Books Reading and Recomindations

Topic started by Hawk on Dec. 6, 2008. Last post by Lan 5 years, 8 months ago.
Post by Hawk (272 posts) See mini bio Level 8
We know your reading comics and such.......but.....what books are you reading.

Any recomindations? What's your favorite book? More to come..........

Hawk is currently reading:
Host
Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
Post by Slinger (399 posts) See mini bio Level 7
My favorite ever is Catcher in the Rye. I would also recommend reading A Clockwork Orange instead of watching the movie. Um, I'm sure there were others that I liked, but that's it for now.
Post by DualReaver (136 posts) See mini bio Level 4
Recomindations? I don't think anyone wants their reading advice from you.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Harry Potter is shit.

My recommendation would be my favorite book of all time, "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

Slinger said:
"My favorite ever is Catcher in the Rye. I would also recommend reading A Clockwork Orange instead of watching the movie. Um, I'm sure there were others that I liked, but that's it for now."
ACO movie is just as good as the book.
Black_Rose said:
"Harry Potter is shit.

My recommendation would be my favorite book of all time, "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

Slinger said:
"My favorite ever is Catcher in the Rye. I would also recommend reading A Clockwork Orange instead of watching the movie. Um, I'm sure there were others that I liked, but that's it for now."
ACO movie is just as good as the book.
"
Have you read the book? It's waaaay better in my opinion, not to say the movie is bad. The added chapter is great, and I think you get a better grip on the language.

Oscar Wilde is amazing, nice recommendation, I second it.
Post by hazelnutman (142 posts) See mini bio Level 2
To Kill a Mockingbird.
Post by Black_Rose (1,204 posts) See mini bio Level 11
Slinger said:
"Have you read the book? It's waaaay better in my opinion, not to say the movie is bad. The added chapter is great, and I think you get a better grip on the language.

Oscar Wilde is amazing, nice recommendation, I second it."
I did read the book, otherwise i wouldn't be stating my opinion. I think both are magnificent, but the ending of the book is cliche, a problem that Kubrick solved with his ending (even if unintentionally).
Black_Rose said:
"I did read the book, otherwise i wouldn't be stating my opinion."
Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound as if it were an accusation, I was just curious cause I don't know a lot of people who have, and a lot of people I've noticed like to give opinions on things they know nothing about. (again not saying I thought you were)

I guess to each their own, I thought something was lost without the ending. I didn't think it was very cliche, but I thought it was actually kind of interesting that he managed to grow up and out of his violent behavior, instead of being a grown man continuing the same cycle ad infinitum.
Post by RedRoses (1,437 posts) See mini bio Level 14
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov is a fantastic book that talks about the perspective of a pedophile. It's really well written because the main character Herbert tries to make you sympathize with him about his predicament in having relations with a younger girl. It is an awesome, controversial book.

I also recommend Beloved by Toni Morrison because it's so bloody confusing and awesome. The mysteries are unraveled as you continue reading and there's all these hidden messages in it if read carefully. I love the character development in this story since the characters seemed real.
RedRoses said:
"Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov is a fantastic book that talks about the perspective of a pedophile. It's really well written because the main character Herbert tries to make you sympathize with him about his predicament in having relations with a younger girl. It is an awesome, controversial book.

I also recommend Beloved by Toni Morrison because it's so bloody confusing and awesome. The mysteries are unraveled as you continue reading and there's all these hidden messages in it if read carefully. I love the character development in this story since the characters seemed real."
Beloved and Lolita? Are you my ex-GF? jk

Beloved is outstanding, in fact, just about all of Toni Morrison is. Have you read Jazz?
Post by CitizenKane (23 posts) See mini bio Level 4
I'm reading Paradise Lost right now.  Once finished, I am going to start reading The Brothers Karamazov.
Post by Baku_Sensei (464 posts) See mini bio Level 10
Black_Rose said:
"My recommendation would be my favorite book of all time, "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde."
You know what? You're awesome. It's also one of my favorites.

On top of that, I recommend Haruki Murakami. Any of his books would be a good one, but I personally recommend "Kafka on the Shore" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle". There's also anything by Alexandre Dumas. Lastly, I'll recommend you to read the "Tales of the Otori" by Liam Hearn.
Baku_Sensei said:
"There's also anything by Alexandre Dumas."
'The Count of Monte Cristo' is an absolute classic! And of course 'The Three Musketeers.'
Slinger said:
Beloved and Lolita? Are you my ex-GF? jk

Beloved is outstanding, in fact, just about all of Toni Morrison is. Have you read Jazz?"
haha. What's the chance that I would be your ex? haha XD

I am going to read Jazz after I read the Bluest Eyes. I am currently reading that and it is really great.
Jazz had me in tears at points, the ending is especially beautiful. It's a little tricky to read because of how it was written, but well worth it!
A lot of Toni Morrison's books are a bit tricky to read but I really love how she writes her stuff. I'm almost done with the Bluest Eyes so I'll probably read Jazz next (along with other books as well).
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
If we're talking classics? It's a tough read, but I absolutely LOVE The Sound and the Fury. On a considerably lighter note, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is made of 100% pure concentrated win.

...Unfortunately, lately I'm trying to keep up on all of my anime and manga, so my novel-reading time has been pretty limited. I still haven't gotten around to reading Time Traveler's Wife...
Post by Pepper (2,496 posts) See mini bio Level 11
All of these are great for girls, they are by shojo beat
  • Chibi Vampire
  • Absolute Boyfriend
  • Sand Chronicles <---tear jerker alert  :`(```
gia said:
"If we're talking classics? It's a tough read, but I absolutely LOVE The Sound and the Fury. On a considerably lighter note, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is made of 100% pure concentrated win.

...Unfortunately, lately I'm trying to keep up on all of my anime and manga, so my novel-reading time has been pretty limited. I still haven't gotten around to reading Time Traveler's Wife..."
42!
Post by gia (3,032 posts) See mini bio Level 13
Too perfect.
Too perfect.
Actually, my city (Portland, OR) has a campaign of people trying to get them to rename NE 42nd St. to NE Douglas Adams Way. I bought a bumper sticker to support it, it's still on my car-- it says "Do You Know Where Your Towel Is?" ;)
Mandatory Network

Submissions can take several hours to be approved.

Save ChangesCancel