Incest in Anime: This Article is Happening, Guys

Topic started by macgetmalled on Sept. 23, 2013. Last post by DBZ_universe 9 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by macgetmalled (13 posts) See mini bio Level 9

Dear AV, I love you guys and your site. I've been posting up stuff at the classy wasteland for a while now, give the sample a read and if you like to read the rest give it a click.

Thanks,

Rick

Written by Rick Babeg and Ian.

Do I have your attention?

What makes anime fun as hell to watch and then write about is the crazy stuff that it likes to do. Unless you’re from Boonies, Pennsyltucky, incest is considered taboo. In anime, however, it’s considered the most normal thing in the world besides Goku screaming for no goddamn reason.

Before you lower your head and sigh, “oh, Japan”, incest in anime has been around for quite a while. Back in 1986, Yagami-kun’s “Family Affair” ran in the anime-centric Japanese magazine, Young Sunday. It’s a manga about a boy trying to wine and dine his mother. It was quite popular even though Young Sunday was a Seinan (an adult male’s magazine). Yagami-kun’s “Family Affair” even found a strange audience in teenage girls. A great aspect of the show was that the mother in the series actually had a great relationship with her husband. It’s not her fault that her pervy son was trying to destroy him.

Incest in Japan, as a whole, goes back a bit farther though. You have to look at Japanese royalty much like you would England’s. Japan had a similar ideality about imperial bloodlines; it was all about purity. If you’re wealthy and powerful, then your family tree doesn’t really need to branch. Alas, all orgy/family reunion hybrids must come to an end eventually. Unlike England, who tries to have a sense of humor about it now, Japan still bows their heads in shame while trying to hide their past away.

Not Anime, though. Anime is a medium used as an open forum to air out any and all ideas and opinions. At the end of the day, Anime is still considered to be “commoner” entertainment. Lower class people have no problem talking and laughing about crazy stuff because they also understand it. In an attempt to modernize, Japan has been desperately trying to remove itself from its class system. They’ve actually been doing it fairly well. But just like making a good pot of tea, it takes time.

Mod Edit

Removed Link

Post by Donwun (112 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Interesting insights, thanks for sharing this

Post by taichokage (12,486 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I've seen a few of these types before. I've never finished a whole manga of this demograph before though.
Post by Dream (7,099 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Seen a fair number of anime that toy around with incest in some form, many of which use it as a cheap excuse for ecchi antics or melodrama.

1. Kiss x Sis
  2. Koi Kaze
  3. Angel Sanctuary
  4. I'm in Love with my Younger Sister
  5. OniAi
  6. Yosuga no Sora
  7. Love Hina Again

I wouldn't be surprised if there are hentai that milk the taboo as well.

Post by takashichea (10,630 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Dream:

Don't forget Oreimo.

@takashichea: Forgot about the ending to that one.

And I guess the Monogatari franchise would also count with the vibes that come up with Araragi and his sisters.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,385 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@Dream: I don't think Kiss x Sis counts since they are not blood related...then again I never got past the 3rd chapter.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,323 posts) See mini bio Level 15

I was wondering why some anime have positive portrayals of incest. Elfin Lied had cousinly love .I stopped caring for anyone in the show when Lucy asked Koda if he had a boy cousin or a girl cousin.

@DBZ_universe: Step-sibling relationships are usually used in anime to make the relationship between those in a series less unsettling for its audience when it involves family relations. It's also one of those gray areas in society where while it is legal in many cases since there are no blood relations, it can still be baffling and considered taboo to many since they perceive any stepfamily to be no different from a regular family in establishing a platonic relationship.

@KingOfAsh: I had mentioned this to takashichea before in the Oreimo discussion thread regarding cousin relationships. Here was my two cents on the matter from what I've researched...

As for cousin relationships, attitudes and laws towards them tend to vary by country with some Western countries (like the U.S.) not condoning them yet are legal depending on territory and conditions, while others like Japan, Russia and the Middle East have no issue with them and even condone first cousin marriages. It's why you see some anime titles like Fruits Basket or Kanon develop cousin relationships with others not taking issue to it.

Recent medical research has shown that consummating between cousins have a very low chance (about 3%) of producing genetic defects for offspring in comparison to siblings or those of other close relations. But even with the research, cousin relationships are still treated as a sort of social stigma in some Western countries due to perceived societal roles that many assume exist with familial relationships.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,385 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I see, well that makes sense. Epecially if the parents support it lol

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel