Endangered Species

Topic started by r_syzygy on Jan. 19, 2009. Last post by HeeroYuy 5 years, 11 months ago.
Post by r_syzygy (0 posts) See mini bio Level 1

I found this website when I was confirming the rumours that Keanu Reeves was going to play Spike in the upcoming Bebop movie. Fascinating place, fun pages, it seems like a great anime place at which to hang out. 
     As to why I first came here...I am deeply disturbed by the news of such great animes and mangas being turned into live-action films. Transformers, Fist of the North Star, Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Lone Wolf and Cub, and many others. I've seen it happen to every sort of media: books, theater, cartoons, video games, comic books, newspaper comics, and even music. I find this trend to be extremely upsetting.
     Why must everything eventually wind up as a live-action movie? Are films the ultimate form of art? No. In fact, I think film is the most base form of art nowadays. Perhaps it was an artform years ago, even before I was born, when movies had to rely on plot, dialogue, and skilled direction instead of special effects, one-liners, and sex scenes. Production companies nowadays are spewing out whatever successful story they can find to turn a quick buck. The result? Lame interpretations of the stories we love, glazed over with gratuitous special effects and sex, all served in a convenient 90 minute package. 
     People are satisfied with just movies. They don't want to spend the time to watch 27 episodes or read 200 pages of comics or 1000 pages of a book to grasp what made the story great in the first place. They scoff at how the plot was weak, the characters were underdeveloped, or how implausible it concluded. They muse over the cuteness of the sidekick (Edward III, Gimli, Yamagata, etc) without realizing how important they are to the story. They suck on a sugary watermelon-flavored sweet instead of having the true experience of eating a real watermelon: the rind, the seeds, the sticky fingers, the messy chin, in addition to the succulent sweet taste.
     When it comes down to it...promote the comic, the anime, the book before the movie. Urge people to savor the original, not the cheap knock-off. Buy the mangas and animes of the stories you love, loan them to your friends, watch them with your lovers, talk about them with your co-workers. Live-action movies are devouring all other forms of media, but I refuse to let them go without a fight.

Post by HeeroYuy (1,210 posts) See mini bio Level 12
It's because Hollywood is out of ideas, so just as with every other form of media they've FUBAR'ed up, they're now getting around to anime and manga as well. Personally I don't think it's entirely a bad thing. Initially they may just have crappy ones that make shows look bad, but invariably there'll be a few at least that turn out good and get people interested in the original. From there they might get into other shows as well, but if not then it may also serve to inform others of what all this stuff is and that it's not just stupid Saturday morning cartoons.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel