux user!!! ^^
Post by Death_Flame (318 posts) See mini bio Level 3
alicethesister said:
"Has IE been safe to use in the last 8 years? I remember with IE 6, there were security flaws they refused to patch for some reason. IE7 looks cool, but I would never trust Microsoft with anything online. When I'm on a public computer I usually use Google Chrome. It has enough simplicity, but without the weird memory leaks and such that firefox sometimes brings upon itself.  At home I run Linux, and I use a Firefox-based social browser called Flock. It works pretty well."
IE keeps on popping up with adds. And the weird thing is that I'm not even using Ie i'm using firefox
Post by Rain_Man (1,318 posts) See mini bio Level 7
I use IE everyday.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel