Difference between comics and manga? & Calvin and Hobbes

Topic started by johnnylancenese on Dec. 3, 2012. Last post by johnnylancenese 1 year, 7 months ago.
Post by johnnylancenese (2 posts) See mini bio Level 8

What is the Difference between American Comics, and Japanese Manga? Very little I would say. While American is just comics, Japanese have Graphic Novels. There is very little difference really. BUT I am into Calvin and Hobbes right now. Any Calvin and Hobbes fans, which is your favorite Imaginary Character that Calvin thought up in the comics? Not restricted to the ones above. 
 What is the Difference between American Comics, and Japanese Manga? Very little I would say. While American is just comics, Japanese have Graphic Novels. There is very little difference really. BUT I am into Calvin and Hobbes right now. Any Calvin and Hobbes fans, which is your favorite Imaginary Character that Calvin thought up in the comics? Not restricted to the ones above. 
Post by Acura_Max (2,323 posts) See mini bio Level 13

In my opinion, there is very little difference between American comics and Japanese manga. Most manga and American comic books are vehicles for wish fulfillment/power fantasies. The only difference is the styles and tropes.

Unfortunately, I'm not into Calvin and Hobbes. I just don't get them.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,510 posts) See mini bio Level 17

@Acura_Max said:

In my opinion, there is very little difference between American comics and Japanese manga. Most manga and American comic books are vehicles for wish fulfillment/power fantasies. The only difference is the styles and tropes.

Unfortunately, I'm not into Calvin and Hobbes. I just don't get them.

I agree!

Also me too, I never got into Calvin and Hobbes... Garfield is way better IMO..

Post by KingOfAsh (1,336 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Truth be told; they are both comics. Plain and simple.

Post by 5th (1,205 posts) See mini bio Level 10

@KingOfAsh said:

Or both mangas.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,510 posts) See mini bio Level 17

manga are also comics... just in a different style.

Post by johnnylancenese (2 posts) See mini bio Level 8
@5th said:

@KingOfAsh said:

Or both mangas.

Oh my goodness! My blind was just BLOWN! And most mangas are more graphic novels. They tell a linear story, while there is not real linear story in comics...like Calvin and Hobbes!  Some comics have story arcs though. Though, there are some none Japanese graphic novel, web comics, have stories etc.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel