Gaia Online Joins the Layoff Club

Topic started by gia on Dec. 16, 2008. Last post by discostar 5 years, 7 months ago.
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Gaia Online
Gaia Online
According to BizJournals.com, the popular social networking site that is totally less cool than ours Gaia Online has laid off 16 full-time and 20 contract employees, about 13% of its total staff. This is in spite of a report by the San Jose Mercury that the company, which makes $1 million selling virtual goodies to real-life anime and game geeks-- and expects December to be a record month. It's a preemptive strike to avoid falling into the trouble other companies are already in, but still...ouch.

Gaia joins TOKYOPOP and probably a couple dozen other entertainment (although not necessarily anime/manga)-related companies in laying off this month. Happy Holidays?

Thanks to Gage for the tip!

Post by Niko (865 posts) See mini bio Level 8
It's sad for Gaia. I never could get into it, but it sucks to see layoffs.
Post by MorpheusDreamweaver (93 posts) See mini bio Level 1
Ya know, I'm not feeling very sad for Gaia. They're still succesful, yet they're canning 13% of their staff? Not the kind of company that's worth having any feelings over in my book.
Post by Schwindelmagier (314 posts) See mini bio Level 6
I used to be big into Gaia but nowadays I don't go on at all.
Too bad about the layoffs though ):
Post by LordAndrew (152 posts) See mini bio Level 11
How so, MorpheusDreamweaver? There are plenty of "successful" businesses that are experiencing troubles seeing layoffs.

And really, no one should be having any feelings for any company. It's the people that matter.
Post by omo (113 posts) See mini bio Level 2
A lot of companies are canning staff even if they're looking to do fine through the recession. Business decisions and all.
Post by Sonata (35,160 posts) See mini bio Level 20
WOW i used to be on Gaia also, I'm sad to see people lose their jobs.
Post by GlareMaverick11987 (88 posts) See mini bio Level 4
GOOD! I've had it with Gaia Online.
Post by DarkShaper (76 posts) See mini bio Level 5
I don't really like Gaia but i always hate it when people get laid off
Post by discostar (1 posts) See mini bio Level 1
I Love Gaia Online. It's the only website I visit abut 600 times a day. They'll probably try to hire most of those people back in 2 years when the economy starts to swing back upwards.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel