How do you browse the forums?

Topic started by sickVisionz on Feb. 5, 2011. Last post by DBZ_universe 1 year, 4 months ago.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) Level
Moderator

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • I usually just hop from one forum to the next
  • I setup a favorites list and pretty much stick to that
  • I use the "Latest Topics" and pick threads from there
  • My method isn't listed up here.
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
I was curious about everyone's browsing habits.  I tried setting up a favorites list but I found I was missing good posts that weren't in those specific topics and there are waaaaaaaaaaaay too many individual ones for me to browse them all.  What I've enjoyed is just using the Latest Topics option that pulls the most recent posts from every major or minor forum on the site.  I like that method because I don't miss much and combined with preferences, it lets me avoid the forums that I don't want to see.  It's kinda like the opposite of favorites in that it shows you everything except for what you specifically tell it not to rather than only showing what you specifically tell it to.  
 
What your browsing habits?
Post by PenguinDust (1,008 posts) See mini bio Level 13
I use "Latest Topics" most of the time since I've set my preferences to block RPG, Battles and Quest posts from appearing.  I have absolutely no interest in those subjects and since they seem to be where the most traffic takes place, cutting them out entirely focuses the "Latest Topics" to suit my needs.  After that I jump between "General" and "Just Anime".  My "Favorites" is just "Just Anime" so there is little point going there but it keeps the front page listing free of random topics.  I don't read manga but it's still neat to see what going on in that area since it can differ from the anime. 
 
Also, I use the "Followed Blogs" box on the front page here on Anime Vice a lot more than I do over on Giant Bomb or the other Whiskey sites. 
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Moderator
I pretty much use the "Latest Topics" for over 95% of my forum browsing on AnimeVice. The other 5% goes to looking at followed blogs, such as JJOR64, PenguinDust, FoxxFireArt, ZombiePie, and others that I keep up with.
Post by Daniel_Newton (3,226 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
Yep, Newest Topics. Unless you're one of the users from the battle or RPG forums, I really see no other way of browsing the boards. I have to look at two pages tops and then I haven't missed anything since I last checked. 
I do have the moderator hangout and the editing and tools boards favourited though, that way they appear on the homepage at the bottom so I can check that stuff really easily.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@sickVisionz: "Browse"? I troll, thank you very much.
Post by Fire Star (3,730 posts) See mini bio Level 16
Moderator

I hop from forum to forum. There really isn't any rhyme or reason.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@fire_star: Trolling has no rhyme or reason, d00d.
Post by Supreme Marvel (5,142 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Like a BOSS!!
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@supreme_marvel:   
Post by sickVisionz (4,289 posts) See mini bio Level 24
Moderator
@supreme_marvel:   
On a more serious note I asked this because sometimes people moan when I move a thread and say it won't get traffic now.  I browse via the latest threads so I never miss anything but I'd be more hesitant to move threads if I saw that a good # of people weren't browsing that way really would miss the threads that I move.
Post by Supreme Marvel (5,142 posts) See mini bio Level 12
Well I've taken Battles off of my preference because there are a lot of morons in there. I mostly browse the off-topic, general discussion areas. And if something pops up in a animé section I'll check it out in case it's to my liking.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@sickVisionz: Well, if I didn't troll, this thread would've been dusty still.
Post by Sonata (35,404 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
Latest Topics first then RPG and Off topic sections.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Sonata: I'd call lamer...
Post by Sonata (35,404 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto:  Now you lost me:P
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Moderator
@ShadowKnight508 said:
" I pretty much use the "Latest Topics" for over 95% of my forum browsing on AnimeVice. The other 5% goes to looking at followed blogs, such as JJOR64, PenguinDust, FoxxFireArt, ZombiePie, and others that I keep up with. "
Still this, but I find myself surfing the Forums page more and more often nowadays.
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Sonata: By staying with all the newest stuff... and ONLY the newest stuff, you miss out on some sweet gems of threads. That;s how I was able to get this one going again- by going and digging it up.
Post by Sonata (35,404 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Moderator
@Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto:  Yeah thats true, but for me since I have been here so long (Day 1 Actually) I seen most of the old gems:P
Post by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (8,779 posts) See mini bio Level 18
@Sonata: But does that mean you have to abandon them? No, it doesn't.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel