Comic Book Club

Topic started by Supreme Marvel on Sept. 11, 2013. Last post by takashichea 1 day, 14 hours ago.
Post by Guyver (3,406 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Favorite Comic-book Characters: 1. Spider-Man 2. Batman 3. Captain America 4. Wolverine 5. Leonardo(TMNT) 6. Superman 7. X-23 8. Catwoman 9. Ghost Rider 10. Blue Beetle
Post by takashichea (11,069 posts) See mini bio Level 25

@Guyver:

I'll add you. Thank you. Feel free to discuss anything. I don't read a lot of comic books. I just talk about animated adaptations.

I just added SexyMerc and Guyver.

Post by GokaiRed (158 posts) See mini bio Level 7

@SMXLR8 said:

Does anyone read the Udon comic version of street fighter?

I have almost if not all the floppies of Street Fighter, i'll get the big GNs sooner or later

Post by Guyver (3,406 posts) See mini bio Level 14
So, the new "Ms. Marvel" and "Moon Knight" books are a lot of fun.
Post by Supreme Marvel (5,069 posts) See mini bio Level 12

I'm really liking the Green Arrow stuff. Great partnership of Lemire and Sorrentino.

I'm looking forward to what Pak and Johns have install for Superman with Action/Superman comics.

Will Pfeifer, what he is gonna do with Teen Titans.

Post by xlab3000 (1,368 posts) See mini bio Level 10

Screw it I don't care if it's old. The Avengers vs X-Men comic book series is BEAST.

Comics I'm reading at the moment. Or will be.

Green Arrow - Jeff Lemire and BEAUTIFUL art by Andrea Sorrentino - who I joined GA for

Action Comics - Greg Pak who has put a really good feeling back into Superman.

Batman & Superman - Greg Pak and Jae Lee - who again has beautiful art.

Green Lantern The New Guardians - mainly for Kyle Rayner - but am behind a lot on it.

Wonder Woman - Azzarello has got me to read WW, that is a fantastic achievement. I've tried for years and not worked. I'm behind on it, but will catch up.

Superman Unchained - Scott Snyder and Jim Lee - behind, will catch up

Superman & Wonder Woman - I'm reading it for how the act with each other

Batman - I've been really pleased with it. However, I've stopped until Zero Year is over, then I'll read them all in one go.

Batman Eternal - am waiting for Tim Drake to shine in it. They're taking the PISS!!

I'm looking forward to reading Teen Titans by Pfeifer. I hope he uses Tim well. HATED LOBDELL'S TEEN TITANS

Another one is Geoff Johns' Superman. This is what Johns has done on Action Comics years ago: Last Son - BRILLIANT; BRAINIAC - GREAT; LEGION OF SUPERHEROES - BRILLIANT. I have not not liked his work. I love Johns.

Post by taichokage (12,669 posts) See mini bio Level 20
Even though anime/manga are my niche, I was into comics first. Eventually I want to get all volumes of Thor 616, the Secret War Saga and some of the New 52 series.
Post by xlab3000 (1,368 posts) See mini bio Level 10

You guys gotta read Spawn.

Post by GokaiRed (158 posts) See mini bio Level 7

Went to the signing of The Wicked + Devine a while ago

@xlab3000:

Which issues for Spawn?

@takashichea said:

@xlab3000:

Which issues for Spawn?

I think he means in general. Spawn from the start has good art.

Post by KingOfAsh (1,332 posts) See mini bio Level 15

Currently reading American Vampire

Anyone going to Comic Con at San Diego this year? I can't attend since tickets sold out. I will cover news.

Spawn had a manga adaption based on the comic. I also vaguely know the character from material I read years ago and the movie which I have no idea how much it correlates to the comic.

@taichokage:

How did you get into comic books? I'm still trying to figure out where to jump in.

@takashichea: As a young child, I had older relatives who were into comics. I picked up a few of them and read them. Plus this was during the 90's and the X-men and Spiderman shows were airing during that time. The first comic I remember reading was an old Thor comic. The first exposure to comic characters overall was probably the 90's X-men show. I read a couple Justice League but mostly marvel since that's what most of my family read. At one point We had a fair collection of around 300 issues, but eventually I was the only one really reading them. On my own I bought a few classic books including Jack Kirby's New Gods and Miracle Man which are DC and Classic 60's and 70's issues of X-men, Spiderman and a few others. My favorite back then was probably Silver Surfer and he's still in my top 5 solo heroes. Comics lead me to anime and manga for the most part I would say, even though I had seen episodes of Fist of the North Star and DBZ around the same time I got into comics. I didn't know exactly what they were though at the time.

If you want to jump in, maybe starting with the 90's Spiderman or X-men would be a good idea. They are comparably lighthearted to most of the anime I've seen but have their moments of darkness and emotion. I know light-hearted series aren't a turn off for you though so I think you will enjoy them. If you don't then you probably won't need to try the comics. Those two series in particular have mostly canon material so getting into the comics from them would be a pretty smooth transition. Marvel also made the Ultimate line of comics to give new readers the easy opportunity to understand all the major characters like the X-men, Avengers and Fantastic Four and what not. It's not canon but is enjoyable.

@taichokage:

I remember the X-Men animated series was the best Marvel animated series of its decade. You started out with Marvel. I can't remember what I started with in comic book based animated shows back then. My favorite Marvel hero was always Spider-Man while DC was Batman for me. Their shows were great. I got through the animated shows first then the comic books. I still want to try the comic books. It's just that the world of comics is so big. I'm overwhelmed with what to try. Plus, that's the whole canon or not canon thing that confuses me.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look for those.

Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel