Cutting Down on Anime

Topic started by Dream on April 20, 2014. Last post by Destinyheroknight 2 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by Dream (7,270 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@MikuMikuFan: No. You were the one making assumptions that I'm complaining about titles just based on initial first impressions. If you've seen anime long enough, you begin to get a sense of what a number of titles will either recycle for a premise or are milking a certain fad or genre of titles. The fact you say that nearly all titles you've seen are unique in their premises immediately gives me the impression that you're fandom of anime begun sometime in recent years.

Post by MikuMikuFan (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6
Ok, mr. mod can you name some examples? Shouldn't be too hard with your extensive knowledge of anime.

@MikuMikuFan: See a couple dozen titles of the same genre like a harem comedy, ecchi title, slice-of-life or dating sim based title. And I don't just mean the best quality titles that each genre has to offer. See ones with varying levels of quality based on reviews from fans or reviewers. As you watch them, you'll begin to pick up on the differing cliches and character archetypes that are milked in each title and then just researching off the title's initial premise (as many anime titles are based off source material of some sort) and watching a trailer for it would immediately clue you in on what that title offers. Those four particular genres I listed are very easy to pick up on with their predictability in terms of what they offer.

And forgot to mention this to folks, I've gotten over my anime burnout after a few weeks. Likely to cut down on what I spend since I went overboard last year with getting anime (well over $3,000 spending on anime), but I'm back on the saddle with gorging on anime for the time being.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,510 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I might quit anime and manga....same with AV

Post by nishi99 (1,588 posts) See mini bio Level 11

@DBZ_universe said:

I might quit anime and manga....same with AV

@DBZ_universe: Blasphemy.

@nishi99: or just giving it a rest then return.

@DBZ_universe: That's makes sense. Besides What would you do without Broly?

@nishi99: No Broly..man that would be boring.

@DBZ_universe: Or Kenpachi lol. What would be the point of life?

@nishi99: But I will still have funny moe girls if there was no Broly or Kenpachi.

Post by takashichea (11,161 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@nishi99: @DBZ_universe:

You two, this is Dream's thread. Please take your conversation in a PM or another thread. It's a bit of disrespect. Don't be offended.

Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@Dream said:

And forgot to mention this to folks, I've gotten over my anime burnout after a few weeks. Likely to cut down on what I spend since I went overboard last year with getting anime (well over $3,000 spending on anime), but I'm back on the saddle with gorging on anime for the time being.

Geez, even in my importing heyday I don't think I ever got anywhere close to that (over $1K but less than $2K). What are you buying?

@sickVisionz: Good chunk went towards out-of-print titles and limited/ premium editions of recent titles. Notable ones include all the box sets to Marmalade Boy (my most costly purchase last year at a whopping $225), a lot of Gundam SEED stuff, all the Premium Editions to Kimi ni Todoke and the first eight episodes of Hellsing Ultimate with a collectible box set.

I've winded up having to sell a decent chunk of stuff from my collection recently because I otherwise wouldn't have space to store anything else I purchase in my small bedroom.

Post by taichokage (12,697 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I gotta pick up some more. I'm guilty of not buying nearly as much as I read/watch. For anime I'd like to buy Monster full set. And manga I'd go for a full volume set of Berserk, Magi and Toriko. That'd probably take me over 500/600 which i can't afford right now but one can plan ahead.

@taichokage: Your best bet for getting Monster is importing it if you have a region-free DVD or Blu-Ray player. Viz Media never released the whole series on DVD. I believe Siren Visual, an Australian anime distributor, has rights to Monster within the country if you're looking for an English release.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,075 posts) See mini bio Level 12

Yeah, I watched way too many till the point where I was getting annoyed with it. Took like a 6 month sabbatical from animé. Then came back strong. What got my blood pumping again was Attack on Titan. Cannot tell you how much I loved every bit of it.

Post by taichokage (12,697 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Thanks Dream. I knew nothing about that.
Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Siren has a small library of gems that are out of print in the US or just never released here like Kaiba (one of the greatest anime ever made imo), Tatami Galaxy, Dennou Coil, Perfect Blue, and others. They had House of Five Leaves a year or so before NISA picked it up as well.

Post by Destinyheroknight (10,192 posts) See mini bio Level 21

It always good to give yourself a break once in a while , I reduce my Anime watching and I feel way more positive :)

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel