Does anyone still read or subscribe to magazines?

Topic started by Konanda on May 2, 2010. Last post by Burntlettuce 4 years, 2 months ago.
Post by Konanda (796 posts) Level

Cast your vote

Once you make your selection the rest of the community's votes will appear.
  • Yes I have subscribed to one or more magazine(s)
  • No I just get all of my news and editorial content from the internet
  • I sometimes pick one up from the newstand if the cover story catches my eye
  • What's a magazine?
Post by Konanda (796 posts) See mini bio Level 17
 I was recently reading the newly relaunched EGM and quite enjoying it when I was thinking how many people really still read or subscribe to magazines particularly in the enthusiast press. 

Also do you think that publishers who run magazines will have to find a new hook instead of just news due to how fast news can be spread via the internet. I mean I was looking through the April issue of Otaku USA that I picked up at the newstand and found myself skipping through huge sections of it since they were just reporting on old news, which in comparison to my copy of EGM where the whole magazine is almost all features, interviews and reviews. (well and ads) Leaving all of the news duties to their website and keeping the original content that you won't find elsewhere. So, while the page count is less they have higher quality material in it along with having made it out of high quality paper (so now if I turn a page too hard it's not going to rip and such)  
Post by ShadowKnight508 (5,319 posts) See mini bio Level 19
Let me see...

Nascar Illustrated (2003 thru Present)
Gamepro (2001 thru 2008....now only buys them occasionally at market)
GameInformer (2008 thru Present)
Shonen Jump (2009 thru Present)
EGM (RIP) (2001 thru 2005)
Nintendo Power (2000 thru 2007)

The Official Playstation Magazine
(2004 thru 2007)

....and several more that I can not think of the name at the moment....
n_n
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@ShadowKnight508 said:
" Let me see...
 Gamepro (2001 thru 2008....now only buys them occasionally at market)
 "
In Holland the stopped at 2006 T_T i have all issues btw

Power Unlimited
Aniway
NationalGeographic Magazine
Quest
Doctor Who Magazine 
Shonen Jump

I`m subscribed to non of them i just buy them once in a while.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Yeah, I have a game informer one (and have for like, forever now) since gamestop is apt to throw those at you, though I don't often subscribe to other magazines.

Like, I have a weekly time subscription, but I get to maybe like, 1 out of ever 3-4 issues. Maybe I should see if there's a board gamer's magazine, the concept sounds awesome.
Post by Sonata (35,164 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I have my subscription to Gameinformer and read them at work:)
Post by Kelleth (7,777 posts) See mini bio Level 20
@John_Martone said:
" Yeah, I have a game informer one (and have for like, forever now) since gamestop is apt to throw those at you, though I don't often subscribe to other magazines.  Like, I have a weekly time subscription, but I get to maybe like, 1 out of ever 3-4 issues. Maybe I should see if there's a board gamer's magazine, the concept sounds awesome. "
There is something like that but i forgot how its called hmmmm.. i think it was done by the same guys from the Wizard Magazine and the Magic The Gathering magazine, Starcraft or something...
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
abit more or less

i got 
T3
Stuff
game informer
Megami (which i buy every time there's a new edition....)
and that model kit amgazine which i pick up every so often
Post by Zenaxzd (31 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Not gonna lie, first magazine I read in a while was 2 months ago (It was OXM I think) and the only reason I did so is because I was going home for the weekend and not taking anything with internet access. That was the first one I had read in like 5 years when I dropped my Nintendo Power subscription. The internet just stops any care I have for magazine outside of the ones that have sweet posters.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@Kelleth: Well, the trick has to be that a publication has to either offer something I can't get anywhere else "swag" or has to be about something that I don't care enough to go on the internet and stalk info on.

Like, video games and anime, whatever gets produced is 500 days old, and I've already heard about it. Plus, I can't see any video in a print magazine (at least none-worth-the-effort, ala insert discs) PC gamer did the demo discs, but now all consoles and PC have made grabbing demos super easy.

Like, Time Magazine works, because I barely, if at all, follow world events. So that info is pertinent, and on my time. I figured a board game one would work, since those are relatively timeless. Even if they're talking about like, settlers of catan, I still wouldn't mind reading an indepth article about it... as opposed to, say, Super Street Fighter IV reviews, two months from now.
Post by labam89 (19 posts) See mini bio Level 3
I subscribe to Adbusters.
@ShadowKnight508 said:
"Let me see... 

EGM (RIP) (2001 thru 2005)
"

Try the new one out it's actually pretty nice and almost all editorial content instead of a bunch of old news you've heard/read before.
@Konanda: There is a new EGM? Why have I not heard of this before?
@ShadowKnight508 said:
" @Konanda: There is a new EGM? Why have I not heard of this before?"

Um read my first post. o.O 

Anyway ya it's been in the making for awhile. Steve Harris who originally owned and published the magazine under his company Sendai before Ziff Davis has bought back the rights from the now defunct Ziff Davis and relaunched it. You should be able to find it on the newstands right now. (I got mine, which was the Ken cover [I believe the other cover is Ryu] last week) or you can subscribe via this link.
@Konanda: Thanks....I loved EGM and was devastated when I learned that Ziff Davis was shuttering the magazine back in 2006. I had to put up with GamePro (more like LamePro, if you ask me) in it's place until I quit GamePro to jump ship to GameInformer.
Post by wwfunderaker (485 posts) See mini bio Level 15
Its been a long time since a subscribed to a magazine.
Post by Burntlettuce (155 posts) See mini bio Level 14
EGM was the only magazine that I ever subscribed to. I just don't really like to sit down and read them, especially since I read through magazine's to quickly. 
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel