Hard vs Easy life

Topic started by Kurohige on Aug. 22, 2012. Last post by Samimista 2 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Kurohige (3,743 posts) See mini bio Level 19

This is the second of 3 major thoughts, recently I have been hanging out with some of my friends at my Highschool, one of them is a girl who for the sake of this discussion I will call Lillith and a guy who we will refer to as Mike. Lilith was physiologically abused by her mother when she was younger, resulting in her being very distant and blunt with others, then we have Mike who came from a good middle-class family with a mother a father and a nice younger brother. They two get along okay most of the time, but Mike has a habit of complaining about even the smallest thing (Which gets on my nerves too, honestly.) but this of course, caused Lilith to snap at him. For example, last week the three of us were hanging out in the school field, Mike was complaining about never having enough time to do anything due to his grandmother constantly needing attention (His grandmother is morbidly obese and can't do much by herself.) this causes Lilith to snap at him, usually saying something like, "Be grateful your grandmother is still around; not everyone is that lucky!" or "You don't even have a job and you are complaining? Some people work far harder than you for less." this results in an ongoing argument between the two that last for nearly 30 minutes before they both decide to just stop talking to each other.

Later they would continue arguing, this time about being grateful and such. Mike came up to me when Lilith left and would ask "So what we are never allowed to complain about anything, now? We have to be nothing but puppies and rainbows?" Admittedly I did see where Mike was coming from but at the same time he did complain a lot, I didn't have an answer for him so I remained silent, he didn't seem to notice since he kept on ranting. Later I went to talk to Lilith who was lighting stuff on fire (One of her hobbies) she told me that people shouldn't complain when there are people less fortunate than them, that whenever you feel unhappy you should remember that there is always someone who has it worse. Again, I saw where she was coming from, and I have complained about certain things that others that are less fortunate would love, such as my food being nasty or having too much homework or not getting paid enough at my work when there are those who would work harder than I do for less money. I tried to tell her that people complain sometimes and Mike has being having a rough time at home but whenever I do she would stop me short and explain her hard past with her mother and being an outcast and such, and saying that Mike has no right complaining about his life at home.

After a while Mike eventually told me that he thinks he will stop hanging out with Lilith "Our backgrounds are too different, she has to compare people to everything that is unfortunate when they say one negative thing." I saw where he was coming from but to end a friendship over it? So far the two have not said much to each other so I guess he was serious, but I was wondering if any of you felt that way when you hear people complain, I am sure some of you on the vice have had a rough life at some point so I was wondering if you could shed light on if Mike was in the right to complain. I will post the third thought tomorrow.

Post by sickVisionz (4,307 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Mike sounds like a regular person and Lilith sounds like someone who takes great enjoyment from bitching at people and being upset. Some folk are like that, as crazy as it may be. You'd think nobody likes being upset but when you analyze their actions, it would seem like being upset is very much a state that they always wish to be in.

@Kurohige said:

Later I went to talk to Lilith who was lighting stuff on fire (One of her hobbies)

Lol, what? She's bitchy and a pyromaniac. Not a good mix. I thought people grow out of pyromania in their young teens. Be careful. Those who don't either transition into a career in pyrotechnics or become arsonists.

Post by Sonata (35,509 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Sounds like the girl has all the issues if you ask me. And may need some kind counselling IMO.There is nothing wrong with complaining (sometimes) about things, because if we weren't that means life is perfect and we have everything we want and need. 
Post by Samimista (178 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@sickVisionz said:

Mike sounds like a regular person and Lilith sounds like someone who takes great enjoyment from bitching at people being upset. Some folk are like that, as crazy as it may be. You'd think nobody likes being upset when you analyze their actions, it would seem like being upset is very much a state that they always wish to be in.

@Kurohige said:

Later I went to talk to Lilith who was lighting stuff on fire (One of her hobbies)

Lol, what? She's bitchy and a pyromaniac. Not a good mix. I thought people grow out of pyromania in their young teens. Be careful. Those who don't either transition into a career in pyrotechnics or become arsonists.

This. I would be a bit concerned if I knew someone who enjoyed setting stuff on fire for fun. Also, I agree with Mike. The two are very different and if they get into so much arguments over little things it would be best if the two go their own separate ways.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel