Do you believe that you have free will?

Topic started by InfiniteGeass on April 23, 2009. Last post by Zorn 4 years, 9 months ago.
Post by InfiniteGeass (527 posts) See mini bio Level 12
or do you think you are destined to do what you do in life? or do you think it is impossible to tell? I've thought about this question before and came to the conclusion that it is impossible to tell one way or the other, but I was wondering what you thought.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Ahh philosophical questions. These are always interesting to ponder.

I don't believe I am destined by some "fate." I believe any type of action can affect what happens in the future but I don't think my life is planned out from birth to death. There's way too many factors that just randomly happen in life. It seems too far-fetched to have a predestined life because then I'd be following some type of linear path.

Of course, there's are those who have their "rituals" everyday like their "waking up" ritual or whatever but is that destined to happen to us everyday? I believe that is just habit.

If we're talking about life events like so-and-so will die at this date while this person is gonna win the lotto at this time, they don't seem predetermined either. It just happens.

This question reminds me of xxxHOLIC. Yuuko told Watanuki that if you believe one way, then it probably is that way. Such a roundabout answer heh.
Post by lanaswift (636 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I believe that while it's intellectually interesting to discuss the topic, it's impossible to come to any kind of conclusion on it, and it's socially necessary for us to assume that people have free will. If we don't, then the notion of responsibility would be completely vanquished and, among other things, most of the world's justice systems would be completely destroyed. 
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
You make your own path, there's not such thing as "fate" or "destiny", there's only you and the people who guide you.
Post by Feral_Nova (1,863 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I think all of us have our lives planned out, with multiple paths that we can take. Kinda like those books you read, and they allow you to make a choice, and that choice leads you to a certain ending of that book, sometimes good if you make the right choice, and bad if you make the wrong choice. That’s how I think our lives are.

Yes, we do have free will to think for ourselves, but with every choice, sets us a step closer to a final destination that only one person really knows. For every move we make in life, we take a step closer to a final destination. Some choices will lead us away from one path and send us on another one, while other choices will bring us closer to the same path we’ve been walking.

But anyways, yes I think we have free will, but I also think we are all to be destined to do something great in life. The real question is, will we take the right path to make that come true for each of us? Or will we throw our lives away?

Post by Acer (5,676 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Black_Rose said:
"You make your own path, there's not such thing as "fate" or "destiny", there's only you and the people who guide you. "
Agreed
Post by MoonStorm (360 posts) See mini bio Level 9
RedRoses said:
"This question reminds me of xxxHOLIC. Yuuko told Watanuki that if you believe one way, then it probably is that way. Such a roundabout answer heh."
I remember that and there some truth to it. You can do what others tell you or you can do what you want to do. Personally you control all you actions, but on a cosmic scale none of your actions as any effect.
Post by Lady_Nightmare (2,789 posts) See mini bio Level 13
kinda
Post by Kou_Leifoh (613 posts) See mini bio Level 10
"Nobody is gonna give you a map, you gotta walk your own path"  -Outlaw Star.
Post by Tempest (895 posts) See mini bio Level 8
I think we have free will to some degree. I could say more on the subject but so far I think that's a bit uncalled for haha.
Post by BattleHeiz (5,765 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@Tempest: i agree cause i was saved from instant death so many times that i lost count.
Post by Kurohige (3,755 posts) See mini bio Level 19
If your strong enough you can do anything.
Post by cfatalis (19,150 posts) See mini bio Level 15
yes we have free will

see that obstacle ? KILL IT
Post by Dream (8,279 posts) See mini bio Level 21
Things like "fate" and "destiny" are mere illusions that one plants into their head to think they have no choice in their path in life. There are enough possibilities for one to follow depending on the choices and responsibilities they make throughout life on their own, not because "fate" and "destiny" makes you go in that direction.
Post by John_Martone (2,992 posts) See mini bio Level 10
@battleheiz said:
" @Tempest: i agree cause i was saved from instant death so many times that i lost count. "
Oh really? While I'm glad you were saved, wouldn't the number of times make you believe that fate has a more present role?

@Dream:
The only discussions on fate I can really interact in are theories on time travel, and I'm not sure we want to open that box.
Post by BattleHeiz (5,765 posts) See mini bio Level 15
@John_Martone:it exists at some degree 
Post by willyvereb (5,943 posts) See mini bio Level 17
We have free will and we have destiny too. Humans actually have both.
We're free to choose whatever we want but even that free will has some kind of logic and can be calculated if someone or something can keep note of every single happening down to the most minuscule one. Free will have it's own limits, limits we would probably never know. 
So because it can be calculate by some kind of super being we actually have a certain destiny. But we have no way to know it just believe in ourselves and do what we can.
If desitiny would be something to be known to humans then they can change it and it won't be destiny at all. People claiming they're destined to this and that are only convincing themselves by false images. It isn't necessarily bad but if we get overboard with it then it's sure harmful to us and to our environment...
Post by Halberdierv2 (1,300 posts) See mini bio Level 17
you choose what you want to do in life. what you choose will determine your destiny.
Post by Morpheus (210 posts) See mini bio Level 5
Yes

The only thing we dont have free will againt, is the choice of death. Were all gonna die, nothing we can do about it. Though we still have the free choice of when and how we die, if we so choose.
Post by willyvereb (5,943 posts) See mini bio Level 17
@Morpheus: Actually I heard about theories stating we subconciously choose our own time of death too...
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel