Cowboy Bebop/Outlaw Star/Trigun

Topic started by justanormalguy on Dec. 28, 2011. Last post by sickVisionz 2 years, 6 months ago.
Post by justanormalguy (270 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Which of these classic animes is better than the other two? On what grounds? What did you find interesting about said anime over the others? Which anime had the better characters and character development? Which had the better plot? Etc. Etc. If you could recommend just one of these to a newcomer into anime to try and get them into anime, which one would you choose? (Of course watching all 3 is the best way, but pick just one to kick them off into anime.)

@MisterX: Care to elaborate on a few of those points? What about Cowboy Bebop would attract them the most, specifically?

Post by Dream (7,193 posts) See mini bio Level 20
All three would be capable of attracting casual anime fans thanks to the Western appeal they would have with their characters and settings, as well as having easy plots to follow. Quality wise, I would go with Cowboy Bebop as the series tends to experiment with diverse genres in exploring its world and characters, the diverse soundtrack with Western musical genres such as blues and jazz, its high quality animation sticking out for a late 1990s TV anime title and having more than enough time to explore the dilemmas of the Cowboy Bebop crew. Trigun and Outlaw Star make for decent watches. However, Trigun is a bit slow in its plot picking up steam as we get more focus on the comical shenanigans of Vash in its first half before the series elaborates more on his past and the issues he faces with the Gung Ho Guns in the second half of the series, even with its decent focus on the theme of sticking with one's moral beliefs. Outlaw Star is more about being gritty, comical and cool than having anything meaningful to explore with its plot and characters as the series hardly has time to explore anything relevant concerning Melfina and her connection to the Galactic Leyline thanks to the many side-plots and filler episodes that the series gets into.
Post by Dr_Ventum (162 posts) See mini bio Level 7

I have never watched Outlaw Star.

As for the other two, I like watching Trigun more as a whole(I really like the story) but I like Bebop more single episode wise.

Both are great.

@ReplicaRex: You don't like Steve Blum? Why?

@ReplicaRex: What is オタク? Is that Japanese for Otaku or something? (I'm sure I'm not it, whatever it is)

@ReplicaRex: Alright, I was thinking that.

@ReplicaRex: Damn. I love Steve Blum. Him and Chris Sabat have to have probably the two greatest voices in all of voice acting.

@ReplicaRex: Nah. He's good, but not Chris Sabat or Steve Blum good.

Post by sickVisionz (4,233 posts) See mini bio Level 24

Cowboy Bebop. It's very episodic so you can jump in on almost any episode and not be confused. It's funny, the action, is good and it stays entertaining the whole time which is why I'd recommend it to anyone, anime fan or not.

Trigun drags at times, has wild out of the blue tonal shifts, and jumps the shark constantly during its second half in a way that's probably only cool to deep sci-fi fans or people who are used to anime's tendency to jump the shark in the craziest of ways. I haven't seen Outlaw Star in almost a decade and I never saw it in complete chronological order so I don't have much to say about it other than that I remember it being good, but I don't think it has the broad appeal of Bebop.

@ReplicaRex said:

1. They'll watch it in English and love it, and then go around claiming to be オタク。 We have enough of these kinds of fanboys already we don't need anymore.

Why on Earth are you upset that people watch Bebop and it gets them into anime or they love it so much that they'd call themselves an anime fan?

Post by sickVisionz (4,233 posts) See mini bio Level 24

@ReplicaRex: I guess... I've never really understood being upset that other people like something or consider themselves a fan of something they like. But maybe I'm more into welcoming newcomers than slamming a door in their face and calling them fake just because they haven't read/seen as much as I have.

I am curious though, how many anime do people have to watch or manga do they have to read before it's ok for them to identify themselves as someone who really likes anime/manga or can claim to be a real/legit fan?

Enjoying one anime should allow for you to be a fan IMO. Being a fan to me means you can enjoy something, you enjoy one anime then technically you're an anime fan to me. Not a otaku or hardcore fan, but still a fan in my eyes.

This is a tricky one to answer, because these are current "pop culture" items, and true fans are a bit hard to distinguish from someone who just watched the show because "it was the thing to do" or "everyone else is doing it". I can remember the days when anime wasn't so mainstream.

(Off-topic regarding the pop culture) I do suffer that same feel. Because it's the "it" thing now, if I don't like anime, my old friends who got into anime won't talk to me anymore. It's happened, and I find it ridiculous. I like anime, but I'm certainly not otaku compared to my friends, and that difference strays me away from them. It's unfortunate, but that's the way things are.

I have no issue with people being fans of the newest popular thing.

Then again I have a tendency to latch onto the latest thing I've been into so I may be more cool with the whole thing than most.

@Dr_Ventum: When the popular thing takes over people's lives, that's where it gets ridiculous.

Anime is fake, Comic books are fake, Video Games are fake, Excuse me Sally, but you will never get a date with Justin Bieber!

When fake things and things that will never happen take over people's lives, that's where it gets dumb. Mic check. Hello? Reality is calling. It wants you back.

@justanormalguy: Obsession with almost anything is bad for you. Even things that are real.

@Dr_Ventum: Moderation is good. For everything. Too much of anything is bad for you, as the saying goes.

That's why I kind of have a "dislike" if you will for people that are otaku for anything, from comics to anime to video games, etc. I mean, cosplaying? It seems to me that you are trying to live out a fantasy, but in truth you are not that person, so why live out a lie? You can't turn Super Saiyan Goku-wannabe. You aren't the Full-Metal Alchemist broski. You can be a fan, but idolizing fake characters.... that's just weird. And it gets to that point.

@justanormalguy: I disagree with you. A lot of the stuff that seems crazy and obsessive isn't as bad as you'd think. Cosplay is just dressing up as characters you like, and there's nothing wrong with that. We all had fun with Halloween after all.

It's find to look up to fictional characters, there are plenty of inspiring ones and they can be a bit more pure than real people thanks to the fiction aspect. I mean, who doesn't want to be morally like Spider-Man? He's got a great moral code that anyone can follow.

@Dr_Ventum: The more you grow up, the less you dress up for Halloween.

And I hate Spider-Man. Lol.

It's not bad to look up to.... well, see I would be contradicting myself, because idolizing false "gods" or "idols" if you will completely takes you out of what is reality. Understand the present. Understand what is real and what is not. Why idolize Goku when you could be idolizing/respecting Stephen Jay Gould for his contributions to science? Strive to be like Gould, not Goku. You feel me? Understand what is real. Be a fan and enjoy what is not real, but live in reality, not fantasy.

@justanormalguy: Lots of people do weird stuff, cosplay is usually fine.

>:(

They're fictional, everyone knows it, there's still nothing wrong with looking up to them IMO.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel