Further Down The Rabbit Hole

Topic started by MyNiceIceLife on April 5, 2012. Last post by ImmortalSaiyan 2 years, 8 months ago.
Post by MyNiceIceLife (22 posts) See mini bio Level 11

This past Saturday I had the chance to attend my first anime convention with my friend Adam at Kitsune Kon in Appleton. Simply put, it was awesome! Neither of us went as far as cosplaying or anything, although we did see many people that were and I must say it is interesting at least. It's incredible some of the costumes that the people can create, although a lot of the time came down to figuring out what character we saw the most of. I'm pretty sure that Hatsune Miku won, although the Pikachu and Madoka people represented pretty well (even had two Lucy's from Elfen Lied which made me happy).

We spent 15 hours there, which for $15 ends up being a hell of a deal. We didn't actually attend any of the panels as they seemed to just be Power Point presentations, which we didn't want to bother with. Also, the autograph sessions were kind of pointless as both me and Adam listen to anime subbed instead of dubbed so most of the voice actors there we couldn't place unless we actually saw the show they did. So, so we spent most of the time walking around the vendor section, looking at cosplayers including the contest, talking with Adam's sister and friend, and playing a lot of arcade and rhythm games that they had set up downstairs (about half the time was spent on the games).

The vendor area was the most entertaining as we spent a lot of time looking at figures. Our first go around there were some interesting ones that caught my eye, but not until I saw the Tomoyo figure by Kotobukiya did I truly get excited. It was $85 though and since I only had $100 on me I decided that if it was meant to be it would be there the next time we went through. Sadly it wasn't, and my heart did sink a little bit. This however let me get a small figure and 1/8 scale figure of Azusa from K-On which made me happy. Almost bought the Ui nendoroid, but I didn't feel like spending $60 on it when I'll probably get the new swimsuit figure that comes out in August. Adam on the other hand didn't get away so cheap. He ended up spending $210 the day we were there on 5 Strike Witches figures and another figure that I can't remember the show she is from. The next day he had his sister pick him 2 more that he looked at, and just yesterday he picked up two Al Azif figures.

In the end he went from having no figures to having 10. Thankfully, I haven't gone that crazy, although I do have a few (the two Azusa figures, Asa Shigure from Shuffle, a Suzumiya Haruhi figma, and the recently re-released Rise Kujikawa figure). It's a dangerous thing to get sucked into buying those as they tend to get expensive rather quickly, especially when you have to start importing them. Another thing that'll get expensive is if we start going to more conventions, which the talk of going to the one in Chicago has come up. I doubt we'll go, but who knows.

And to end on a happy note from my story earlier about the figure that got away. The next day I went on Amazon and searched for it and sure enough it showed up. Not only that, but it was on $68 with free shipping. Needless to say that I am now waiting for my shipment from Amazon to add my new Tomoyo figure to my collection.

Post by sickVisionz (4,311 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Glad you all had fun. I think every anime fan should try a convention if they've never been to one. They are a ton of fun even if all you do is walk around and take in the sights.

Post by takashichea (14,510 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

I thought you were writing about Alice in Wonderland.

Yeah, the souvenirs are so tempting to buy. It's great that you found the figure on Amazon for a cheaper price.

I think every anime [fan] should try a convention if they've never been to one. They are a ton of fun even if all you do is walk around and take in the sights.

I need to visit an anime convention. Sucks that I don't have a car or time.

Post by MyNiceIceLife (22 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@takashichea said:

Well the title came to mind since one of the winners of the cosplay contest was dressed as Alice from Alice Madness Returns.

Post by ImmortalSaiyan (38 posts) See mini bio Level 9

@MyNiceIceLife said:

@takashichea said:

Well the title came to mind since one of the winners of the cosplay contest was dressed as Alice from Alice Madness Returns.

That sounds like a awesome costume.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel