Comic Book Club

Topic started by Supreme Marvel on Sept. 11, 2013. Last post by DeathOfWest 14 hours, 39 minutes ago.
Post by takashichea (15,196 posts) See mini bio Level 25

Curious. Why did they change the gender of Thor after establishing his character for so long?

Post by taichokage (16,161 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@takashichea: They didn't technically. Thor Odinson still exists. But he can't use Mjolnir currently. It was claimed by it's current user. But as to why they replaced him, it's probably the same reason they changed Captain America who is even longer established than Thor. A lot of fans are furious but others are giving them a chance. In honesty, I don't think either will last for very long. Maybe a few years.

Post by takashichea (15,196 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@taichokage:

Hmm, I looked up Captain America, thinking his gender was changed. I was wrong. His role was taken by Sam Wilson, Falcon. I'm really behind in mainstream comic news. I should brush up and check some comic news.

Diversity in comics is pretty good reason. I think anime doesn't have issues with diversity to the same degree that comics have. I could be wrong.

Post by Supreme Marvel (5,259 posts) See mini bio Level 12

The one thing I've wanted to happen for years now.

Post by AnimeDefender (2,722 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@SMXLR8: So do I :).

@taichokage said:

AnimeDefender: SMXLR8:

Very interesting idea. I'm a fan of the type of female character. But no alternate version of Thor has lasted. But if we're lucky it might turn into a Beta Ray Bill type of thing. I don't think this is very different because Thor is still around. He just gave up mjolnir.

Magni the son of Thor was a decent idea too but that died really fast.

So basically Marvel is testing the waters for this character??? I rather hope so because usually when Thor Odinson loses his hammer it usually means he has to make himself redeemable somehow.

@takashichea: Comic's having more diversity in anime???? I doubt it, hell a few people (yeah not a good statistic lol) from comicvine believe that anime is much more diverse :/....

@Supreme Marvel said:

The one thing I've wanted to happen for years now.

Is that Gorilla Grodd against the bat family??? Still trying to get into comics so I don't know :(.

Post by taichokage (16,161 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Online Now

@AnimeDefender: Yeah that can be assumed. He lost his powers when Bill gained the power of Thor too. But there was heavy backlash. Basically:

Thor's power was handed over to someone else, furthermore, it was a female, and Thor is supposed to be the Viking icon of masculinity.

Captain America's mantle is now in the hands of an African American. Captain America's character is so old that it pre-dates the Civil Rights movement. This is a very interesting move.

There is also a non canon Spiderman that is half Black and half Hispanic iirc,but I haven't actually read into that.

I understand the backlash to be honest. It has nothing to do wit the Race and Gender of the characters, it's casting aside the most iconic characters established for half a century or longer for questionable substitutes.

I don't understand. They could have made Thor's daughter a mainstream hero rather than try and replace Thor himself and that would've avoided the backlash. Think in the reverse if DC attempted to make Diane into Danny. That would not bode well.

Post by AnimeDefender (2,722 posts) See mini bio Level 12

@taichokage: So basically for the people that like a FemThor have to pray that DC doesn't put the character in the back burner because of the backlash.

@AnimeDefender: Yeah, I think it might be Flashpoint Grodd.

Post by DeathOfWest (134 posts) See mini bio Level 6
@taichokage: That's Miles Morales, Ultimate Univese spiderman. He still has ongoing series & is definitely more popular than the trainwreck called Superior Spider Man. 

And speaking of current Thor, I'm somewhat disappointed that God of Thunder series has to suddenly come to a halt. It was much intresting idea than having female Thor, connecting Thor's past, present & future. Aaron was just starting to build up the setting. The only reason I'm currently reading Thor is because Aaron happens to be one of my favourite writer & he did superb job with God of Thunder. 

And here is a recommendation to a fellow Thor fan if you haven't read this one.

Written by the same guy who created Beta Ray Bill.

@Supreme Marvel: Is that a new bat family title? Or a convergence hype?

@DeathOfWest: Sadly, the Convergence. AS IF, I'd get what I wanted out of this New52.

Post by DeathOfWest (134 posts) See mini bio Level 6
So CM Punk is writing a Thor comics now. It'd be funny to see him 1. Trying to write comics 2. Writing about a guy who is a well known drinker & 3. Writing a guy who is known for carrying a Hammer.
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel