Cutting Down on Anime

Topic started by Dream on April 20, 2014. Last post by Destinyheroknight 2 months, 2 weeks ago.
Post by Dream (7,270 posts) See mini bio Level 20

Well as much as it pains me to say this, but I think I've gotten to the point where I'm gonna be cutting down on my anime viewing for the foreseeable future. For those of you not in the know, I have been a fan of anime for over 12 years now since I started watching anime more regularly thanks to Cartoon Network's offerings via their Toonami and Adult Swim blocks. But over the past several months, it has gotten rather difficult for me to enjoy many titles considering many of them pretty much recycle a premise or are of genres that continue to get milked for hype and popularity that aren't so good quality wise for me. And if you've seen as much anime as I have, you'll start to notice when anime studios are recycling stuff for their offerings. And I'd rather engage in this hobby of mine if it is something I enjoy instead of getting tired of it. Because I'll be cutting down on viewing, I won't be so active with posting anime reviews as I have been. I'll still be watching any current titles that catch my interest and buying the occasional title that gets my attention. I actually plan to do something for covering physical anime releases now and then since I'll have plenty of free time on Vice now with Ani-Crap Reviews ending this week and my anime viewing load not being so heavy.

What this boils down to is this. Am I done with anime? No. It's just I'll be cutting down on any spare time I spend towards it since I won't be as committed to viewing it as I used to. Feel free to comment on things with these developments.

Post by takashichea (11,157 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

It's all right. Pretty most folks in this community watch or read 2-3 shows. Folks like myself watch a ton of new shows. I remember commenting on past seasonal guides that's nothing interesting or stands out. That's perfectly normal because each season doesn't bring a lot of originality. Anime pretty revolves around recycling concepts. There are some shows that diamonds in the rough while there are some really hyped up ones (Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill)

For me, I work on the seasonal guides and promoting the anime discussion threads. It's more like a job to watch anime now applying wiki and front news work.

Post by Marshal Victory (1,980 posts) See mini bio Level 13

@Dream: This season I have dropped 5 shows fairly quick. Last season almost watched all of the shows that season but 5 so that shows how much it can wax an wane. To fill up time lost I go look at older anime. Like Kindaichi Case Files http://www.animevice.com/young-kindaichi-files/11-5072/ or Soul Eater when I get around to it.

Thing to remember is any hobby is like chocolate ,to much an you get sick of it. Variety is the spice of life an all that.I rarely watch network tv because growing up watched so much the plots an jokes are almost predictable at times that it ruins the shows fun. Thats one of the strengths of anime to me is plots do not fall where I think they will. More so if I avoid the intro an exit song an animations.

Post by DBZ_universe (15,510 posts) See mini bio Level 17

I really don't watch anime. I prefer reading manga instead. I enjoy it way more and I do not lose interest.

I only watch comedy anime if I do decide to watch anime.

Post by takashichea (11,157 posts) See mini bio Level 25
Online Now

Looking back at this thread, we could be losing our most prominent reviewer in the site. Compared to Screened, their community during Stacey and FinalDasa era were predominantly reviewers and wiki editors. Anime Vice's community is more wiki and battle oriented. Even with Kuma's news of RPG, the RPG forum isn't what it was a few years ago. To me, it's less active than the battle forum and wiki editors but more active than fan fic, artist show off and other parts of the community.

Because our site depends on site personalities instead of the community, it loses power. Most folks come here to engage with others. One of the flaws that even outsiders mentioned is that we don't talk about anime and manga. When you post here, you will be lucky to get a few comments. I thank the well rounded and active users to continually to contribute whether it's wiki editing, reviewing, or commenting. A little goes a long way.

Back to Dream, comments on the reviews came mostly from Taichokage. Most reviews were made by Dream and SnowyMountain. We need to think of something to boost the reviews. I remember Dream pointed out a key thing in the Anime Vice 2013's Top Reviewers that we don't emphasize or praise our reviewers. Reviewers are alive when you have folks providing feedback. I remember that Etragedy mention that when he wanted to leave the site.

Edit:

Same applies to the Fan Fic forum which is more dead than the review section.

Post by Lurkero (401 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I don't mind praising reviewers or contributing to discussion, but I am not an avid enough anime watcher to contribute to editing and wiki and all the content creation.

I became jaded on anime years ago and decided not to waste so much of my time on things I am struggling to enjoy. Occasionally there is something like Attack on Titan or Kill La Kill that brings interesting new things to the table, and when Tom reviews anime I watch I try to comment on each article to show my support to the site.

Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24

I can't help but think that making threads like what shitty show should I force myself to watch to completion? have led to burnout. Anyways, have fun. You don't have to watch everything. Or even most things. If you've been doing it for 12 years you probably have developed an anime eye where you can read a description of a show or a see just a picture and have a good idea of what you're getting into. Just watch that stuff or things you keep hearing about that sound like they might be something glossed over.

I remember a time where I was watching like multiple hours a day, finishing a 52-episode series in a week, etc. Just a straight one-way ticket to burnout city and it's hard for me to imagine how I even found stuff like that enjoyable. Especially combined with how I would finish almost anything I started, whether I was enjoying it or not.

Being way more selective in what I watch has worked out perfectly for me. I also found that when I dropped the watch everything mentality, I found a lot more shows that were up my alley.

@sickVisionz: Very nice post. I agree 100% I do the kinda the same when I select manga to read.

Post by taichokage (12,697 posts) See mini bio Level 20
I tend to only watch anime over Manga when A. The series of interest has no manga basis like Gurren Lagann and B. It's a complete anime that covered the whole manga and with little to no censorship, like Monster or Yu Yu Hakusho (although the ending was altered). I feel you Dream. It's like you're forcing yourself to watch titles. I have done this too, but I'm a lot less patient now. I usually give something 5 - 10 episodes before dropping it now. That's only fair for short titles as that could encompass a good amount of the show to begin with. I might give longer titles a bit more time, but I try not to fall into forcing myself to watch something just because I started it.
Post by MikuMikuFan (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6

I don't get what people mean when they say that anime are recycled. Almost every anime that I've seen or heard of looks pretty much different than the last. I think you're focusing too much of genre and you're creating a false sense of familiarity. You have to really see the characters and story for what they truly are. Not just what you see on the outside.

Post by Dream (7,270 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@MikuMikuFan: Nothing is original. Much like American TV and movies, anime titles borrow ideas from past titles to rehash plot scenarios and character types that appeal to a wide audience and the creators milk the popularity of an ongoing fad that is presently popular with fanbases. There will be titles that will make an effort with quality for their storytelling, while others are more concerned with making a quick buck off whatever title they are making an adaptation of (seeing as the majority of titles are based on manga, video games, novels, etc...)

And making assumptions on what you think me and others look for in anime and manga is kind of ignorant, especially if you haven't seen the thousand-plus titles I've been exposed to over the past 12 years I've been a fan of anime and can get a general grasp of what the majority of titles will be like.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,734 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Dream: I kind of feel you. I thought I had simply run out of titles that interested me. Then I started forcing myself to watch everything current. At least 5+ shows a season. Generally this works well, the first few episodes of most shows are usually hard to get through, and yes most of the plots are recycled, but I force myself to watch enough of it that I get attached to the characters and develop a genuine interest in their interactions. The end result is their are at least a few shows a season that im genuinely sad when their over (i.e Medaka Box) or have me anticipating more (DAL, monogatari) and some im so enamoured with I have to read all the manga/LN/source material I can (i.e hs dxd, index) Even the more medicore ones I feel somewhat attached to (I.e Sonico) In about 3 yrs worth of anime that I've tried doing this with Ive only ever dropped Nisekoi. (I generally never drop an anime, besides Nisekoi I've only ever dropped Noien and FMP yrs ago)

Just what works for me though.

I might actually cut down some mangas due to my return in the iron pumping....

Yeah, didn't you once mention you were really high on the weights? On topic, if I cut down on anime it won't be deliberate although I may have to with upcoming events. Mostly better employment opportunities.

@taichokage: Yes. My max was around 450 max in squatting but now I have drop down so much lol...

But yeah same here as you actually, better employment opportunities..as well as videogames too. Gotta cut them down.

Wow. I'm like 1/3 of that. Lol. You're pushing peak human range. I'd say maybe top tier in the Ippo verse. I appear to be fodder tier.
Post by sickVisionz (4,242 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@MikuMikuFan: Have you watched a lot of anime? A ton of it is just madlibs, where they maybe swap out some proper nouns here and there but the characters and even plot points all play out the same.

@hitsusatsu11 said:

I thought I had simply run out of titles that interested me. Then I started forcing myself to watch everything current.

That sounds like an absolute nightmare to me. I get the idea of stepping out of your comfort zone, especially if it's a type of show that you simply assume you won't like despite having never given a single thing in that genre a shot, but just watching everything with no discretion? If you're stepping out of your comfort zone I'd probably suggest trying something old that was well reviewed at least. A lot of crap anime comes out every season. It'd be really messed up if you experimented in a genre using a show that's dreck.

Post by Bigheart711 (3,712 posts) See mini bio Level 21

@sickVisionz said:

@hitsusatsu11 said:

I thought I had simply run out of titles that interested me. Then I started forcing myself to watch everything current.

That sounds like an absolute nightmare to me.

...Especially if you have a lot of IRL crap to deal with. I can hardly handle one series and I'm currently watching four (counting the older series).

Having a break from anime for me is possible, but at most, a week or two if RL is kicking my A.

Post by hitsusatsu11 (10,734 posts) See mini bio Level 20

@Bigheart711: @sickVisionz: Its worked pretty well for me so far of the 25 or so titles from the last 3 seasons Ive watched I've only struggled to finish Coppelion, Sonico and Golden Time-but I admit while they weren't great they were somewhat entertaining. If im really not feeling something I will drop it, as I did with Nisekoi. As for it cutting into RL time, it only amounts to around ten or so episodes a week, which I have plenty of time for on top of working full time and taking care of my own place.

For me I generally have a sticking point, If I can get past the first few epps and like some of the characters I get hooked. Same thing when I read a book, the first few chapters im usually indifferent to but then when im into it im in deep.

Post by MikuMikuFan (9 posts) See mini bio Level 6

@Dream said:

@MikuMikuFan: Nothing is original. Much like American TV and movies, anime titles borrow ideas from past titles to rehash plot scenarios and character types that appeal to a wide audience and the creators milk the popularity of an ongoing fad that is presently popular with fanbases. There will be titles that will make an effort with quality for their storytelling, while others are more concerned with making a quick buck off whatever title they are making an adaptation of (seeing as the majority of titles are based on manga, video games, novels, etc...)

And making assumptions on what you think me and others look for in anime and manga is kind of ignorant, especially if you haven't seen the thousand-plus titles I've been exposed to over the past 12 years I've been a fan of anime and can get a general grasp of what the majority of titles will be like.

Aren't you assuming that I haven't seen as much anime as you have?

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel